Opteron motherboard compatibility question

Tetras

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2006
Hi

I know its a *groan* question but I have looked everywhere for a FAQ on using Opterons with 939 motherboards, and I have only been able to conclude that providing a motherboard supports Venice and San Diego processors it will boot with a single core Opteron, but may require a bios update to properly identify the name and appropriate core voltage?

It is important for me to have a good idea because I won't have an Athlon 64 to flash the BIOS with if it won't boot. The only boards I've been able to find out about are DFIs but other manufacturers I've tried seem vague or just link me to the CPU support page which doesn't answer what I want to know (i.e. if it would still manage to boot on an old bios).

If anyone can answer this for sure or tell me their experience would be greatly appreciated :D

P.S. I am thinking of using an Opteron 148 and Asus A8V-E SE (which as far as I know still ships with BIOS version 1007 but 1010 is the one that lists Opteron compatibility).

ZOldDude

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006
Hi

I know its a *groan* question but I have looked everywhere for a FAQ on using Opterons with 939 motherboards, and I have only been able to conclude that providing a motherboard supports Venice and San Diego processors it will boot with a single core Opteron, but may require a bios update to properly identify the name and appropriate core voltage?

It is important for me to have a good idea because I won't have an Athlon 64 to flash the BIOS with if it won't boot. The only boards I've been able to find out about are DFIs but other manufacturers I've tried seem vague or just link me to the CPU support page which doesn't answer what I want to know (i.e. if it would still manage to boot on an old bios).

If anyone can answer this for sure or tell me their experience would be greatly appreciated :D

P.S. I am thinking of using an Opteron 148 and Asus A8V-E SE (which as far as I know still ships with BIOS version 1007 but 1010 is the one that lists Opteron compatibility).

AMD has all MB companys agree to NOT state they work with Optrons unless they are server or workstation boards.

As we all know Optrons work just fine on all AMD 940/939 boards.

No you do not need a new bios aside from one that supports dual core if that the road you wish to travel.

Z

SciPunk

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
Odly enough, many of the 939 boards will state that they support a Semperon processor, but the mythical 939 processor remains elusive (except in Russia I think). Yet they don't mention the Opteron.

But yeah, the that board should work well with an that Opteron.

Tetras

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2006
For anyone interested I was sent a reply by Asus and it told me that the board would still boot with an Opteron (with an older pre-Opteron BIOS), so you can flash it no problem without requiring an Athlon 64 as back-up!

m25

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
Hi

For what I know, all the 939 motherboards support opetrons even if old bios may not recognize it.