FreeFlow Bermuda scenery now available

Last response: in Video Games
September 14, 2005 4:10:11 PM

This one's for you, Dallas: http://fs-freeflow.com

September 14, 2005 4:41:16 PM

David Wilson-Okamura wrote:
> This one's for you, Dallas: http://fs-freeflow.com

Did Dalliance do something wrong and this is rettribution?? I've been
waiting for Bermuda with bait breath, but after downloading it (twice),
winzip keeps saying it's not a valid archive, and winrar reports a
incomplete archive. Hmmm, I'll wait a few days and try again..

The default Bermuda may as well have been left out all together - it's
HORRIBLE!!

Cheers'n Beers.. [_])
Don
Anonymous
September 14, 2005 8:36:03 PM

___| reply |__________________________________________________________
Did Dalliance do something wrong and this is rettribution?

September 14, 2005 10:03:51 PM

I've been using a Bermuda download from Avsim or Flightsim. Pretty accurate
from what see. Just not as artistic as the freeflow pictures I guess.

Bermuda is Bermuda no matter how anybody does it. Still the best place on
earth...................................

Mark G
Not4wood

"CRaSH" <sorry@aint-here.spam.com> wrote in message
> David Wilson-Okamura wrote:
>> This one's for you, Dallas: http://fs-freeflow.com
>>

> Did Dalliance do something wrong and this is rettribution?? I've been
> waiting for Bermuda with bait breath, but after downloading it (twice),
> winzip keeps saying it's not a valid archive, and winrar reports a
> incomplete archive. Hmmm, I'll wait a few days and try again..
>
> The default Bermuda may as well have been left out all together - it's
> HORRIBLE!!
>
> Cheers'n Beers.. [_])
> Don

September 14, 2005 10:31:31 PM

On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 12:41:16 -0500, "CRaSH" <sorry@aint-here.spam.com>
brought the following to our attention:

>David Wilson-Okamura wrote:
>> This one's for you, Dallas: http://fs-freeflow.com
>>

>Did Dalliance do something wrong and this is rettribution?? I've been
>waiting for Bermuda with bait breath, but after downloading it (twice),
>winzip keeps saying it's not a valid archive, and winrar reports a
>incomplete archive. Hmmm, I'll wait a few days and try again..
>
>The default Bermuda may as well have been left out all together - it's
>HORRIBLE!!
>
>Cheers'n Beers.. [_])
> Don

Got it.. anyone know what FS8 BGLs to (re)move to make way?
Also must instal FF Florida shores and fly within that region!! AND
structure it folder-wise for QC (quick change)!! :-)

-Gregory
Anonymous
September 14, 2005 11:05:52 PM

CRaSH wrote:
,
> winzip keeps saying it's not a valid archive, and winrar reports a
> incomplete archive. Hmmm, I'll wait a few days and try again..

Downloads okay for me. Total size on disk (Win XP's file properties) is
20,611,072 bytes

David
September 14, 2005 11:05:53 PM

David Morgan wrote:

> Downloads okay for me. Total size on disk (Win XP's file properties)
> is 20,611,072 bytes

3rd time was the charm - went to Avsim and it downloaded ok. Twice direct
from FF didn't work for ?? reason.
Very cool stuff! Love the garbage barge in Hamilton that has sea gulls
flocking over it..
Anonymous
September 15, 2005 2:29:59 AM

As of today there is a new Free Flow scenery available for Bermuda. From
the pics it looks very good. My wife and I have spent some time on the
Islands and the photos I've seen capture the flavor of what Bermuda feels
like.

Has anybody been using any of the Free Flow Sceneries? Are there any
problems or quirks??

I'm interested in these sceneries and would like to know if there are any
problems before hand.

Thanks in Advance.
Mark G
Not4wood

"David Wilson-Okamura" <David Wilson-Okamura@forums.simradar.com> wrote in
message news:1126733740.31510@forums.simradar.com...

> ___| reply |__________________________________________________________
> Did Dalliance do something wrong and this is rettribution?

September 15, 2005 2:30:00 AM

Not4wood wrote:

> I'm interested in these sceneries and would like to know if there are
> any problems before hand.

Hi Mark,
I just got it a few hours ago, and you'll love it! It takes a couple of
extra add on files for trees and AI boats (which are great!) that probably
took more time to read and figure out than the Free Flow install - which was
relatively painless (after I got a clean download :) ... My wife and I were
there in the 80's and loved it, so were profondly disappointed with M/S's
miserable rendition of islands. I think I even located where the world's
smallest draw bridge is - only a few feet across to let sail boat masts pass
under the road!!
September 15, 2005 9:26:31 AM

"David Wilson-Okamura"
> Dallas was named only for his devotion to FREEflow Florida.

And my love of Island flying.. :-)

Thanks I'll check it out. Now, when is he going to do the Bahamas? That
place is a FS disaster.

Dallas
September 15, 2005 9:32:41 AM

"Not4wood"
> I'm interested in these sceneries and would like to know if there are any
> problems before hand.

The only hitch I've encountered is with the AI ship traffic. Flying over
Florida I could not get the ground textures to redraw, they stayed blurry.
An hour later I discovered that if an AI ship was in the view it would
somehow take all the processing away from the scenery draw.

Remove the AI ships and the problem went away.

Dallas
Anonymous
September 15, 2005 12:50:46 PM

"Beech45Whiskey" <pjricc@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Dallas <Cybnorm@spam_me_not.Hotmail.Com> wrote:
>
>> And my love of Island flying.. :-)
>
> The downside of Bermuda is that it is so far from anywhere and so small an
> island, about five minutes of flying around is all one needs to explore
> it.
>
> You are right. Freeflow needs to tackle the Bahamas next. Now that
> would
> be some island flying.

Until he posted that comment about the Bahamas, I was reading "Bermuda", but
thinking that the scenery *was* for the Bahamas! :-) I agree that Bahamian
scenery would be nice.

I've never visited Bermuda in the sim, I'll have to go check it out before
trying the FreeFlow scenery so as to appreciate it more.
September 15, 2005 2:07:15 PM

On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 05:32:41 GMT, "Dallas"
<Cybnorm@spam_me_not.Hotmail.Com> brought the following to our
attention:

>"Not4wood"
>> I'm interested in these sceneries and would like to know if there are any
>> problems before hand.
>
>The only hitch I've encountered is with the AI ship traffic. Flying over
>Florida I could not get the ground textures to redraw, they stayed blurry.
>An hour later I discovered that if an AI ship was in the view it would
>somehow take all the processing away from the scenery draw.
>
>Remove the AI ships and the problem went away.
>
>Dallas

any screen caps?

-G
September 15, 2005 2:07:21 PM

On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 08:27:25 -0400, Beech45Whiskey <pjricc@gmail.com>
brought the following to our attention:

>Dallas <Cybnorm@spam_me_not.Hotmail.Com> wrote:
>
>> And my love of Island flying.. :-)
>
>The downside of Bermuda is that it is so far from anywhere and so small an
>island, about five minutes of flying around is all one needs to explore it.
>
>You are right. Freeflow needs to tackle the Bahamas next. Now that would
>be some island flying.

See if Scott can be convinced to do the Chesapeake Bay region
extending south from FFNE. Ideally extending down to Florida.
California coast would also be good!!

-Gregory
September 15, 2005 2:46:21 PM

On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 10:15:44 -0400, Beech45Whiskey <pjricc@gmail.com>
brought the following to our attention:

>Gregory <flightsim.maps@bkwds.comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> See if Scott can be convinced to do the Chesapeake Bay region
>> extending south from FFNE. Ideally extending down to Florida.
>> California coast would also be good!!
>
>LOL! See if Scott can be convinced to start where FFNE left off, all the
>way down the coast, across the border/coast to California, up the coast to
>Washington, then back over to the Great Lakes. And, while he is at it,
>fill in all of the area within those borders. ;-)

no really.. had that conversation with Scott.. about extending south
from Atlantic City to cover the Chesapeake. Not so optimistic about
California. May have to find some `shore components' to add in.

>Seriously now, as the author of "NY Lakes and Rivers" coastline and lakes
>enhancement, I personally know how time consuming it is to tackle a project
>that large. By the time he finished, MS would be on Flight Simulator 2010
>and the scenery wouldn't be compatible with the current version.

please provide a link to NYLR, would like to check it out. Can take
off from Wilkes Barre crossing Binghamton turning 300 crossing the
lakes.. then head out over Lake Erie and land at Cleveland. That's a
good short jetliner flight. :)

what's a good ALT to fly over the Lake and River details?

-Gregory
September 15, 2005 3:25:34 PM

On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 11:11:05 -0400, Beech45Whiskey <pjricc@gmail.com>
brought the following to our attention:

>Gregory <flightsim.maps@bkwds.comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> please provide a link to NYLR, would like to check it out. Can take
>> off from Wilkes Barre crossing Binghamton turning 300 crossing the
>> lakes.. then head out over Lake Erie and land at Cleveland. That's a
>> good short jetliner flight. :)
>
>http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID=fs2004scen&D...
>
>This is the latest version from last January. My incentive to tackle this
>project was the extremely poor job MS (really Jeppesen's data) did in
>recreating the Finger Lakes of NY. I also wanted a more realistic
>representation of the Adirondack lakes and more of the islands of the 1000
>Island region. Thus the project was born. It looks really good with
>FSGenesis' 38-m terrain mesh.

will have to find the 1000 Island area.. where about?? here's the
flight in case y'all want to go ahead with it. 320 statute miles `as
the crow flies' from W.B. to CLE, corresponding further over NY state.

http://home.comcast.net/~flightsim/NYLR.gif

>Now, at the time I was working with Scott G. to ensure his scenery didn't
>overlap mine and visa-versa, but that was back in January. Since then, I
>fell away from scenery design due to time constraints, whereas he continued
>in full force. It is possible that he included NY state in his FFNE
>project. If so, you would need to make the two compatible so that they
>both do not display their lakes at the same time, or disable one to see the
>other.

now you have be wanting to dig into the BGLs and find their
boundaries. here's the area covered by FFNE (since it's already
on the web server)..

http://home.comcast.net/~flightsim/FFNE-LWM-07a.gif

and these are the FS8 files to `pull'.. (also on web server)

http://home.comcast.net/~flightsim/STL532200-STL532204-...

-Gregory

>FYI, I had a registered version of the Slartibartfast tool used to create
>the scenery, so the Adirondacks region, with its hundred of lakes, looks
>pretty impressive. For those authors with a freeware version of Slarti,
>areas with a dense number of lakes came out looking pretty poor, since
>freeware Slarti purposely limited the number of points (shore resolution)
>per grid.
>

>> what's a good ALT to fly over the Lake and River details?
>
>Both low and high look pretty good, IMO. The biggest improvement this
>add-on scenery provides is that all lakes now "fit" into the accurate
>terrain mesh, whereas the default lakes were set too far east and north of
>their true locations. This resulted in many incorrect and unnatural steep
>cliffs throughout the scenery.
Anonymous
September 15, 2005 3:44:07 PM

Now that Ultimate Terrain has given us accurate coastlines for all of
North America, I think it makes sense for the FreeFlow team to
concentrate on other places. Bermuda was a good (and manageable)
choice. The Philippines would be another, as would Scandinavia.

September 15, 2005 4:09:35 PM

David Wilson-Okamura wrote:
> Now that Ultimate Terrain has given us accurate coastlines for all of
> North America, I think it makes sense for the FreeFlow team to
> concentrate on other places.

FRENCH POLYNESIA
September 15, 2005 5:10:59 PM

On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 12:51:42 -0400, Beech45Whiskey <pjricc@gmail.com>
brought the following to our attention:

>David Wilson-Okamura <David Wilson-Okamura@forums.simradar.com> wrote:
>
>> Now that Ultimate Terrain has given us accurate coastlines for all of
>> North America, I think it makes sense for the FreeFlow team to
>> concentrate on other places.
>
>I disagree. Since FF is free, there still is probably a large market for
>FF North America.

you mean FF Chesapeake :)  FFNA would be a LOT of work.
Scott is an academic type, maybe that explains it.

All I'm looking for are some shore and stream BGLs for FS8 even if
boundaries or regions are dissimilar.

-G
September 15, 2005 9:00:48 PM

Beech45Whiskey wrote:

> Seriously now, as the author of "NY Lakes and Rivers" coastline and
> lakes enhancement,

Peter -
I thought I'd give NY Lakes a looksee, but when I ran the batch it came up
as not finding the files.
It appears they've been renamed with .XXX by UT, and they have their version
over in the UT zone.
Is your addition primarily for improving the pre-UT scenery, or will yours
be better. How's that for a loaded question..
d:->))

Cheers'n Beers... [_])
Don
Anonymous
September 15, 2005 11:17:53 PM

Is anyone else having a problem downloading a copy of the file that ISN'T
corrupted?

"David Wilson-Okamura" <David Wilson-Okamura@forums.simradar.com> wrote in
message news:1126717771.31510@forums.simradar.com...
> This one's for you, Dallas: http://fs-freeflow.com

September 15, 2005 11:49:13 PM

Jay Williams wrote:
> Is anyone else having a problem downloading a copy of the file that
> ISN'T corrupted?

I had two bloopers from FF direct, but one from Avsim was ok.........
Anonymous
September 16, 2005 2:25:54 AM

I tried again using the "download manager" thing touted on the website. It
solved the problem

> Jay Williams wrote:
>> Is anyone else having a problem downloading a copy of the file that
>> ISN'T corrupted?
>>

> I had two bloopers from FF direct, but one from Avsim was ok.........

Anonymous
September 16, 2005 4:22:11 AM

Questions for Peter????

So far I've seen good reviews, but now I have a question.

You mentioned about coordinating to not interfere with each other? I use
Grimshaws KBOS1.1 and the Shehryar Ansari KLGA which are great sceneries.

I have your NYLR scenery downloaded but I have been hesitant to install it
in case it would interfere in the KLGA scenery.

Also, would you know if the Freeflow North East scenery would interfere in
these two sceneries?

Mark G
Not4wood

> Gregory <flightsim.maps@bkwds.comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> please provide a link to NYLR, would like to check it out. Can take
>> off from Wilkes Barre crossing Binghamton turning 300 crossing the
>> lakes.. then head out over Lake Erie and land at Cleveland. That's a
>> good short jetliner flight. :)
>
> http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID=fs2004scen&D...
> <SNIP>
> --
> Peter

> Newsgroups
> =----
September 16, 2005 4:22:12 AM

On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 00:22:11 GMT, "Not4wood"
<no_spam_mgottes@verizon.net> brought the following to our attention:

>Questions for Peter????
>
>So far I've seen good reviews, but now I have a question.
>
>You mentioned about coordinating to not interfere with each other? I use
>Grimshaws KBOS1.1 and the Shehryar Ansari KLGA which are great sceneries.
>
> I have your NYLR scenery downloaded but I have been hesitant to install it
>in case it would interfere in the KLGA scenery.
>

>Also, would you know if the Freeflow North East scenery would interfere in
>these two sceneries?
>
>Mark G

Have mapped the NY Lakes LWM files..and have a map of FFNW footprint.
Also identified the FS8 filesnames to disable or move to BAK folder..
but will restrain from posting away.

Thing is.. the coverage needs to be a bit broader geographically for
jet flights of any length. FF Florida is approaching a wide enough
area for serious jetting around!! :)

-Gregory

----------------------
>"Beech45Whiskey" <pjricc@gmail.com> wrote in message
>
>> Gregory <flightsim.maps@bkwds.comcast.net> wrote:
>>
>>> please provide a link to NYLR, would like to check it out. Can take
>>> off from Wilkes Barre crossing Binghamton turning 300 crossing the
>>> lakes.. then head out over Lake Erie and land at Cleveland. That's a
>>> good short jetliner flight. :)
>>
>> http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID=fs2004scen&D...
>>
>> --
>> Peter

September 16, 2005 4:22:12 AM

On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 23:41:11 -0400, Beech45Whiskey <pjricc@gmail.com>
brought the following to our attention:

>> Also, would you know if the Freeflow North East scenery would interfere in
>> these two sceneries?
>
>As I pointed out earlier, I don't know for sure, but at one time Scott
>(FreeFlow author) and I worked out a deal where he agreed to not do NY
>State. I, in turn, did not enhance shorelines east of the NY State border.

Happen to have the maps available.. here's the NY Lakes..
(most of them, that is)

http://home.comcast.net/~flightsim/NY_Lakes_LWMs.gif

and here's FFNE..

http://home.comcast.net/~flightsim/FFNE_LWMs.gif

Apparently there is coverage overlap in ADK (Adirondack?) area
and along Hudson River up to Lake Champlain.

-Gregory

>However, due to time constraints, I stopped working on shorelines whereas
>Scott continued. So, did he ultimately do NY for FFNE? It will not be a
>big deal for you to install NY Lakes and find out. The worst case scenario
>is that you will have double shorelines within NY borders, in which you
>would simply uninstall NY Lakes (the instructions provide simple, detailed
>steps in how to do this).
>
>--
>Peter
September 16, 2005 12:07:53 PM

Beech45Whiskey wrote:

> However, all of this said, the NY Lakes will not co-exist with UT in
> its current form. This is because UT has scenery files, as you
> indicated in your quote above, that contain the same lakes and
> shorelines as my NY scenery. This will result in you seeing double
> shorelines and lakes in NY state.

Thanks Peter - that's what I was thinking before going to any more trouble
myself.
However, here's UT Lake Placid, and it appears they did a fair dinkum job on
it!

http://members.cox.net/drpics/lake%20placid.jpg

Had your shot on 15" #2 monitor, and FS on 19" #1, so got them both on one
screenie.
September 16, 2005 3:39:22 PM

On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 06:34:18 -0400, Beech45Whiskey <pjricc@gmail.com>
brought the following to our attention:

>Gregory <flightsim.maps@bkwds.comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> Apparently there is coverage overlap in ADK (Adirondack?) area
>> and along Hudson River up to Lake Champlain.
>
>Thanks, Gregory. That does appear to be the case. FreeFlow should have
>went just a little bit west and included the Finger Lakes, rather than
>leaving the MS default (which is really Jeppesen's poor rendition) version.
>
>In this case, it would be easy for me to edit his scenery files and remove
>the overlap so as the two blended together. Perhaps I may do that since I
>want to install FreeFlow's scenery myself.

The last images perhaps made NY Lakes look dinky (small or covering
less area) compared to FFNE. Here's the same two images manipulated
with NY Lakes scaled by 175% making them overlay almost precisely.

http://home.comcast.net/~flightsim/NYLake_FFNE_overlay.... (153k)

Now the scope of NY state is seen in proper perspective. The overlap
region becomes clear when OPAQUE sliders are used.

-Gregory

p.s. and having fun with Paint Shop Pro layered technical images!!
Anonymous
September 17, 2005 8:08:11 AM

Thanks Peter. I'll give it a go and see how it looks.

Mark G
Not4wood

!