Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Am I wrong?

Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
September 14, 2005 1:27:14 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

Am I mistaken, but it seems that this NG has suddenly got more intolerant
and aggressive lately? I used to value it as the ONE NG where I could log on
and always get civilized good humour whether on or off topic.
Perhaps it's my age, and I am basking in a fantasy world of a past golden
age :-)

--
Cheers,

Quilly, in carpet slippers and smoking an old pipe by a crackling log fire,
glass of mature malt whisky in hand...



Sorry, but an individual reply goes into my spam filter



--
Cheers,

Quilly

Sorry, but an individual reply goes into my spam filter

More about : wrong

September 14, 2005 1:27:15 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

Simon wrote:
>
> People should accept that this is the Internet and that some posts
> will be misunderstood and a joke can/will flop.
> But because of that we also need to accept that jokes are just that,
> jokes, and remember that the intention was to make us smile and not
> to offend.


Agreed.. Let he who has not made a faux pas, cast the first verb!!
Sometimes the source of the irritation can be taken into account, if it's a
known commodity, and a handicap assigned.
I may be around a 9..... d:->))

Cheers'n Beers.. [__])
Don
Anonymous
September 14, 2005 4:01:27 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

Quilljar wrote:
> Am I mistaken, but it seems that this NG has suddenly got more
> intolerant and aggressive lately? I used to value it as the ONE NG
> where I could log on and always get civilized good humour whether on
> or off topic. Perhaps it's my age, and I am basking in a fantasy world of
> a past
> golden age :-)
>

I *hope* you are wrong!

This NG is the one place I urge people to visit after they had been flamed,
insulted, abused, patronized and/or ignored elsewhere.

I am always amazed to see the civil and helpful responses when the millionth
newbie asks how to save the default flight or where to start tweaking for
frame rates etc. and I'm equally amazed that the long-time posters strike
such a fine balance being mates/buddies but without turning the NG into
their private chat.

Big respect to you all ... long may it continue.

--
Ed.
Related resources
Anonymous
September 14, 2005 6:30:33 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

Dont be bloody stupid this place isnt ******* aggressive........

oops....

i dont think that indian guy helped......

--
From Overlag - Adam Webb


"Quilljar" <wykehill-flightsim@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
news:D g8qdi$bo0$1@nwrdmz03.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...
> Am I mistaken, but it seems that this NG has suddenly got more intolerant
> and aggressive lately? I used to value it as the ONE NG where I could log
> on
> and always get civilized good humour whether on or off topic.
> Perhaps it's my age, and I am basking in a fantasy world of a past golden
> age :-)
>
> --
> Cheers,
>
> Quilly, in carpet slippers and smoking an old pipe by a crackling log
> fire,
> glass of mature malt whisky in hand...
>
>
>
> Sorry, but an individual reply goes into my spam filter
>
>
>
> --
> Cheers,
>
> Quilly
>
> Sorry, but an individual reply goes into my spam filter
>
September 14, 2005 6:30:34 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

Probably to my detriment (consistent deterioration of my gray matter), I
have spent many years chatting on the net in chatrooms (when I was young and
foolish). I avoided newsgroups because I really didn't know what they were
all about.

Suddenly, out of the blue, I discovered this one because of a tip I received
from a friend who was sick and tired of hearing me bitch and whine about
problems I was encountering with FS9 and flying in general.

Since that time, I have been ever grateful to him, because on this group, I
have discovered some of the best personalities, intellects and humourists
one could ever want to know. Sure, we've had our outbursts, but being human
with human emotions, there's always a chance they will appear as in almost
every media. Trolls are just a diversion which most of us our quite capable
of handling in our inimitable ways.

My wish is this group and the persons contributing (as well as the lurkers),
will never disappear, because they have become a constant part of my day to
day life. If I had any advice at all for this group, it would be:

1. Count to 10 (if you can) before clicking the 'send' button'...
2. If you were really helped by a reply, it only takes a moment to say
'thanks' if you wish.
3. If you feel an OT topic would be of great interest to the group, give it
a try.
4. Control your sensitivities to religion, politics and personal interests
and/or causes.
5. Finally, the status of friend, be it online or off, is important. If
you feel you wish to impart a feeling due to some kind of crisis in your
life or even a blessing, an OT post regarding this would be fine. It has
been done in the past, and has worked out well.
6. Patience, Patience, Patience.

Arthur

We're here for a good time, not a long time.
( I didn't make that up) : )


>
>
> "Quilljar" <wykehill-flightsim@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> news:D g8qdi$bo0$1@nwrdmz03.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...
>> Am I mistaken, but it seems that this NG has suddenly got more
>> intolerant
>> and aggressive lately? I used to value it as the ONE NG where I could log
>> on
>> and always get civilized good humour whether on or off topic.
>> Perhaps it's my age, and I am basking in a fantasy world of a past golden
>> age :-)
>>
>> --
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Quilly, in carpet slippers and smoking an old pipe by a crackling log
>> fire,
>> glass of mature malt whisky in hand...
>>
>>
>>
>> Sorry, but an individual reply goes into my spam filter
>>
>>
>>
>> --
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Quilly
>>
>> Sorry, but an individual reply goes into my spam filter
>>
>
>
Anonymous
September 14, 2005 6:33:17 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

It's very civilized and very entertaining in here. Occasional flare ups,
but nothing compared to other groups.

Stephen


------------ And now a word from our sponsor ---------------------
For a secure high performance FTP using SSL/TLS encryption
upgrade to SurgeFTP
---- See http://netwinsite.com/sponsor/sponsor_surgeftp.htm ----
Anonymous
September 14, 2005 9:09:46 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

"Quilljar" <wykehill-flightsim@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
news:D g8qdi$bo0$1@nwrdmz03.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...
> Am I mistaken, but it seems that this NG has suddenly got more intolerant
> and aggressive lately? I used to value it as the ONE NG where I could log
> on
> and always get civilized good humour whether on or off topic.
> Perhaps it's my age, and I am basking in a fantasy world of a past golden
> age :-)
>
> --
> Cheers,
>
> Quilly, in carpet slippers and smoking an old pipe by a crackling log
> fire,
> glass of mature malt whisky in hand...
>
>
>
> Sorry, but an individual reply goes into my spam filter
>
>
>
> --
> Cheers,
>
> Quilly
>
> Sorry, but an individual reply goes into my spam filter

I read a few newsgroups and this is the nicest one that I go to. Just enough
flaming and OT posts to keep the group on the edge. Some of these newsgroups
keep hateful flames going for years. And even the flames that are posted
here are more funny than hurtful!

A great bunch of people here.
September 14, 2005 10:16:53 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

Marcel Kuijper wrote:
> Right now it feels like we have to tread on eggs,

Nah - it's just like you're driving through the same old neighborhood,
knowing there's a gang war going on a few blocks down, detour around it
until the gunfire subsides, then it's back to SOS............



> I don't drink the hard stuff....but I at least have a pair
> of slippers!
>


Geezzz - it's like Dean Martin used to say - "ain't it depressing to wake up
in the morning, knowing that's as good as you're going to feel the rest of
the day"........ d:->))
September 14, 2005 11:38:33 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

"Quilljar"
> Perhaps it's my age, and I am basking in a fantasy world of a past golden
> age :-)

Yeah... I'd say that's it.


:-P

Bassem of Wimshoes
Anonymous
September 15, 2005 1:41:20 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

After reading some of the remarks in this post, I wonder why I feel so good
again (all warm and fuzzy) about my favorite NG..... You are really a great
bunch of people.

"Quilljar" <wykehill-flightsim@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
news:D g8qdi$bo0$1@nwrdmz03.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...
> Am I mistaken, but it seems that this NG has suddenly got more intolerant
> and aggressive lately? I used to value it as the ONE NG where I could log
> on
> and always get civilized good humour whether on or off topic.
> Perhaps it's my age, and I am basking in a fantasy world of a past golden
> age :-)
>
> --
> Cheers,
>
> Quilly, in carpet slippers and smoking an old pipe by a crackling log
> fire,
> glass of mature malt whisky in hand...
>
>
>
> Sorry, but an individual reply goes into my spam filter
>
>
>
> --
> Cheers,
>
> Quilly
>
> Sorry, but an individual reply goes into my spam filter
>
Anonymous
September 15, 2005 3:13:11 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

It's always good to have a comedian on board. :) 

"Adam Webb" <adam@ajmysecondname.eclipse.co.uk> wrote in message
news:WfidnR48qqHcu7XenZ2dnUVZ8qOdnZ2d@eclipse.net.uk...
> Dont be bloody stupid this place isnt ******* aggressive........
>
> oops....
>
> i dont think that indian guy helped......
>
> --
> From Overlag - Adam Webb
>
>
> "Quilljar" <wykehill-flightsim@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> news:D g8qdi$bo0$1@nwrdmz03.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...
>> Am I mistaken, but it seems that this NG has suddenly got more
>> intolerant
>> and aggressive lately? I used to value it as the ONE NG where I could log
>> on
>> and always get civilized good humour whether on or off topic.
>> Perhaps it's my age, and I am basking in a fantasy world of a past golden
>> age :-)
>>
>> --
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Quilly, in carpet slippers and smoking an old pipe by a crackling log
>> fire,
>> glass of mature malt whisky in hand...
>>
>>
>>
>> Sorry, but an individual reply goes into my spam filter
>>
>>
>>
>> --
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Quilly
>>
>> Sorry, but an individual reply goes into my spam filter
>>
>
>
Anonymous
September 15, 2005 3:18:30 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

Oh, this NG has been great for me and it is the nature of interactions
sometimes to get a bit out of control at times.

No NG is immune to it. You would be surprised to see what a few telescope
makers can throw at each other on occasion in that newsgroup! It all works
out, however because the NG's purpose is to share the knowledge.
Cheers!
Mike
"Arthur" <simmeronlo@rogers.com> wrote in message
news:Epadneyej75EorXeRVn-oQ@rogers.com...
> Probably to my detriment (consistent deterioration of my gray matter), I
> have spent many years chatting on the net in chatrooms (when I was young
> and foolish). I avoided newsgroups because I really didn't know what they
> were all about.
>
> Suddenly, out of the blue, I discovered this one because of a tip I
> received from a friend who was sick and tired of hearing me bitch and
> whine about problems I was encountering with FS9 and flying in general.
>
> Since that time, I have been ever grateful to him, because on this group,
> I have discovered some of the best personalities, intellects and
> humourists one could ever want to know. Sure, we've had our outbursts,
> but being human with human emotions, there's always a chance they will
> appear as in almost every media. Trolls are just a diversion which most
> of us our quite capable of handling in our inimitable ways.
>
> My wish is this group and the persons contributing (as well as the
> lurkers), will never disappear, because they have become a constant part
> of my day to day life. If I had any advice at all for this group, it
> would be:
>
> 1. Count to 10 (if you can) before clicking the 'send' button'...
> 2. If you were really helped by a reply, it only takes a moment to say
> 'thanks' if you wish.
> 3. If you feel an OT topic would be of great interest to the group, give
> it a try.
> 4. Control your sensitivities to religion, politics and personal
> interests and/or causes.
> 5. Finally, the status of friend, be it online or off, is important. If
> you feel you wish to impart a feeling due to some kind of crisis in your
> life or even a blessing, an OT post regarding this would be fine. It has
> been done in the past, and has worked out well.
> 6. Patience, Patience, Patience.
>
> Arthur
>
> We're here for a good time, not a long time.
> ( I didn't make that up) : )
>
>
>>
>>
>> "Quilljar" <wykehill-flightsim@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
>> news:D g8qdi$bo0$1@nwrdmz03.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...
>>> Am I mistaken, but it seems that this NG has suddenly got more
>>> intolerant
>>> and aggressive lately? I used to value it as the ONE NG where I could
>>> log on
>>> and always get civilized good humour whether on or off topic.
>>> Perhaps it's my age, and I am basking in a fantasy world of a past
>>> golden
>>> age :-)
>>>
>>> --
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> Quilly, in carpet slippers and smoking an old pipe by a crackling log
>>> fire,
>>> glass of mature malt whisky in hand...
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> Sorry, but an individual reply goes into my spam filter
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> --
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> Quilly
>>>
>>> Sorry, but an individual reply goes into my spam filter
>>>
>>
>>
>
>
Anonymous
September 15, 2005 3:20:29 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

Yup. it isa one of the best I have been in. keep it up!
Mike

"k12bubba" <jeromek@charter.net> wrote in message
news:1c1We.39525$1g2.29421@fe05.lga...
>
> "Quilljar" <wykehill-flightsim@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> news:D g8qdi$bo0$1@nwrdmz03.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...
>> Am I mistaken, but it seems that this NG has suddenly got more
>> intolerant
>> and aggressive lately? I used to value it as the ONE NG where I could log
>> on
>> and always get civilized good humour whether on or off topic.
>> Perhaps it's my age, and I am basking in a fantasy world of a past golden
>> age :-)
>>
>> --
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Quilly, in carpet slippers and smoking an old pipe by a crackling log
>> fire,
>> glass of mature malt whisky in hand...
>>
>>
>>
>> Sorry, but an individual reply goes into my spam filter
>>
>>
>>
>> --
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Quilly
>>
>> Sorry, but an individual reply goes into my spam filter
>
> I read a few newsgroups and this is the nicest one that I go to. Just
> enough flaming and OT posts to keep the group on the edge. Some of these
> newsgroups keep hateful flames going for years. And even the flames that
> are posted here are more funny than hurtful!
>
> A great bunch of people here.
>
Anonymous
September 15, 2005 3:00:33 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 09:27:14 +0000 (UTC), "Quilljar"
<wykehill-flightsim@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> Am I mistaken, but it seems that this NG has suddenly got more intolerant
>and aggressive lately? I used to value it as the ONE NG where I could log on
>and always get civilized good humour whether on or off topic.
>Perhaps it's my age, and I am basking in a fantasy world of a past golden
>age :-)
>
>--
>Cheers,
>
>Quilly, in carpet slippers and smoking an old pipe by a crackling log fire,
>glass of mature malt whisky in hand...

As a regular lurker but infrequent poster, I think that this group
does well to maintain good communication. The occasional flare-up does
grate a bit, but I suspect that even if we were in the same room and
talking face to face, there would still be an occasional
misunderstanding.

Someone else suggested that the inadequacy of usenet to indicate irony
causes friction, and I agree with that.

This newsgroup remains one of the more pleasant parts of my day.
Anonymous
September 16, 2005 2:40:39 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 18:16:53 -0500, CRaSH wrote:

> Geezzz - it's like Dean Martin used to say - "ain't it depressing to wake up
> in the morning, knowing that's as good as you're going to feel the rest of
> the day"........ d:->))

He probably said that with a bottle of 12 year old Scotch in his hand. :-)

--

Marcel (SAG-21)
"Jamie want big boom!" - Jamie Hyneman
Anonymous
September 20, 2005 12:12:46 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.microsoft.flight-sim (More info?)

On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 18:21:37 GMT, Dallas wrote:

> I recommend that both of you put your egos in check and let this die, there
> is no way perusing this will have a good outcome for anyone.

Listen to Dallas!

I planned to keep out of this little war completely, but it's gone on too
long. You're both starting to sound like children and we all know that
neither of you are.

How it started and who started it doesn't even matter.
What matters is that it's gotta stop! For the sake of this entire group!

So please end it.....

No one has to leave, no one has to apologize (apologies are optional
however <hint hint>), no one wins, no one loses....

So we'll do a 1..2..3..BREAK!, John heads to one corner, Dudley to the
other, CRaSH get's ya both a drink and we'll call it a tie.

Deal?

--

Marcel (SAG-21)
(If you've gotta be part of a group, be part of a group of simmers!)
!