Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Intel pentium 9xx question

Last response: in Systems
Share
June 24, 2006 9:07:20 AM

does the 930 or 940 offer EIST and C1 stepping?

question is that i would like to buy one and overclock it to like over 4ghz with thermaltake bigwater 745 water cooling.
how high an overclock can i achive with the 745?

however if i bought a asus cpu lock free board i can lower the multiplier but the cpu needs EIST(so i have better bandwidth due to pentiums being bandwidth starved).

so if it only offers B1 stepping ill just have to make do with it.
thanks :) 
June 24, 2006 9:39:42 AM

Quote:
does the 930 or 940 offer EIST and C1 stepping?

question is that i would like to buy one and overclock it to like over 4ghz with thermaltake bigwater 745 water cooling.
how high an overclock can i achive with the 745?

however if i bought a asus cpu lock free board i can lower the multiplier but the cpu needs EIST(so i have better bandwidth due to pentiums being bandwidth starved).

so if it only offers B1 stepping ill just have to make do with it.
thanks :) 
Here's the Intel sSPEC chart. According to it , all the 9xx are B1 Stepping, but only the 8xx has EIST. :?

http://processorfinder.intel.com/List.aspx?ProcFam=2112

I would think that a 930 using the 745 Bigwater and a good mobo, and decent RAM, should hit 4.25-4.35 GHz...Maybe 4.4. By all accounts, the 930 is an overclocking beast. GL :D 
June 24, 2006 9:57:35 AM

Why not get the 950 and oc it to 4.2Ghz on water cooling.
Related resources
June 24, 2006 10:06:00 AM

Quote:
Why not get the 950 and oc it to 4.2Ghz on water cooling.
The 920 and 930 will do the same for less money, and run a faster FSB(better performance) to boot.
June 24, 2006 10:37:51 AM

okies! thankyou very much! :D  problem is now i gotta find a mobo that is good for overclocking for around £60-80 from either
http://www.techfever.co.uk/main.asp
or
http://www.scan.co.uk/
i would have ideally liked to buy a motherboard that supports conroe 65nm cpus dual core and is good for overclocking in the same price range (so i dont have to upgrade to board ifg i do actully get core 2 duo) but this is very unlikely that i will find one can anyone help? thanks
June 24, 2006 10:41:46 AM

Quote:
okies! thankyou very much! :D  problem is now i gotta find a mobo that is good for overclocking for around £60-80 from either
http://www.techfever.co.uk/main.asp
or
http://www.scan.co.uk/
i would have ideally liked to buy a motherboard that supports conroe 65nm cpus dual core and is good for overclocking in the same price range (so i dont have to upgrade to board ifg i do actully get core 2 duo) but this is very unlikely that i will find one can anyone help? thanks
Not in that price range.
June 24, 2006 10:51:01 AM

Quote:
okies! thankyou very much! :D  problem is now i gotta find a mobo that is good for overclocking for around £60-80 from either
http://www.techfever.co.uk/main.asp
or
http://www.scan.co.uk/
i would have ideally liked to buy a motherboard that supports conroe 65nm cpus dual core and is good for overclocking in the same price range (so i dont have to upgrade to board ifg i do actully get core 2 duo) but this is very unlikely that i will find one can anyone help? thanks
For the price, this is probably your best bet.

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProdu...

You won't be able to upgrade to Core2Duo later on, if you want though.
June 24, 2006 2:29:14 PM

thanks i think im actully -ive changed my mind again- i wont buy the pentium d 9xx and mobo but illl upgrade a few things on my current computer like the grahics card and ram that will work with conroe if i upgrade rather than buy a motherboard and cpu and complete ssytem. one more question are the price cuts for these 'old' processors going to be long term or onlky for a while?

Thanks :D 
June 24, 2006 10:59:29 PM

Quote:
thanks i think im actully -ive changed my mind again- i wont buy the pentium d 9xx and mobo but illl upgrade a few things on my current computer like the grahics card and ram that will work with conroe if i upgrade rather than buy a motherboard and cpu and complete ssytem. one more question are the price cuts for these 'old' processors going to be long term or onlky for a while?

Thanks :D 
To be honest, i'm not sure how long these bargain prices will remain. Intel is still going to be producing a few Pentium D's,
so it's not like they're just trying to sell off their remaining stock. I think the low prices should last until the new year anyway. As far as RAM, try and get some PC6400 with 4-4-4-12 timings,
if you can afford it..as that is going to be the standard very soon for Conroe and sAM2. GL :) 
!