Sign in with
Your question

Should i go for an FX57? Opinions....

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
June 25, 2006 9:19:27 AM

Hi, ive found a really good offer for this CPU (New, boxd, retail) on eBay for $540 (Buy it now price) and I am considering buying but i just wanna be sure that this is still a pretty top of the range proccesser.... I mean it is right?? Is it still considered fast/powerful? Im looking for opinions on this CPU and would it last me a long time before i will need to upgrade? Just so you know, im not interested in conroe (not a fanboy...). Also there is an FX60 on offer for $680. Im a gamer so i dont no bout dual core but whatever you guys think.... Thanks for any advice.

More about : fx57 opinions

June 25, 2006 9:22:07 AM

Quote:
Hi, ive found a really good offer for this CPU (New, boxd, retail) on eBay for $540 (Buy it now price) and I am considering buying but i just wanna be sure that this is still a pretty top of the range proccesser.... I mean it is right?? Is it still considered fast/powerful? Im looking for opinions on this CPU and would it last me a long time before i will need to upgrade? Just so you know, im not interested in conroe (not a fanboy...). Thanks for any advice.
Yes, it's still the fastest single-core processor on the market. It even beats the FX-60, and FX-62 in some things, but if you're going to spend $500+ on a processor, why not get a Dual-core?
June 25, 2006 9:26:51 AM

I just edited the post above sayin ther is an FX60 (dual core) on offer aswell for $680 so do you think id be better off with that?
Related resources
June 25, 2006 9:37:09 AM

wait for conroe to be released and then make your choice.
June 25, 2006 9:41:36 AM

Quote:
Did you read his post. He said he isn't interested in Conroe.
June 25, 2006 9:45:25 AM

well the that is just stupid. Even the basic conre beats the FX60.
June 25, 2006 9:46:14 AM

Quote:

Agree.
June 25, 2006 9:47:12 AM

Quote:
I just edited the post above sayin ther is an FX60 (dual core) on offer aswell for $680 so do you think id be better off with that?
Only you know your usage patterns. The FX-57 is a great gaming processor, but the FX-60 is also, but more so in games that take advantage of dual-core. Don't forget the FX-57 has a 200MHz advantage, which helps in single threaded apps. If you multi-task, or do video encoding, or any heavy-duty media work, than the FX-60 would be better. You have to decide whether the extra $150 is worth it to you. GL :) 
June 25, 2006 9:49:40 AM

Quote:
well the that is just stupid. Even the basic conre beats the FX60.
I know, but our role here is to offer him the advise he asked, not try and force him to see things our way. I agree, Conroe is better, but he stated right away(because he knew most people would suggest it) that Conroe isn't an option, and we should respect that. :wink:
June 25, 2006 11:52:56 AM

In my opinion that would be dumb. You could buy an entire AM2 system for $500 with a decent cpu. Then you could upgrade when the 65nm X2's come out and drop in price.
June 25, 2006 11:55:00 AM

Quote:
In my opinion that would be dumb. You could buy an entire AM2 system for $500 with a decent cpu. Then you could upgrade when the 65nm X2's come out and drop in price.
Not one that's gonna beat his current setup.
June 25, 2006 11:56:15 AM

Alright guys thanks for your advice, i think i might just go for the FX57 seeing as i dont do many things the would benifit from dual core and i mostly play games. The reason i said that im not considering Conroe is cause i have an AMD board and i dont want to have the bother of getting a new one when my current one is only a couple of months old (a good one too), and also i dont see the need for an extra powerful/fast CPU cause i only need something thats powerful enough to play games and handle any up coming high end graphics cards. An FX57 will be future proof right?
June 25, 2006 11:58:30 AM

Quote:
Alright guys thanks for your advice, i think i might just go for the FX57 seeing as i dont do many things the would benifit from dual core and i mostly play games. The reason i said that im not considering Conroe is cause i have an AMD board and i dont want to have the bother of getting a new one when my current one is only a couple of months old (a good one too), and also i dont see the need for an extra powerful/fast CPU cause i only need something thats powerful enough to play games and handle any up coming high end graphics cards. An FX57 will be future proof right?
Well...eventually most games will benefit from dual-core.
June 25, 2006 12:48:37 PM

The FX-57 wasnt worth buying when it was brand-new, now its total waste of money, unless youre like "w00t I got a FX/1k CPU".
June 25, 2006 1:22:53 PM

Quote:

So your saying a 65nm X2 at 3+ghz is not going to outperform a single core 3700+?
Thats why you take advice with a grain of salt around here, some people are just plain uneducated. :roll:
June 25, 2006 3:24:02 PM

I don't really think $500 could buy a High-end AM2 Mobo and 2GBs of RAM(Corsair premium to boot)... not to mention that getting 3+GHz on a X2 with stock cooling isn't really guaranteed.
a c 99 à CPUs
June 25, 2006 3:47:46 PM

To answer your questions:

1. The FX-57 is still a pretty top-of-the-line processor. It will perform very well in games and single-threaded applications. You would have to buy a $1200 FX-62 to match it in those areas.

2. The FX-57 is pretty powerful for single-threaded applications and games. However, the FX-57 will bog down more than an Athlon X2 when you have two or more intensive applications open (i.e. you are trying to play a game while your Windows antivirus is running.)

3. As far as future-proofing- forget about it. NO motherboard, RAM, processor or graphics card will be very competitive or upgradeable in a couple of years. Buy what you want to use now and figure that you cannot upgrade those parts and that all costs are sunk (i.e. non-recoverable) costs. However, more and more programs are becoming multithreaded, and a dual-core CPU will handle these better than a single-core one.

4. If you are a very serious gamer, expect to have to gut the CPU, motherboard, RAM, and GPU out of your machine and replace every 18 months or so and then replace with new stuff. You'll likely want to get a new GPU about every 9 months or so to keep playing at high res and detail. If you're not so serious (you don't mind playing games at 1024x768 medium detail or don't play the latest system-killer games) you will likely have to do that at 24-30 months instead, and upgrade the GPU every year or so. If you're not a gamer, your mileage will vary GREATLY- dev work or encoding/editing will suggest a new machine every 3 years or so and office-app usage only will basically allow you to run the machine until it breaks.

5. I'd never buy a CPU from Ebay, especially a high-end one. I have heard lots of horror stories about people trying to OC those chips and rendering them half brain-dead and then trying to pass them off on some unsuspecting victim and then flying away by night. If I was to ever buy a used CPU from anybody, I'd have to know them and be able to get a hold of them later if the chip doesn't work right.
June 25, 2006 3:57:27 PM

before u drop 500 bux u could try to overblock your 3700... get a decent cooler for it and try to hit fx57 speeds, you may not be able to without water cooling but its worth a shot, i always thought fx series were a bit overpriced and not worth the money, there more of bragging rights... then again it is over 200 bux off retail so u could try it... i just dont think its worth the 500 dollars for it, if u want to boost gaming performance id get the 7950gt2 or whatevr... or maybe just save the money for a next upgrade or games comming out :p ... but its ur money do what u wish
June 25, 2006 5:25:12 PM

OMG i just cant get over the fact that 939s are suddenly out.... just like that! I only got my system 4-5 months ago and i just cant believe that i basically wasted all that money on something that will (apparently) be dam useless in a few months time!! I mean what the hell am i supposed to do :? this is so frustrating!
June 25, 2006 5:54:48 PM

Wait for the price drop by the end of the year., If money is burnig your pocket you may buy second GFX card. What games and at what resolution you are playing?
June 25, 2006 6:06:29 PM

Yea, it's totally useless. Lemme find you a good recycling plant to reclaim the material. Less guilt, you know. So all you have to do to sleep at night is mail it to me :wink:
June 25, 2006 6:13:46 PM

Well i am starting to play high end games and will now always be playing them so i definately need my system to always be able to take on upcoming demanding games at full detail/settings. At the moment i play games at 1024res. but cant go much higher cause only got a 19', and besides my one and only really high end game at the moment (FEAR) is just barely playable on MAX settings at that Resolution. Played Bf2 on that res but i could probly run it okay on 1280x1024 now.... On your suggestion of getting a second GTX, i have deeply considered that and come to the conclusion that my CPU would definately not manage 7800GTX's in SLI let alone single, which brings me back to considering a more powerful CPU (hence my frustration...)
June 25, 2006 6:46:49 PM

According to http://www.guru3d.com/article/content/231/2/ you should be fine with your processor and two 7800GTX . You could also overclock your A64 3700+ slightly(they did testing with A64 4000+).
At higher resolutions a CPU is not the limiting factor anymore.
If you look at test performed by Tom in Doom III: http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu.html?modelx=33&model1...
At 1024 FX-57 has about 8% advantage over A64 3700+, but at 1280 it is only 2%. I would first upgrade to two 7800GTX, and processor later if it is necessary.
June 25, 2006 7:41:13 PM

after a certain point in ur cpu power u will only get marginal gains in perforamnce, as this kid just said... but upgrading to sli will give a much bigger boost, especially in games like fear. fear is a VERY demanding game for a 7800gtx, the cpu is plenty powerful ATM
June 25, 2006 7:51:18 PM

Ok, let me see here
You would like to buy a fx57 for $540, you don’t like to buy a conroe which is about $200 less because you don’t want to change your motherboard, you say that you might just buy that fx60 for $680 if it is necessary when in fact it is about $340 more expensive than a conroe (prices based on the conroe E6600), you also state that you have a 19' monitor and would like to play hi-end games with high resolution's.
I only have one thing to say, I got some ocean front property in Arizona, wanna buy, its going for a good price?
Are you crazy or insane... take your pick :roll:
The way I look at it is that you are a AMD fanboy and just told us in other words that you will stick to buying AMD products no matter what better and cheaper solutions are out there.
Any person with a brain would instead sell that Amd 64 3700+ and that ASUS A8n-sli ( I don’t have the second-hand prices but I know that you just wont give them away, or would you? ), wait, and then buy a E6600 with a good motherboard ( don’t forget you have to buy new memory, oh and you can sell your old ones too, its ok, you have my permission :roll: ) and then sell that 7800gtx and then with the money that you were going to flush down the drain for a fx57 or fx60 buy a 7950 for $599. That way you will own the games in terms of frame-rate and still have some money to buy a new hi-end game.
But oh you must be saying by know that "Oh man! Who would go through all that trouble on upgrading a system"
Then I would say that "Oh man! You surely are the King Potato of couch potatoes, your beyond that, your a Uber King Potato or a Uber King*100^n couch potato, you are upgrading no matter what so why not do it sanely ! geez "
Although you might own a decent system right now and have a decent processor, The way you think shows that your brain is running on a half-burnt 386sx with 640kb of ram ( note that is not even a 386dx ) running on a virus infected version of dos v2.0 because if it was something better you would realize that from now on about every program and game made will be optimized for new technologies and not to forget that Intel will surely support game makers so that the game technology is optimized for the conroe core.

I fell sorry for people like you who don’t even realize what your doing and how much money and performance you'll lose and it makes me mad that I have to work hard, day and night in order to upgrade my system when people like you flush money down the toilet, you my friend are a spoiled rich kid who takes money for granted and doesn't know the real value of a dollar.

P.S: For any of you thinking that I am a Intel fanboy your all wrong, I own both AMD and Intel processors ( AMD barton 2500+ and a Prescot 3000 ) and to tell you the truth the Prescot isn't worth s**t a lot of money wasted on the piece of crap, I am a fanboy of technology, I love it and I owe a debt of gratitude to companies like AMD,Intel,Nvidia,ATI and IBM for if it weren't them we would still be working with stone-age computers and graphic card with ooohhh, 16kb memory .... cool rock on dude 8O :D  :wink: ( forgive me for all of the other important companies I left out )
June 25, 2006 7:55:31 PM

I suppose another 7800GTX will be a good bit cheaper than getting a new CPU (especially FX57). The only thing though is that i dont want to run into a problem where a few months after getting my SLI 7800GTX setup a new better range comes out (alternative and superior to SLI) and ive wasted money again. Knowing my luck this is very likely to happen :roll: Anyway apart from that rambling i like the idea of going SLI and may come to a solid decision on it if i get a few more ppls opinions on this option (second card). It would be great to not have to worry about framerate anymore...
June 25, 2006 8:14:16 PM

Okay first of all in the above post i stated very clearly, and acknowleged that i cant go very high in res cause i only have a 19' monitor and that the max i play at is 1280res.. :roll: Second, there was and is no need for insults, i did not insult you, so what reason did you have to insult me (especially in such anger) ? I have always respected ppl on these forums and never have i insulted or disrespected anyone (unprovoked)..... so why dont you act a bit more mature and do the same... I came here for help/friendly advice, not to be judged and insulted.
June 25, 2006 8:45:56 PM

Quote:
Hi, ive found a really good offer for this CPU (New, boxd, retail) on eBay for $540 (Buy it now price) and I am considering buying but i just wanna be sure that this is still a pretty top of the range proccesser.... I mean it is right?? Is it still considered fast/powerful? Im looking for opinions on this CPU and would it last me a long time before i will need to upgrade? Just so you know, im not interested in conroe (not a fanboy...). Also there is an FX60 on offer for $680. Im a gamer so i dont no bout dual core but whatever you guys think.... Thanks for any advice.

Well it is still the fastest single core desktop.
June 25, 2006 8:46:30 PM

Oh, please forgive me if I seemed to harsh, I didn't want to insult I wanted to be extreme so you would realize what I’m saying and what mistake your making.
You said
Quote:
Well I am starting to play high end games and will now always be playing them so I definitely need my system to always be able to take on upcoming demanding games at full detail/settings.

and that
Quote:
At the moment I play games at 1024res. but cant go much higher cause only got a 19'
ok I miss-read that second part but still you want to play at a better res. and frame-rate don’t you?
but my answer lies in your first need and that is so you can play hi-end games with ease, and please I again apologize if insulted you in any way, the only reason I responded like that was so you would get my picture and although I don’t know you or anyone else on these forums, I still consider you my friends ( brothers through technology you can say ), and the anger was only because It makes me mad to see if my friend or anyone else on that matter were to spend more for something less.
Please take my words as if your friend were telling you this, get the most from your money

With deep apologies
Samuel
June 25, 2006 8:48:30 PM

Quote:

So your saying a 65nm X2 at 3+ghz is not going to outperform a single core 3700+?
Thats why you take advice with a grain of salt around here, some people are just plain uneducated. :roll:You're such a 'tard. Use your eyes. I said "not in his price range". Sound it out. NOT.....IN......HIS.....PRICE......RANGE! There, understand now? What x2 @ 3GHz plus are you talking about....They don't exist. Remember, you're the one who insists that Conroe doesn't exist, and all the site are benching them. Which sites have benched a 3GHz+ x2? AND, you really think he can get that processor and a mobo and RAM for $530? You really do live in a toilet bowl. You must have rapid onset Alzheimers. :roll:
June 25, 2006 9:03:44 PM

Alright dont worry about it, thanks for your concern.
June 25, 2006 9:04:22 PM

Oh and If I really wanted to be mean to you I would say "Fx57 and fx60 are both great if you have extra cash go buy a fx60 it will be much better", now that is mean , spending $640 on a processor which will cost about 250-300$ in 2 more months ( just an assumption ) and still be worthless against the conroe ( please bear with me people, the reason I say this is not because I am a fanboy or something but only because I know that future game releases are going to be conroe optimized, just like future AMD Processor optimizations are going to be in tomorrows games )
June 25, 2006 9:15:15 PM

You're perfectly right, but keep in mind he has a budget of ~$500. Even with Core it will be difficult to get th same level of performance as a FX-57 with $500 worth of a CPU, RAM and mobo...
June 25, 2006 9:21:31 PM

Sorry that I keep rambling on but I have one more thing to say
I myself made a HUGE mistake on buying a Prescott 3000, it was the biggest mistake I ever made and the reason I made it was because some s**t-head fanboy said that "It works so good and smooth its a great system I suggest that your next upgrade be a Intel" and that I was such a dumb-ass and never researched the real story thus causing me to lose a lot of money on nothing, this is why I respond this way, based on my own experience and please don’t make the same mistake that I did, from that day on I research on everything I want to buy and visit THG and its forums everyday to learn more about up-coming and existing products.
and one again :oops:  I apologize for any harm done, I am not the kind of person to bash another and if I did then I am the idiot, I don't like to wrong people and if I accidentally did I'm not afraid of saying I'm sorry or too proud to say that I acted like a jackass.

So in this case, I'm sorry and I acted like a jackass, please forgive me
June 25, 2006 9:25:48 PM

Quote:
Sorry that I keep rambling on but I have one more thing to say
I myself made a HUGE mistake on buying a Prescott 3000, it was the biggest mistake I ever made and the reason I made it was because some s**t-head fanboy said that "It works so good and smooth its a great system I suggest that your next upgrade be a Intel" and that I was such a dumb-ass and never researched the real story thus causing me to lose a lot of money on nothing, this is why I respond this way, based on my own experience and please don’t make the same mistake that I did, from that day on I research on everything I want to buy and visit THG and its forums everyday to learn more about up-coming and existing products.
and one again :oops:  I apologize for any harm done, I am not the kind of person to bash another and if I did then I am the idiot, I don't like to wrong people and if I accidentally did I'm not afraid of saying I'm sorry or too proud to say that I acted like a jackass.

So in this case, I'm sorry and I acted like a jackass, please forgive me
Very nice. It take a man to admit his mistakes..well done. :wink:
June 25, 2006 9:26:39 PM

Quote:
Oh and If I really wanted to be mean to you I would say "Fx57 and fx60 are both great if you have extra cash go buy a fx60 it will be much better", now that is mean , spending $640 on a processor which will cost about 250-300$ in 2 more months ( just an assumption ) and still be worthless against the conroe ( please bear with me people, the reason I say this is not because I am a fanboy or something but only because I know that future game releases are going to be conroe optimized, just like future AMD Processor optimizations are going to be in tomorrows games )

WTH does Conroe optimized mean? I've now heard it alll.
June 25, 2006 9:33:12 PM

Maybe he means Dual-Core optimised? Since all Core CPUs are DC... :?
June 25, 2006 10:01:27 PM

Quote:
WTH does Conroe optimized mean?

Aren't you a programmer?
June 25, 2006 10:05:27 PM

Quote:

Has anyone pointed out to this guy just how many games DO (present tense) support dual core processors?!? Personally, I think anyone buying an FX-57 at this point is making a mistake.
June 25, 2006 10:07:11 PM

Quote:
You're perfectly right, but keep in mind he has a budget of ~$500. Even with Core it will be difficult to get th same level of performance as a FX-57 with $500 worth of a CPU, RAM and mobo...

Ok then lets do the math shall we
currently he has the following

Athlon 64 3700+
Asus A8n-SLI Premium
Seasonic 600W PSU
2Gigs Corsair Xms RAM |3-3-3-8|
Xfx geforce 7800Gtx (475Mhz)
WD Raptor 150GB
Monitor - LG Flatron 19" LCD

now by selling the 3700+, Asus A8n, 2 gigs corsair xms and 7800gtx how much do you think he'll get?
my estimate is about 150+150+130+340=770$
now a new E6600 is estimated at about=316$
a Motherboard with a 965 or 975 chipset=200$ D975XBX
2 gigs of Value ram ( better price )=180$ ocz pc2-5400 ddr2
that equals a sum of: $696
now a Geforce 7950 with 1 gig ram costs $600
600+696= 1296USD
you already have 770$ so 1296-770=526$
I think that the extra 26$ is worth it
( all used pc components were obtained from ebay )
( all new pc components were from Toms Hardware store )
June 25, 2006 10:08:16 PM

Quote:
Has anyone pointed out to this guy just how many games DO (present tense) support dual core processors?!?

3?
June 25, 2006 10:42:13 PM

Quote:

WTH does Conroe optimized mean? I've now heard it alll.

Oh Baron, I’m shocked to see you ask that after all of the intelligent posts I have read from you in other topics ( I don’t know why but this sentence seemed just a little gay to me… :lol:  ).Well nobody’s perfect and not everybody knows everything so I’ll explain what I know.

when you write a program it can be done in many ways, it can be optimized in many ways, what does optimization mean you say, it means to use something to its best advantage, which in processor terms means to use all possible instructions that exist in a cpu, some programs are AMD optimized ( sse,sse2,sse3,3dnow,3dnow+,etc... ) and some are Intel optimized ( sse,sse2,sse3, etc.. , but without 3dnow and 3dnow+ )
and some are both, but optimization doesn’t end here, for programmers knowing the architecture of the cpu and how it interacts with the memory and the rest of the components is very important also. Is it Dual-core or single core? If its optimized for dual core then the game will for ex. send real-world physics algorithms to the first core while the second does the rest, or maybe do something entirely different! Although processors are forced ( or they seem to be forced to me ) to be compatible with existing programs and games, the programs will always benefit by adding cpu optimizations to their programs this way the cpu can run the program without needing to "downgrade" itself (so to speak) so it can run at the programs level, your a gamer right? Ever seen the nvidia logo at the beginning of a game, that’s not there for advertising alone, but it there to also inform you that the game is nvidia optimized, nvidia games always run better on nvidia graphics as so the ATI games always run better on ATI graphics, although both graphics are using Directx 9.0+ and might seem that they should perform the same ( given that the are both identical in specs )they don’t, that’s because the program has optimizations for the hardware's architecture, just the way we have optimizations for our cpu, the only reason we don’t see any intel or amd logos anymore at the beginning of a game ( do note that I said “don’t see anymore” in the land of dos games we did for ex. the game Privateer a 3 cd game would show the intel logo and say that its intel optimized when a intel cpu was installed ) is because the use of cpu optimizations became common in the game world (although that still cant be said for programs, I have a video encoding program called TMPEG that even lets you choose what optimizations to use) but that’s about to change again (history repeats itself)

If what I said still seems fuzzy you can research some yourself and If I can contribute to your knowledge I would be glad to help
June 25, 2006 10:58:21 PM

Quote:
Has anyone pointed out to this guy just how many games DO (present tense) support dual core processors?!?

3?

I like the way you said it action man, after this very short time that dual core has arrived we already have some games, so pretty sure all new games that arrived will certainly support dual core optimizations ( given that the game engine was designed at the time where they were able to test and design the program on a dual core )

Oh and one more thing even previous games that benefited from intels hyper-threading can benefit from dual core, why? Because Hyper-threading created 2 virtual cpus, although they are virtual, programs that were designed for hyper-threading or more than one cpu would detect 2 cpus and you were able to achieve a decent multi-tasking experience, the only drawback was that in the end your were only using 1 cpu thus the power of 1 cpu but with the introduction of core 2 duo we have now the power of 2, although the architecture is different and still needs to be optimized for the conroe.
Let me summarize it like this, before dual core came out all of new intel cpus had hyper-threading support on it, but why when the dual core's came out the hyper-threading logo went away? because it didn't need it, it already has 2 cores, it doesn't need hyper-threading to make 2 virtual cpu's and programs that support hyper-threading actually mean that they are multiple cpu compatible (because they support threading), although still the program has to be dual core optimized for full advantage and the few games out now that state are dual core optimized are exactly that dual core optimized they take full advantage of 2 independent physical cores.
June 25, 2006 11:06:24 PM

I wouldnt expect many multithreaded games till we get some UE3 games and/or console ports.
June 25, 2006 11:12:57 PM

Not that you're wrong logically, but you're the only one who ever mentioned selling anything...
OK, did a quick around eBay anyway:
7800GTX: Highest one with any bids was $314... for two of them. Lowest was $31
3700+: Highest with bids $189, lowest $50 (Not sure about cores)
AN8-SLI: Highest $115, lowest.. $1.99(1 bid)
Corsair: too much stuff, but anything from $1-100.

Action_man: Quake 4 and....... bah.
June 25, 2006 11:20:48 PM

Yea, but he wanted to upgrade is 3700+ to a fx57 so initially I expected that he would want to sell it, it would be better if he did anyway because the price on that cpu is going to drop bad, its better to sell it now while somebody will still buy it, so logically in order to upgrade to a conroe you will have to replace your previous parts and if he can sell them at a decent price he can upgrade to the system i mentioned earlier for just ~530 on comparison to the ~500 budget he has, not bad for a conroe upgrade and a 7950 graphic card right ?
June 25, 2006 11:24:50 PM

Quote:
I wouldnt expect many multithreaded games till we get some UE3 games and/or console ports.

Somewhat dated list of multithreaded apps:

http://www.denniskarlsson.com/smp/

But I tend to agree, it will be next year/next gen games that take complete advantage.

thank you jumping jack for that link, now that means that all of those programs listed will benifit from dual-core and core 2 duo to some extent, if not to a full extent ( which i doubt but its still possible )

We have had multithreaded apps for a long time, because we have had systems that supported more than 1 cpu for a long time and its been quite a while that hyper-threading has been around.
June 25, 2006 11:30:02 PM

Quote:

Sounds like a great low price...and new in the box to boot.

For that same price I have a new in the box bridge and will throw in the water under it as a extra bonus. :wink:
June 26, 2006 12:05:13 AM

Right, well i really have a lot of different opinions/suggestions here on what to do so its gonna take a lot of thinking for me to come to a decision. I guess what i might do first of all is wait, like some of you suggested, for price drops in both AMD and Intel and then decide, but im still kinda going back and forth between different options (which each have there advantages/disadvantages). Some ppl a page back suggested that i go for a second GTX for an SLI setup, as it would keep me going (gaming wise) for a good while but although i like the thought of having an SLI setup i cant help realising that its probly not gonna last very long at all. I mean if i read right you guys are basically saying that with the setup i have now i wont be able to play any upcoming games coming out in the next few months/year cause my system (939 setup) will be too outdated to support them, and my only option is to do a big upgrade (latest AMD/Intel mobo/CPU, new RAM, latest Graphics card) in order to even run the latest games as im doing now. Am i correct? I just want to be 100% clear on what situation im actually in.
June 26, 2006 12:22:58 AM

Quote:
Right, well i really have a lot of different opinions/suggestions here on what to do so its gonna take a lot of thinking for me to come to a decision. I guess what i might do first of all is wait, like some of you suggested, for price drops in both AMD and Intel and then decide, but im still kinda going back and forth between different options (which each have there advantages/disadvantages). Some ppl a page back suggested that i go for a second GTX for an SLI setup, as it would keep me going (gaming wise) for a good while but although i like the thought of having an SLI setup i cant help realising that its probly not gonna last very long at all. I mean if i read right you guys are basically saying that with the setup i have now i wont be able to play any upcoming games coming out in the next few months/year cause my system (939 setup) will be too outdated to support them, and my only option is to do a big upgrade (latest AMD/Intel mobo/CPU, new RAM, latest Graphics card) in order to even run the latest games as im doing now. Am i correct? I just want to be 100% clear on what situation im actually in.

Your absolutly right, if you wait and then upgrade later when the core2duo is out, at least you'll know if all of the Intel advertising was right and if it doesn't turn out to be what we all anticipated, then at least at that time the prices would have gone down a bit and it would be even easier to buy a different hi-end system, but always keep in mind that even if the Intel core 2 duo isn't all its supposed to be, game makers will skew towards the new platform whether we like it or not ( i'm pretty sure that intel will even pay game and program makers to build core 2 duo optimized programs ) so that its new cpu doesn't go down the drain if it's not all it says to be, which I doubt, but there is always a possibility.
!