How to find out what driver you need for webcam

sapphirebabe

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2011
Please help. After the latest windows installation updates my webcam refuses to work. I cannot find a driver for it because I cannot find the name of the webcam. When I look on the MSI website it gives no name for the driver says it was bundled with the OS. Here is my laptop.

MSI GT680R-008US Notebook Intel Core i7 2630QM(2.00GHz) 15.6" 8GB Memory 1TB HDD 7200rpm DVD Super Multi NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460M
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

Thank you for any help you can give me!!

Solution
I assure you it's there. All the drivers you need should be on the system restore disk that came with the laptop.

You want to install all the drivers, but most of the utilities are probably junk.

sapphirebabe

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2011
I tried the drivers and utilities CD that was bundled with the laptop. I didn't know what to install because I have no idea what the driver i called. So I just tried to install what was there, but it messed other stuff up. I had to do a system restore. It made my screen resolution totally wrong and crashed while installing something else. :( I'm not very good at these kinds of things....

sapphirebabe

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2011
I also tried a system restore to an earlier point, before the windows updates, but it was not successful. I ran a file scan after and it said it fixed some errors. Other than that, I'm totally stumped.

sapphirebabe

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2011
Ok. Well I'm trying to install all of the drivers listed. I did not recieve a system restore disk with the laptop. Just the drivers and utilities setup disk. I had to create a recovery disk myself. So here are a list of the drivers I attempted to install.

Intel Chipset Driver
Nvidia VGA Driver (this is the one that messed up my screen resolution)
Realtek Audio Driver
Realtek Lan Driver
Realtek Card Reader Driver
Intel WLAN Driver
Intel ME Driver (says my computer contains the newer version)
NEC USB3.0 Driver
Sentelic Touchpad Driver
Sentelic Touchpad Application
Intel IRST Driver

So, do I revert back to the older versions then?

sapphirebabe

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2011
Well this is embarrassing. After all that I finally found a solution. fn-f6 turns the bloody thing on or off. Strange, I never turned it off to begin with and it worked perfectly before then. Ah well. Thanks for the advice!!