IE 5.5 SP1 Hanging

G

Has anyone found a fix for IE 5.5 hanging? I've tried so many different things, I'm getting really frustrated. Here's my computer stats:

AMD TBird 800
Asus A7V 1004D BIOS
Asus V7700 GeForce2 GTS Deluxe
nVidia Det3 6.31 Drivers (and Asus 5.33a drivers; tried both)
IE 5.5 SP1 Installed
WinME 4.90.300
128MB RAM
SBLive!
30GB IBM Deskstar UDMA 100 on the 66 port
VIA 4 in 1 4.24a drivers installed

All the other bells and whistles, but those are the important ones...

WTF?!?! If someone has ANY insight, I would greatly appreciate it. I've seen links for Det3 6.47 drivers, but that only installed the 5.33a Asus drivers that I've already tried. Also, there were some files needed that weren't included with the 6.47 files, so I copied the 5.33a Asus drivers to the new folder with the Det3 6.47 drivers to fill in the gaps, and when it told asked me to overwrite I clicked NO to leave the newer files there. I figured there might be some files in it that were updated, so I effectively ended up with a hybrid, but the computer still installs and recognized the drivers as Asus 5.33a. I even installed the VIA AGP driver in Standard mode as recommended, and it hasn't fixed the issue. I STILL get hangs in both IE and Outlook Express. Any additional ideas would be great. This is starting to be maddening.

Cheers,

Pagiel242

G

Sorry I can't help with IE, but it's probably not graphics related if your computers fine the rest of the time.
I'd recommend installing the 6.31 drivers - get them from nvidia's site. You'll get better performance than 5.33a. I haven't tried 6.47, but 7.17 was slower and UT had some problems.

G

The Det3 6.31 drivers were what I started with. Both those AND the Asus 5.33a drivers suffer from this problem. The "hybrid" I mentioned in my last post does seem to be much more stable, but the problem still persists. It seems to really have a hard time on websites using Flash and even alot of animated GIFs. Bah!