new build technical issues?`

frankenwookie

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2006
I finished building my PC and after loading everything on to the computer and formatting the harddrive it will run for extended period of time then just turn off. I have been monitoring the CPU and MOBO and they are exactly where they should be. Would incompatability with ram or the PSU cause the shut down? Any suggestions? There is no blue screen of death or anything it just shuts down.

sailer

Splendid
If there was a problem with the ram, it probably wouldn't boot up at all. You didn't say what the model of psu was, but that is also unlikely to cause this problem. Check to see if you have hibernate enabled, or any of the other power savers enabled. Also check to see how much time of inactivity is listed before they kick in. In the BIOS, check whrether or not you have the boxes indicating a restart upon use of keyboard, mouse, etc. checked.

It could be that you computer is just set to automatically turn off if you stop using it for a few minutes. Don't know for sure if that's what's happening, but its a place to start looking.

frankenwookie

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2006
If there was a problem with the ram, it probably wouldn't boot up at all. You didn't say what the model of psu was, but that is also unlikely to cause this problem. Check to see if you have hibernate enabled, or any of the other power savers enabled. Also check to see how much time of inactivity is listed before they kick in. In the BIOS, check whrether or not you have the boxes indicating a restart upon use of keyboard, mouse, etc. checked.

It could be that you computer is just set to automatically turn off if you stop using it for a few minutes. Don't know for sure if that's what's happening, but its a place to start looking.

I have an enermax liberty 500w PSU. It continues to shut down. I have an a8n32-sli mobo and all the temperature seem to be pretty spot on at cpu 33-37c and the modo between 38-43c.

sailer

Splendid
Ok, the psu is a good one. I have the same mobo. I had to RMA the first one, but since I got the second, everything has been fine. There's lots of fine tuning available in the BIOS, but that also means there are more places for problems. Like I said, check the hibernate, power off modes, resart and so on. If all those are disabled and the problems continue, you might have a bad board. Your temptaratures are good, so they shouldn't be any problem.

frankenwookie

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2006
Actually after a little more use I discovered that the PSU fan was not engaging during use and after an extended period of time would just power off. The enermax website suggested that I RMA the PSU. I guess If that isn't it then the mobo will be next.

MrsD

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
Ah, a bad power supply fan will shut down the pc every time.
That kind of problem is nearly always caused by heat. :wink:

sailer

Splendid
An unfortunate fact of hardware. Even a part that looks good can still be bad. As Mrs D wrote, heat will build up and stop everything. Hope the replacement PSU solves the problems. Makes life so much easier.