Can i see my windows 7 password

Razer 3

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2009
i want to find out if i can see the password being used now. Not reset it ,not change it ,but only know it.

Solution
The whole concept of passwords is that they're secret. Windows itself doesn't actually store your password in plain text - it stores a numeric hash value that's calculated using a one-way mathematical algorithm. There's no way to get the original password back other than by doing a "dictionary attack" which involves feeding a zillion combinations into the hashing algorithm to see which one matches the value that Windows has stored.

LoneEagle

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2006
That weird? You don't know your password?

You can not change your password because you need to enter the current one (which you think you know it but want to see it).

Is it your machine? Are your trying to know a password which is not yours?

Sorry if I don't really understand you.

The whole concept of passwords is that they're secret. Windows itself doesn't actually store your password in plain text - it stores a numeric hash value that's calculated using a one-way mathematical algorithm. There's no way to get the original password back other than by doing a "dictionary attack" which involves feeding a zillion combinations into the hashing algorithm to see which one matches the value that Windows has stored.

Solution

Razer 3

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2009
heres the deal . my mom set a password and wont tell me.i want to know the current password cause i wont be able to use it when i want [i'm bit of a gaming freak, (dats why she locked it)]. ;)

LoneEagle

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2006

Bad bad boy! :) So you want to hack it! :pfff: As a father, I don't think I would like my girl or my son to do such a thing.

I understand you as I am myself a gamer (Battlefield 2142) and I understand there is a limit of time to play. You can easily get out of control and start living in this world.

So, I don't believe there is a way to reverse it. So you have to wait until you are 18, leave the house and then get your own computer! :lol:

Really? I wasn't aware of that. Looks like there is improvement in security in Windows eh? :lol: Anyways, what about OSX,etc?