How well does the Bigwater SE perform?

waylander

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004
I don't like repackaged systems for water cooling as I find the components are typically not of high quality and are underdesigned. I would never add a gpu water block to the system and like you said the pumps are usually underpowered. They also tend to use small diameter tubing (3/8" or 1/4").

In general you get more value when you custom build water cooling, just like custom building computers.

The safe temperature for a cpu doesn't change whether it's stock or OC'd, each cpu is difference so check for your particular one.

waylander

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004
What I meant was that you can't add a gpu water block (to cool your video card Graphics Processing Unit) to a bigwater system without losing performance.

klosterdev

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2006
It shouldn't matter, I have no intent to add anything to my X1900XTX. Its fan already takes up a whole extra slot and that thing is pretty much clocked as high as it can go if I remember. Didn't they only manage to overclock it by three percent or so?

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
I've heard problems about the pump failing.

Also, what's a safe upper-tempreture limit for the CPU when overclocking?
Your CPU is probably safe to ~ 80C, but never run it that high. I would try and keep load temps to under 60C. GL :)

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
If you're having doubts with the Bigwater pump then just get the swiftech kit for it's pump is really powerful and reliable.
Swiftech would be the better route to take, but they are double the price of the Bigwater SE. :?

Rhinofart

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
The Swiftech kits are a bit expensive, but I find it well worth it. I have the H20 Apex Ultra. (Storm waterblock) with the MCRW55 VGA block. My CPU Dual Core Opteron 175 is clocked to 2750Mhz, and the VC is clocked to 580 core / 1200 DDR Ram. My office gets soo hot with all the computers running that I will just start sweating sitting here. But my processor under full load maxes out at 49c and gets up to 51 when playing games for quite some time. The 49c is after running an instance of Prime95 on each core for about a day or 2. This thing has been 100% rock stable for months, the longest stretch I had with Prime running was 2.5 weeks. The only reason I shut her down was to put my new soundcard in, and she went back at it. Long story short. You get what you pay for no matter what it is.

RichPLS

Champion
Take a look at the BigWater 745... I have that and the SE version...
With the 745, I just cool my Opty 175 using the dual core radiator, and the single core 2nd one, is a spare for a future system... Much better quality 12v pump incl with the 745 also...

akhannay

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2006
Hello i am a noob. I really really need help... i have a p5wd2-e Premium mobo and an 805 with a thermaltake bigwater SE intalled (in my eyes) flawlessly on the outside of the case with a fan on the inside pushing air out and a fan on the outside pulling air through (dual fan with radiator inbetween, like a cooling hamburger)... this is my problem and any replies will be appreciated. I have it clocked to 3.6Ghz and and my temps are as follows. Idle 54Deg and load 68Deg. It climbs almost instantly to those values. like whithin 2 seconds from idle to load it will climb 14Deg and drop just as fast when the load dissapears. Firstly this does not seem right. It is my first time with WC but isnt the temps supposed to gradually increse. i have a paper thin layer of thermaltake paste on the blk. I cannot under any circumstances (voltage etc) get past 3.6ghz as my pc just freezes... i am so sad a i spent loads of cash for this setup. dunno if this helps but i have 2x 1024Mb ADATA DDR800 5-5-5-12.
1. Is the quick change in temps normal?
2. Is the bigwater SE that crappe or have i installed it wrong?

Thanks for the replies!!!

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
:)
Hello i am a noob. I really really need help... i have a p5wd2-e Premium mobo and an 805 with a thermaltake bigwater SE intalled (in my eyes) flawlessly on the outside of the case with a fan on the inside pushing air out and a fan on the outside pulling air through (dual fan with radiator inbetween, like a cooling hamburger)... this is my problem and any replies will be appreciated. I have it clocked to 3.6Ghz and and my temps are as follows. Idle 54Deg and load 68Deg. It climbs almost instantly to those values. like whithin 2 seconds from idle to load it will climb 14Deg and drop just as fast when the load dissapears. Firstly this does not seem right. It is my first time with WC but isnt the temps supposed to gradually increse. i have a paper thin layer of thermaltake paste on the blk. I cannot under any circumstances (voltage etc) get past 3.6ghz as my pc just freezes... i am so sad a i spent loads of cash for this setup. dunno if this helps but i have 2x 1024Mb ADATA DDR800 5-5-5-12.
1. Is the quick change in temps normal?
2. Is the bigwater SE that crappe or have i installed it wrong?

Thanks for the replies!!!
The preferred way to mount the rad, is on the outside, blowing in. That way the cooler outside air cools the rad.
This is said to be good for 4-6C lower temps. GL :)

akhannay

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2006
O My i am an idiot!!! THANKS a million! great idea...
i will do that right now... how bout the quick fluctuating temps? is that normal or is my block not touching correctly? thermaltake paste good?

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
done... turned the fans around... workin 4deg less...you ROCK thanks... and idea bout the quick fluctuations?
Well, it's a good thing when temps return to normal quickly. Not so good if they raise to peak levels within a few seconds. I think the speed with which the temp rises is not as important as the full load and idle temps.
Just makes sure that you have decent airflow trough the case. One more thing, i've read many customer reviews on the Big Water SE, and >75% of them had troubles with air bubbles in the lines. They say to turn off computer, and carefully move it from side-to-side so the bubbles will
loosen and find their way to the reservoir. Then turn back on. You may have to do this severeal times, or for a day or two, til all the lines are free of bubbles. They all say it makes a huge difference also(if that was the problem). GL :)

PS. Arctic Silver 5 Thermal paste is the best, and although ~$10 /tube, should work better than the Thermaltake stuff.

akhannay

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2006
Hi 1Tanker... thanks for your time!!! i really appreciate it!... I reapplied the paste with arctic silver5 and i am now running stable at 3.8Ghz 1.5125v Idle39deg load48deg. YOU are a lifesaver and i have no words to thank you enough!!! But if there were words i would insert them here"_______________________________________________" Thanks again !!! :D :D :D :D :D

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
Hi 1Tanker... thanks for your time!!! i really appreciate it!... I reapplied the paste with arctic silver5 and i am now running stable at 3.8Ghz 1.5125v Idle39deg load48deg. YOU are a lifesaver and i have no words to thank you enough!!! But if there were words i would insert them here"_______________________________________________" Thanks again !!! :D :D :D :D :D
YVW and congrats. :wink:

akhannay

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2006
[/quote] hello...Thanks for the advice. Dunno i just didmt think before i spent... now i suppose i gotta just make the best of my purchace... but i have a BIG :cry: difficult question for all you guys! :lol: in point form when you own a bigwater for example what parts are best to spend your money on for upgrades? for eg... 1. Stronger Pump 2. bigger waterblock etc etc... thanks a million!!!

wun911

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2006
Cant walk past a stronger pump

stronger pump = more pressure = hot water is removed to rad faster.

Best Eg: If you purchase a high end water block that NEEDS good pressure and you give this high end water block a trickle of water it will run crap.

I think the stronger pump and the high end water blocks go hand in hand.

klosterdev

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2006
Can you buy the pump sperately, I already have a Bigwater SE.

Also, how high of a water to antifreeze ratio would you reccomend?

wun911

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2006
This depends what anti freeze you use because differnt brands of car antifreeze have differnt concentrations of ethylene glycol. Some tell you to dilute it 1:10 some tell you to dilute it 1:16 etc etc

Ethylene glycol is the main chemical component of anti freeze it is similar in structure to ethanol. It is a toxic substance so dont let your dog or cat lick it and dont drink it your self you will end up in hospital. The reason why dogs and cats lick the stuff up and love it so much is because apparenlty it's sweet in taste (never tried it myslef).

Pure ethylene glycol can be purchased from Sigma chemicals, it is probaby better to purchase pure analytical grade ethylene glycol because it will not have metal impurities, salts and dyes.

I put in around 10% this is the ratio needed to inhibit the growth of bacteria and fungi. If you decide to put in less it wont be effective enough to inhibit growth and some bacteria mae even use it up as food! If you put in too much it may effect the prefromance of your water cooling by a tad bit. This is because ethylene glycol does not absorb heat as well as water.

I recomend you try running your water system without it first once you see a tad bit of growth put the stuff in. At first just put in a little if you still see growth (ie turbidity in the tubes) put in a little more. Just remember the amout total amout you have put in to inhibit growth and add this amout next time you clean out your system.