pentium M is slow :

pengwin

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
hey i have a Dell 9300 and when i use frontpage or Ulead it lags. this doesnt happen on my older pentium 4 socket 478 w/ 400mhz FSB. so any suggestions?

K8MAN

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2005
hey i have a Dell 9300 and when i use frontpage or Ulead it lags. this doesnt happen on my older pentium 4 socket 478 w/ 400mhz FSB. so any suggestions?

Well the 9300 only came with 256MB of DDR2 400 standard so what did your paticular machine come with?

pengwin

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
oh hehe.

sorry

Pentium M 725 Dolthan 1.6 Ghz
Mobility radeom X300
1 GB of RAM, i think its PC4300 (DDR2)

i even throttle the laptop manually to 1.6 Ghz and i get no difference. its still slow at work. it runs BF2 fine. its really pissing me off

also @ jesse.,...i know the answer?

i know a posted this thread some time ago but i didnt see any helpful replies ..hmm

thanks again anyways.

amdiesen

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
Could it be heat related?

Observing the full load operation of a 1.5mhz Pentium M laptop shows noticeable drops in performance @~27c (80f)* up to non-scientific observations of a ~50% drop in full load benchmarked performance @~32c (90f).

The 1.8mhz Northwood Desktop in the same environment remains reasonably stable in its full load performance up to ~32c with non-scientific observations of ~0-15% drops in performance toward the higher end of the temperature range.

The laptop in this environment has been placed on a metal wire shelf to allow better airflow to the bottom of the machine. The Northwood has minor modifications to allow better airflow. The machine has a stock aluminum heat sink cowled to a case exhaust fan.

*Tested based on ambient room temperature.

mpjesse

Splendid
also @ jesse.,...i know the answer?

i know a posted this thread some time ago but i didnt see any helpful replies ..hmm

if you do not know the answer to your own question, then in my humble opinion, you should not be dishing out advice to anyone.

azncoduyen

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
What is your definition of slow? Slow as in it doesnt load or what?

And beside, maybe you have a slow processor and a slow graphic card. Or perhaps you have conflicting software that makes your computer slow. The more software you install on your sys and if it runs without you knowing... you r computer is bound to be slow :wink: