"AMD Chooses Saratoga Site For Microchip Plant"

9-inch

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2006
www.newsday.com

ALBANY, N.Y. -- Semiconductor maker Advanced Micro Devices Inc., lured by about $1 billion in state incentives, will build a multibillion dollar chip manufacturing plant in upstate New York and create 2,000 permanent jobs, state and company officials said Friday.

AMD, based in Sunnyvale, Calif., chose to locate the new plant on a 600-acre site in Malta, about 25 miles north of Albany, after considering bids from East Asia and Germany, state officials said.

"The Hudson Valley is going to be America's next Silicon Valley," Pataki said. "We're well on our way to achieving that, I'm extremely confident this is just the beginning."

Pataki said the state and company would invest $3.2 billion initially adding another $2 billion over the next few years. The deal comes after several years of Pataki efforts to entice a major chip manufacturer to come to New York.

They finally did it! :D
I hope this one to be 450mm

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
www.newsday.com

ALBANY, N.Y. -- Semiconductor maker Advanced Micro Devices Inc., lured by about $1 billion in state incentives, will build a multibillion dollar chip manufacturing plant in upstate New York and create 2,000 permanent jobs, state and company officials said Friday.

AMD, based in Sunnyvale, Calif., chose to locate the new plant on a 600-acre site in Malta, about 25 miles north of Albany, after considering bids from East Asia and Germany, state officials said.

"The Hudson Valley is going to be America's next Silicon Valley," Pataki said. "We're well on our way to achieving that, I'm extremely confident this is just the beginning."

Pataki said the state and company would invest $3.2 billion initially adding another $2 billion over the next few years. The deal comes after several years of Pataki efforts to entice a major chip manufacturer to come to New York.

So
they finally did it! :D

So I guess the rumors of AMDs demise were premature.

spud

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
www.newsday.com

So

Too bad that bill will be fronted by the American tax payers, but whatever right bad management in the past caused FAB's to close, and tax dollars help replace what was lost.

K8MAN

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2005
www.newsday.com

So

Too bad that bill will be fronted by the American tax payers, but whatever right bad management in the past caused FAB's to close, and tax dollars help replace what was lost.

The US Gvt has a money spending problem even when their economy is crashing around them. There's a reason our dollar's are nearly 1:1

ltcommander_data

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2004
Could you imagine if they managed to launch 450mm and 45nm at the same time in H2 08'.
Well, 9-inch's own article saids:

Construction on the 1.2 million square foot plant is slated to begin in July 2007 and be completed by July 2009. The plant will be fully operational sometime between January 2012 and January 2014.
So I can't imagine 450mm and 45nm in 2008. Makes you wonder what that plant will be producing though. By 2014, we may no longer be using silicon although given Intel's 2 year schedule they theoretically would reach 22nm by 2012 and given AMD is about a year behind they'd have 22nm in 2013 or the time frame of this plant. I wonder why their time frame is so wide though, 2012-2014.

spud

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
Could you imagine if they managed to launch 450mm and 45nm at the same time in H2 08'.

Construction on the 1.2 million square foot plant is slated to begin in July 2007 and be completed by July 2009. The plant will be fully operational sometime between January 2012 and January 2014.
So I can't imagine 450mm and 45nm in 2008. Makes you wonder what that plant will be producing though. By 2014, we may no longer be using silicon although given Intel's 2 year schedule they theoretically would reach 22nm by 2012 and given AMD is about a year behind they'd have 22nm in 2013 or the time frame of this plant. I wonder why their time frame is so wide though, 2012-2014.

There is about as much chance of 450 mm @ 45 nm as 9-inch has of winning a nobel prize :) ....

Word.

gOJDO

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2006

There is about as much chance of 450 mm @ 45 nm as 9-inch has of winning a nobel prize :) ....
jack, you have pwned your ass.
It will be fully functional between 2012 and 2014, so it is possible to be 450mm 45nm as 9nm said without reading the article. About 9nm and nobel prize, sounds cool.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
Could you imagine if they managed to launch 450mm and 45nm at the same time in H2 08'. 8)

It's actually possible. As quiet as it's kept Fab36 is doing 300mm 90 and 65. With Chartered helping, it will be easier to update Fab38 in a flip flop manner.

intelamduser

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2004
With the economy fixing to tank it will never happen.

AMD will be lucky to keep what they have, as well as Intel.

To many unsecured loans and way to many credit cards issued. Too many people have been borrowing from Peter to pay Paul.

Peter is going to want his money back pretty soon.

YO_KID37

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
How Do you Exactly analise the North American Market While Not even living in MainLand?? I'm in Toronto and i still don't have the right to analize BAY street(canada) or Wall Street(usa). I don't think that the economy will tank it might start paceing and stablilsing but in the way business runs now adays it'll never "tank" unless our Superintelligent friend to the south deside to start another war or get another abbration on their places of business from alien sourses on their home land ex.9/11 we're going to only go stable from here or get better. Becase the world making shytter items which only have a life of 2-3 months. "Product life decrease + the buying increases= Constant Product sales which in turn means more sales. Both American and Asian Companys now follow that equation Because my Playstation first edition lasted 7 years without problems and then i bought another small form PSone or PSX and it only lasted a good 5 months before going to the dump. My Pentium 2 @266 lasted from 1997-2004 and still runs now. But my friends pentium 4 @ 2.4Ghz lasted him 2 years and now the power supply died 2 times and the motherboard burned from voltage regualtor problems. And then the last one the Core burned in from overheating. He was running a stock Dell with a upgraded Heatsink compund.

Powerdog_69er

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2006
Once in awhile, I come into the CPU hardware forum here at Tom's Hardware.... to get a good laugh...it has never let me down!!!

"word"

LOL!!!!

You all sound so stupid....it is beyond the Sunday funnies...it really is!!!!

But please... really please...keep going....it is that funny!!!!!

"err, they already are..." ...LOL!!!!!
"There's no economical reason to go to 450mm wafers. " ...ROTFL!!!!!!!

YO_KID37

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
Once in awhile, I come into the CPU hardware forum here at Tom's Hardware.... to get a good laugh...it has never let me down!!!

"word"

LOL!!!!

You all sound so stupid....it is beyond the Sunday funnies...it really is!!!!

But please... really please...keep going....it is that funny!!!!!

"err, they already are..." ...LOL!!!!!
"There's no economical reason to go to 450mm wafers. " ...ROTFL!!!!!!!

We're Glad to Shiver ya Timbers. MAitey that's what the CPU fourm is for eh!! :idea:

gr8mikey

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2002
www.newsday.com

They finally did it! :D
I hope this one to be 450mm

I really hope AMD has a superior to intel architecture by the time this comes on line. Else, they may have to put a for sale sign on some of their older fabs. Just sounds to me that they are gonna have enough capacity for 50%+ marketshare when this thing ramps up. Only way that will fly is with an architecture that beats intel like the K8 did netburst. Unless they are reasonably sure that they are gonna be able to beat intel on price/performance this will likely just be a risky gamble that could keep AMD in the red for a long, long time. This is of course factoring out any major world economic problems in the given time frame which could drastically effect end demand.

YO_KID37

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
I'm Surprised That People Know even what a AMD is in the first place. I've never seen AMD advertise on tv Ever. So it's going to kind of hard taking that 80%~ lead away from Intel. Since Nobody knows about AMD and the 50% of that 80% are Darntooting, pellet shooting, rootingfluting Heehaw dumbass retards. From the great state of Who gives a shytt..they be shouting "prescott" r03DpkXX my world!!Pentium 4 is the Best thing ever :lol: :lol: :lol: lolls. It's not possible for AMD to get any market gain unless they start producing on quota and start showing ads to the Average dumb a$$ North american. Thats the only way to get AMDs sold
to the masses for the masses in the masses
Did i just coin that or was this quote said before?? And produce the cheapest, locked, faulty shytt for Dell and sell below Pentium 4(OMFG its so FAST) HT! prices

ethernalite

Distinguished
May 24, 2006
I'm Surprised That People Know even what a AMD is in the first place. I've never seen AMD advertise on tv Ever. So it's going to kind of hard taking that 80%~ lead away from Intel. Since Nobody knows about AMD and the 50% of that 80% are Darntooting, pellet shooting, rootingfluting Heehaw dumbass retards. From the great state of Who gives a shytt..they be shouting "prescott" r03DpkXX my world!!Pentium 4 is the Best thing ever :lol: :lol: :lol: lolls. It's not possible for AMD to get any market gain unless they start producing on quota and start showing ads to the Average dumb a$$ North american. Thats the only way to get AMDs sold to the masses for the masses in the masses
Did i just coin that or was this quote said before?? And produce the cheapest, locked, faulty shytt for Dell and sell below Pentium 4(OMFG its so FAST) HT! prices

First of all, AMD has had plenty of TV commercials.

Second, AMD owns something like 60-70% of the retail market. That means that a lot of the "darntooting, pellet shooting, rootingfluting Heehaw dumbass retards" are in fact buying AMD. After all, for the most part, I'd consider the people who walk into Best Buy to purchase a new PC to be the most ignorant when it comes to picking out the PC that is best for them. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that most of the people that order Dells are that well versed in computer lore either, but on a ranking, I'd put the retail sales at the bottom of the bin.

Third, it's awfully arrogant of you to call people who aren't well versed in computer lore "dumbass retards." I doubt you know the intricacies of precise engine performance relative to a single metric that is most often given (horsepower and/or torque), yet I doubt that would stop you from buying a car. And it doesn't mean that you're retarded.