Got a small problem from a stupid mistake.....

dokman

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2006
Hope you guys can help cos im stuck on this one.

I have recently had a few problems with a dvd writer in that it wouldnt eject the disc that was in it, its been getting worse and it was interferring with windows, opening/closing all the time or at least trying too.

Anyway what i did was pop the side off and take out the voltage to the drive. The drive was the master on the 2nd IDE channel.

Since doing this all my drives are having giving me this problem. When i click on them in my computer to open them up there is a 3-4 sec delay before they open, it also applies to the folders too and files opening.

What did i do !! ive even replaced the master with a maxtor 120 gig HD and that aint solved it. Ive looked in the bios and all the drives read right.

Is there anything i can do in XP to check why its doing this. Im hoping you guys can come up with a fix to my problem.

I will endeavour to answer any question you need the answer too to help solve my little screw up

Cheers

Dokman

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
Hope you guys can help cos im stuck on this one.

I have recently had a few problems with a dvd writer in that it wouldnt eject the disc that was in it, its been getting worse and it was interferring with windows, opening/closing all the time or at least trying too.

Anyway what i did was pop the side off and take out the voltage to the drive. The drive was the master on the 2nd IDE channel.

Since doing this all my drives are having giving me this problem. When i click on them in my computer to open them up there is a 3-4 sec delay before they open, it also applies to the folders too and files opening.

What did i do !! ive even replaced the master with a maxtor 120 gig HD and that aint solved it. Ive looked in the bios and all the drives read right.

Is there anything i can do in XP to check why its doing this. Im hoping you guys can come up with a fix to my problem.

I will endeavour to answer any question you need the answer too to help solve my little screw up

Cheers

Dokman
Unplug the IDE cable from the DVD. Set whatever else is on that channel as master. Xp is probably looking for the master on the 2nd channel, which is causing the delay. GL :)

dokman

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2006
thats what i thought, so thats why i put the 120 HD on there as the master, but to no avail.

It seems as tho windows is searching for something, but its consistent, as in it also does it when i turn my dig camera on and look at the images, it takes a few secs to get going

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
thats what i thought, so thats why i put the 120 HD on there as the master, but to no avail.

It seems as tho windows is searching for something, but its consistent, as in it also does it when i turn my dig camera on and look at the images, it takes a few secs to get going
Well, since the DVD drive is pooched, you're probably going to have to get another one. Try a new one, and make sure it's set up the same as the other was. Didn't you say the problem started after you removed the DVD? See what happens then. :?

dokman

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2006
sorry i think ive confused the issue here. The dvd drive is no longer in the system at all, i took it out, plus i thought windows was smart enough to compensate for this type of problem, i did remove the power to the dvd drive when the pc was on and fully booted up

Datman

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2004
i did remove the power to the dvd drive when the pc was on and fully booted up
You most likely just FUBARed your DVD drive & maybe some damage to your mobo.
NEVER do this with the system ON.
Don't try this at home folks.