New vid card and I noticed it asks for more power..

vint1

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2006
Hey smart people,

I know one or a few of you could definetly help me out. Heres my situation:

I just bought a new PCI vid card for my Compaq that does not have an AGP or PCI-E slot (dont buy a compaq!). Anyways, I realized it requires 300 watts of power and for some reason this P4 machine only has a 250 watt power supply.

Would it be ok if I just ran it off the current 250 watt supply? Im really strapped for money.

If its really not a good idea to run it off the 250 watt supply then what is a really cheap and REALLY quiet power supply you would recommend?

Oh and I was thinking of overclocking it too so I could play the latest games.. Im guessing that would require even more power for the additional fan I would have to (?) install.

Here is the video card:
Here's the vid card: www.scherertech.com/sales

Here is my computer:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?cc=us&docname=c00316667

Thank you in advance! I appreciate your help!

TedMC

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2006
Looking at your computers description from your link,it doesnt look like that video card is gonna work at all....you dont have a pci-e slot...only pci. I am pretty sure you gonna need a new MB...and a new power supply. Big downside to the store bought PC's.

sleepdeprived82

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2005
Looking at your computers description from your link,it doesnt look like that video card is gonna work at all....you dont have a pci-e slot...only pci. I am pretty sure you gonna need a new MB...and a new power supply. Big downside to the store bought PC's.

He has orderd a PCI card not a PCI-e card so its fine.

Yeh I would say it will be ok for a while like its been said it may just not power up at worse.
You will know if its under powered it will just reboot or loose the screen mid game under high stress.

TedMC

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2006

Yeh I would say it will be ok for a while like its been said it may just not power up at worse.
You will know if its under powered it will just reboot or loose the screen mid game under high stress.

Oh,sorry.....my bad...PCI cards are pretty rare! It would probably be a good idea to install a fan monitor for the vid card,fan speed seems to be a good indicator of stress

pengwin

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006

Oh,sorry.....my bad...PCI cards are pretty rare! It would probably be a good idea to install a fan monitor for the vid card,fan speed seems to be a good indicator of stress

no.......if the card is underpowered after u install drivers the nvidia console will say the video card is under powered and since the fan cannot run it will lower the core speeds so the GPU doesnt fry.