External HD of Internal HD in enclosure?

I want to throw my heap of backup DVD-R's away and replace them with a simple external HD drive, but I can't decide between 2 methods:

1. An external hard disk drive;
I would choose the WESTERN DIGITAL Mybook 250GB USB2.0 External (about $125 where I live).

Or:

2. An internal hard disk drive, put in a portable enclosure;
I would choose a comparable HD, like the WESTERN DIGITAL 250GB-KS 16MB SATA300 7200RPM ($84), using the ICY BOX silver IB-360STUS-BL External USB 3.5 Inch enclosure ($48).

As you can see, there is no real price difference. Method °2 leaves me with an overall better disk drive (16MB, SATA), but since I'll be only using the USB connection (one of my pc's is pretty old) I don't think that would make much of a difference. And wouldn't the external MyBook HD have better shock protection?

Your advice please!
6 answers Last reply
More about external internal enclosure
  1. I would go for option #2. That gives you more future useage, in case you decide to mount it internally in a new pc at a later date. Also, I think the ICY BOX should provide enough shock protection, long as you aren't using it as a football or anything.
  2. The internal solution is absolutely better.
    Anyway making backups on HDD is the more insecure way of doing it! It can be very hard to detect a failure until you will not need the backup data... I personally always keep regular backups on DVD and all offices and coporations use DVD or tapes... thinks twice before doing it!
  3. Quote:
    I would go for option #2. That gives you more future useage, in case you decide to mount it internally in a new pc at a later date. Also, I think the ICY BOX should provide enough shock protection, long as you aren't using it as a football or anything.

Thanks for the reply.
    Do I need any special setup for an externally connected SATA drive? My current setup uses 2 internal EIDE drives, but my MB should definitely be SATA ready.
  4. If the enclosure has USB connection, you won't have any special issues, since the SATA controller is integrated in the enclosure.
  5. Quote:
    If the enclosure has USB connection, you won't have any special issues, since the SATA controller is integrated in the enclosure.

I know, but besides the USB interface, the enclosure also has a SATA connection which I'd prefere to use for the far higher transfer speeds..
  6. If you have a long enough SATA line, you might be able to run that into the case and to a SATA connection on the motherboard. Also check the motherboard itself. Mine has an external SATA port just for an external SATA hard drive, for example.
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives Western Digital Enclosure HD Storage Product