Serious Problem with CPU Temperatures

janusx

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2006
OK so at Idle the CPU runs at 64C and at Load it gets to 70C. Here are my system specs.

Pentium D805 2.66ghz Stock
Asus P5WD2 Premium Motherboard
ATi Radeon X1800XT 512MB
1Gig OCZ Ram

I'm using an aftermarket cooler (Gigabyte Rocket Pro) that I bought off of newegg and it performs just as good as the Zalman fan everyone talks about. My gigabyte cooler was used on my old P43.0ghz and kept it to max load of 34C, so I know it works good. I applied a new coating of thermal paste to the Pentium D805 chip I recently bought when I recieved it from newegg and cleaned my Gigabyte Rocket Pro of all the old thermal paste and attached it to the new processor. I'm also gonna add I put a very thin layer of the thermal paste. The heatsink is sitting on the board and processor very tightly and is on correctly and is running at roughly 4200RPMs. SO WHY AM I STILL GETTING THESE REDICULOUSLY HOT TEMPERATURES??

What I will add and what my thoughts to the what the problem could be is that I am using VANTEC THERMAL PASTE as it is the only paste I have in my home and there are no computer shops where I live. This VANTEC THERMAL PASTE I'm using is what was leftover from my aftermarket cooling kit I installed on my old ATi Radeon 9800Pro. I believe this Paste may be crap because my beliefs are that it is restricting flow of heat to the heatsink because when I put my hand on the heatsink while the pc is on and under full load (Running FEAR) at 70degrees Celcius, my hand doesnt get burnt and the heatsink does not feel hot at all. Now i know the heatsink is doing something because if it wasn't the computer would automatically shutoff after a few seconds of overheating of the CPU, but i believe this VANTEC THERMAL PASTE is not allowing enough heat to move to the heatsink like ARCTIC SILVER 5 could.

Any thoughts/suggestions would be great. Thanks!

K8MAN

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2005
OK so at Idle the CPU runs at 64C and at Load it gets to 70C. Here are my system specs.

Pentium D805 2.66ghz Stock
Asus P5WD2 Premium Motherboard
ATi Radeon X1800XT 512MB
1Gig OCZ Ram

I'm using an aftermarket cooler (Gigabyte Rocket Pro) that I bought off of newegg and it performs just as good as the Zalman fan everyone talks about. My gigabyte cooler was used on my old P43.0ghz and kept it to max load of 34C, so I know it works good. I applied a new coating of thermal paste to the Pentium D805 chip I recently bought when I recieved it from newegg and cleaned my Gigabyte Rocket Pro of all the old thermal paste and attached it to the new processor. I'm also gonna add I put a very thin layer of the thermal paste. The heatsink is sitting on the board and processor very tightly and is on correctly and is running at roughly 4200RPMs. SO WHY AM I STILL GETTING THESE REDICULOUSLY HOT TEMPERATURES??

What I will add and what my thoughts to the what the problem could be is that I am using VANTEC THERMAL PASTE as it is the only paste I have in my home and there are no computer shops where I live. This VANTEC THERMAL PASTE I'm using is what was leftover from my aftermarket cooling kit I installed on my old ATi Radeon 9800Pro. I believe this Paste may be crap because my beliefs are that it is restricting flow of heat to the heatsink because when I put my hand on the heatsink while the pc is on and under full load (Running FEAR) at 70degrees Celcius, my hand doesnt get burnt and the heatsink does not feel hot at all. Now i know the heatsink is doing something because if it wasn't the computer would automatically shutoff after a few seconds of overheating of the CPU, but i believe this VANTEC THERMAL PASTE is not allowing enough heat to move to the heatsink like ARCTIC SILVER 5 could.

Any thoughts/suggestions would be great. Thanks!

Your on the right track because if the cpu is reporting those high temps but the hsf is not burning to the touch then something is not right. AS tends to take 3-4 days of always-on computer activity to set so that stuff you have may still be setting but it shouldnt be THAT hot. Have you taken the fan off of the HSF and cleaned it recently? My gf's AXP was having serious issues running at 75C and the HSF could have cooked meat. I unclipped the fan from her SLK-800 and there was a good 1cm think layer of dust and hair blocking 99% of the airflow. Anyway after cleaning this her temps dropped by 30C down to about 45 on load in a 30 C ambient temp apt.

janusx

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2006
Thanks for the reply K8man,

Yes i recently cleaned the Rocket 3D heatsink by taking an air compressor and blowing out all the dust and it has good airflow from the fan. I've also read in other places what you said about it taking 2-4 days for the thermal paste to settle and it was my fault to add i've been running this setup like this for 1 week now and I've had the same temperatures from day 1.

Thanks

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
Yep the problem lies in between the cpu and the heatsink fan. So it could be that the thermal paste you are using is expired or you don't have enought contact. Try removing at re-setting the heatsink fan again and monitor the temps just to make sure it sits flat on the heatsink fan. If it is so but the temps are the same then it is the thermalpaste.

He's right about the heatsink fan also, if the heatsink fan is not hot then it's not cooling to cpu for the heat is not transfered. So order some Artic Silver 5 and use it. You can even replace the thermal paste on your graphics card and chipset to get better cooling on them components as well.

janusx

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2006
I used roughly half of a grain of rice worth of Thermal paste ( VERY small amount as i've hard any more than that can actually be worse).

janusx

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2006
OK I would like to add that i just played San Andreas on this computer and the Temps when i minimized were 84C and mobo was 37C. THATS HOT, i stuck my hand in the case, and as I expected, the heatsink was a little hotter than before, but NOT 84C HOT!! Would getting the Arctic Silver paste from newegg really decrease my temps 30degreesC ??

K8MAN

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2005
I used roughly half of a grain of rice worth of Thermal paste ( VERY small amount as i've hard any more than that can actually be worse).

You didnt fill in the heatspreader's breathing hole did you? There is a little air hole on one of the corner's of the chip and I've heard that filling it in with a hardoning thermal paste can affect the temp of the chip. Someone who's actually owned a P4 might want to confirm this though.

K8MAN

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2005
OK I would like to add that i just played San Andreas on this computer and the Temps when i minimized were 84C and mobo was 37C. THATS HOT, i stuck my hand in the case, and as I expected, the heatsink was a little hotter than before, but NOT 84C HOT!! Would getting the Arctic Silver paste from newegg really decrease my temps 30degreesC ??

You ambient sounds like it is really high. I've run my compter within a 40C room and gotten mid 60's temps and that's a single core K8 so your room really makes the difference. Summer is the 1 time of year when it really sucks to be a prescott owner.

janusx

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2006

You ambient sounds like it is really high. I've run my compter within a 40C room and gotten mid 60's temps and that's a single core K8 so your room really makes the difference. Summer is the 1 time of year when it really sucks to be a prescott owner.

Yes i agree with u about the room temps but I'm in the mountains with cool air and its raining, i'd say my room is about 68Degrees Fahrenheit right now.

janusx

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2006
Now here is something that has thrown me into a loop. I just turned off this computer when it was saying the temperature of the CPU was 70C. Within 30 seconds i had the heatsink completly off of the motherboard (detached with my bare hands) and i even detached the chip from the motherboard. There was no heat coming from the chip whatsoever, it was NOT hot.

This leaves 2 possible explanations then,

1) Bad CPU Temperature sensor, or

2) The THIN layer of thermalpaste made it seem cool when it really was not when i touch the top of the chip a minute ago.

What do u guys think? Its gotta be one of those 2 things right considering the test i just made.

Nitro350Z

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2006
Well in theory, it cools down at the same rate it heats up, so after even a few seconds of inactivity it can be cool, its possible you are right, but maybe not

ms2005

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
Boot to BIOS when CPU is cold and go right to the health section and check out CPU temp. If not within a couple of degrees of system temp the sensor is bad. If it is low and then high on OS loading it is the thermal paste.

janusx

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2006
the temps are the same, I've already tried that. after a cold night on bootup and instanly checking bios temps its the same as "system idle", so that doesnt' fit either one of ur answers ms2005

killz86

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2005
my socket 478 Perscott 3ghz runs at 47C idle. and 60C at full load. and i have heard these 478 proscott's run very hot i have not had that problem yet :) and i hope i dont

spud

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001

You didnt fill in the heatspreader's breathing hole did you? There is a little air hole on one of the corner's of the chip and I've heard that filling it in with a hardoning thermal paste can affect the temp of the chip. Someone who's actually owned a P4 might want to confirm this though.

Gotta give you a big no on that one.

tahirali

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2006
I have 805D. My temps are on stock HSF

58-57C Idle (51C When i disable fan control from bios) CPU
66C Full Load
35C and 37C temp in zone1 and zone2.

Why dont you take off the aftermarket cooler and try the stock HSF to see if it helps. The stock HSF will have thermal paste applied to it.

tahirali

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2006
no my processor is not overclocked. I have a poor psu and a cheap mobo that will not let me overclock. I was thinking of downclocking the cpu but my mobo will not allow it.
my specs are.

Intel 805D @ 2.66Ghz
Intel 101GGC Mobo (ATI XPress 200 Chipset)
Kingston 512MB (400Mhz)
Seagate 80 HDD
Benq 1650 DVD-ReWriter