Sign in with
Your question

To Conroe or not to Conroe, that is the question...

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
June 24, 2006 2:48:45 AM

My aged AMD FX57 platform is looking to be upgraded. Intel's Conroe seems to have a pretty good performance advantage. When is Conroe going to be available retail? Does AMD have anything in the AM2 line to compete? (if so, when)

My primary game/simulations are:

Microsoft's Flight Simulator 2004 (and soon FS X)
GT Legends
GTR2
Age of Empires III
Rise of Legends
Oblivian IV

I have two nVidia 7800GTX 512MB cards in SLI and would like to keep them if possible, will Conroe based platform support them? My screen resolution is 1920 x 1200 and FS 2004 is the only one from the above list that can bring my system to it's knees and it also happens to be my primary simulation/game that I enjoy the most.

Rob.

More about : conroe conroe question

a c 159 à CPUs
June 24, 2006 3:04:07 AM

I wish I had your setup. I'm glad you can afford to upgrade, but don't expect too much from conroe. In fact, if you can get one early, I would post it on ebay and make some money. All this hype about conroe should make for some high bidding. Am2 won't perform much better than your present system. Save your money.
June 24, 2006 3:11:08 AM

Save my money for what? What is in the line up that is worth waiting for?
Related resources
June 24, 2006 3:31:52 AM

Quote:
Save my money for what? What is in the line up that is worth waiting for?

I have been here a long time and I still don't know what hes talking about.
June 24, 2006 4:37:51 AM

Quote:

I have two nVidia 7800GTX 512MB cards in SLI and would like to keep them if possible, will Conroe based platform support them?

No, Intel chipset is supporting only crossfire. So far there is no nVidia chipset supporting conroe.
a c 159 à CPUs
June 24, 2006 4:43:24 AM

Am2 wouldn't give you enough performance increase for the money. The fx57 is a pretty fast cpu.
June 24, 2006 4:48:30 AM

Quote:

I have two nVidia 7800GTX 512MB cards in SLI and would like to keep them if possible, will Conroe based platform support them?

No, Intel chipset is supporting only crossfire. So far there is no nVidia chipset supporting conroe.

Actually you are wrong, there is a chipset, just no motherboards on the market yet. The Nforce 590 will fully support SLI. The problem is you probably won't see one of those motherboards on the market for a couple of months still. But the motherboard manufacturers did announce they were going to make them.
June 24, 2006 4:50:06 AM

Quote:

Actually you are wrong, there is a chipset, just no motherboards on the market yet. The Nforce 590 will fully support SLI. The problem is you probably won't see one of those motherboards on the market for a couple of months still. But the motherboard manufacturers did announce they were going to make them.

I think he meant no Intel made chipset.
June 24, 2006 12:59:42 PM

get 2 better video card.. Your CPU will be up to the task for a while yet. one 7900 is sometime better than 2 7800...

Conroe initial launch date is unclear. Conroe launch performance is yet unclear. Conroe motherboard with better than today feature are still to be announced. AM2 will only give you DDR2 now. AM2 SLI motherboard perform really good thou.. and has nice improved features. Don't really worth an upgrade thou. Maybe later, because I'm sure that AMD would not release anything faster than current 939 until really necessary.. they have sales to protect ... and they have the knowledge and technology to match or surpass conroe if they need to.. And don't worry, Intel have something better than conroe too..

If you want Conroe at one time, wait until everything is there before getting anything. There is no point to rush anything right now.

so.. just get better video card, hoping for a stable SLI for conroe or swith to AMD new offer if needed and when needed..
June 24, 2006 2:15:22 PM

Quote:
My aged AMD FX57 platform is looking to be upgraded. Intel's Conroe seems to have a pretty good performance advantage. When is Conroe going to be available retail? Does AMD have anything in the AM2 line to compete? (if so, when)

My primary game/simulations are:

Microsoft's Flight Simulator 2004 (and soon FS X)
GT Legends
GTR2
Age of Empires III
Rise of Legends
Oblivian IV

I have two nVidia 7800GTX 512MB cards in SLI and would like to keep them if possible, will Conroe based platform support them? My screen resolution is 1920 x 1200 and FS 2004 is the only one from the above list that can bring my system to it's knees and it also happens to be my primary simulation/game that I enjoy the most.

Rob.

Well from what I hear SLI is not supported on Core 2, url=http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=32523]only Crossfire.[/url]

But for right now Intel has the fastest clock for clock perf. FX60 would only be a small upgrade for you, but a 5000+ is neck and neck with the FX60 for a $200 less. Right now it's hard to give you an upgrade because there's no SLI on Core 2 YET.

And AM2 requires new RAM - very expensive RAM - to see it's full potential. That's my predicament. I have the system in my sig and it's not worth it to get rid of 4GB RAM and an SLI mobo and a 4400+.

I'd have to build a new PC to sell. Anyway good luck.
June 24, 2006 3:13:10 PM

Quote:
My aged AMD FX57 platform is looking to be upgraded.

Well, if you call your fx57 aged, then what should I call my xp2400+? Prehistoric? :lol: 
IMO, upgrading now will cost an arm and a leg (at least for ordinary humans like me) - mobo, cpu, ram, gfx cards, psu -, and yet still have just a minor increase in performance.
That system is plenty good. If I were you, I'd wait till the next generation gfx cards come out - said to be Q3. Conroe and compatible Radeon xpress 3200 and nForce590-based mobos should be available then, as well.
June 24, 2006 4:39:16 PM

If you're going to upgrade, upgrade your GFX.
June 24, 2006 8:26:20 PM

Sounds like most of you are saying wait because there isn't a significant performance benefit to upgrade right now.

Ok I'll wait, but what am I waiting for in either CPU camp? And how long? And what are the expected performance improvement numbers? My upgrade path is usually triggered when I can see a 25%+ performance gain over my current system. Will an FX64 and 7950GTX 1GB card get me there?

I know quad core is coming out this summer, but there still aren't any games that make good use of 2 CPUs, let alone 4 CPUs. Microsoft's FSX has not mentioned anything about true dedicated multi-CPU support so I'm not sure about jumping on that boat -- anyone have a list of games current and/or future that will actually make use of multiple CPUs (not just be "compatible with" but actual threaded code to do so).

BaronMatrix, I noticed you have 4GB of RAM but you list WinXP SP2 as your OS? The max memory address space for WinXP SP2 is 4GB, so I assume you turn OFF the OS page file? If so, have you noticed any performance benefit?

Thanks, Rob.
!