Need some quick help, almost done building

MarkZX6R

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
I hit a bump in the road. I loaded XP on and everything and then I installed some programs from the Asus disc that came with my motherboard.

Now, I go to put a CD into either one of my optical drives (one DVDRW that I haven't even gotten to read a thing, and the CDROM that was working fine) and it won't read a CD in either drive. In fact, when I put a CD in it seems to almost lock up my computer until I take it out. What could be the problem?

I'm running:
Intel 805 D
Asus P5ND2
WD 160GB SATA
1GB pQI Turbo
eVGA 7600GT

I assume all the wires are fastened securely.

Did you goto windows and do an update ?

Open up the device manager and see what needs to have updates.

Perhaps you forgot to install a driver or two off the cd ?

It's gotta be something simple If the opsys was completely installed and it boots.

MarkZX6R

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
Well I mean I went in there and it says that for both of the optical drives that all of the current drivers and everything are up to date. Plus, considering the fact that I can't even run anything off CDROM I really don't know what to do.

I tried updating the firmware on the DVDRW and that didn't do anything at all. As a matter of fact I left a disc in there and it just started to randomly search for Autoplay for about 5 minutes but it wasn't doing anything so I cancelled the operation.

It seriously starts reading it and makes the "whirring" sound andn then just stops after 5-10 seconds. The DVDRW drive hasn't even done that much though, so I have no idea. All of the lights turn on and the disc drive opens up it just doesn't read anything. Could something on the mobo be disconnected slightly or something?

MarkZX6R

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
Well i tried doing a system restore to before I had actually used the cdrom drive to install some software that came with the MOBO and what do you know, the CD drive works once again, so apparently something on this disc messed it up. I'm going to install only what I need off it and see if I can keep this running so I can install my other things and then take it from there.