boot from CD

Can anyone tell me how to boot an XP machine from a CD? I
have an XP machine that displays the message "run.dll
missing". I'm assuming I'll have to boot from the
original installation CD to reinstall XP or at least some
of the XP components. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
More about boot

    When do you see the message Run.Dll missing? Do you need
    the program? Because if you are seeing it at startup,
    and you don't need the program, it is probably left over
    from a deleted program. You can remove it from your
    start up by doing the following.

    1) note name of file in error message
    2) From the Start menu, select Run
    3) Type msconfig in your run keyword/ click OK
    4) Find the file in question and remove it from your
    startup.

    I had a similar issue when I ran some virus/spyware
    software and had it remove one of the programs, the left
    over file in the startup was causing that error.

    Good luck!

    Try a Repair Install as follows:
    NOTE, while a repair install should leave your data files intact, if
    something goes wrong during the repair install, you may be forced to start
    over and do a clean install of XP. If you don't have your data backed up,
    you would lose your data should that eventuality occur.

    Assuming your system is set to boot from the CD-ROM drive and you have an
    actual XP CD as opposed to a recovery CD, boot with the XP
    CD in the drive and perform a repair install as outlined below. If the
    system isn't set to boot from the CD or you are not sure, you need to enter
    the system's BIOS. When you boot the system, the first screen usually has
    instructions that if you wish to enter set press a specific key, when you
    see that, do so. Then you will have to navigate to the boot sequence, if
    the CD-ROM drive is not first line, set it first in the boot sequence. Save
    your settings and exit with the XP CD in the drive. The system will reboot.

    When the system boots, a few screens into the process you may see a message
    instructing you
    to hit any key in order to boot from the CD along with a countdown. When
    you see this be sure to
    hit a key on the keyboard, if you miss this instruction and the system fails
    to boot from the CD, it's too
    late, you'll need to reboot and try again.

    Once you have pressed a key, setup should begin. You will see a reference
    asking if you need to load special drivers and another notice that if you
    wish to begin the ASR (Automatic Recovery Console) depress F2. Just let
    setup run past all of that. It will continue to load files and drivers.

    Then it will bring you to a screen. Eventually, you will come to a screen
    with the option to (1) setup Windows or (2) Repair Windows Installation
    using the Recovery console. ***The selection you want at this screen is
    "Setup Windows,"
    NOT "Repair Windows Installation.

    The first option, to setup Windows is the one you want and requires you to
    press enter. When asked, press F8 to accept the end user agreement. Setup
    will then search for previous versions of Windows. Upon finding your
    version, it will ask if you wish to Repair your current installation or
    install fresh. Press R, that will run a repair installation. From there
    on, follow the screens.

    Note, in some cases, you won't receive the repair option, only an option to
    reinstall. We have discovered that sometimes this is caused by damaged
    boot.ini file that can be repaired as follows and also note, in the
    instructions, "K" refers to the CD drive in which you have placed the XP CD,
    replace that drive letter with the appropriate letter on your system, "K" is
    simply an example.

    Reboot, this time taking the immediate R option (this is the section I told
    you to skip above. In this case, you will need to get to the Recovery
    Console to perform the function below), and if the CD letter is say K: give
    these commands

    COPY K:\i386\ntldr C:
    COPY K:\i386\ntdetect.com C:
    (two other files needed - just in case)
    ATTRIB -H -R -S C:\boot.ini
    DEL C:\boot.ini
    BootCfg /Rebuild

    Once you've completed this function, reboot and see if you can access XP as
    sometimes, the problem is the damaged boot.ini. If you still cannot access
    XP, then reboot and re-run the repair install instructions at the beginning
    of this message.

    If you only have a recovery CD, your options are quite limited. You can
    either purchase a retail version of XP which will allow you to perform the
    above
    among other tools and options it has or you can run your system recovery
    routine with the Recovery CD which will likely wipe your drive, deleting all
    files but will restore your setup to factory fresh condition.

    --
    Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    Windows Shell/User

    "G" <ghamby@dillanddill.com> wrote in message
    > Can anyone tell me how to boot an XP machine from a CD? I
    > have an XP machine that displays the message "run.dll
    > missing". I'm assuming I'll have to boot from the
    > original installation CD to reinstall XP or at least some
    > of the XP components. Any suggestions?
    >
    > Thanks,

    run.dll is not a Windows XP system file. It is commonly is associated with
    viruses or spyware. Do you have a Norton Antivirus or Norton Systemworks
    cd? You can boot the computer with one of those and run a virus scan and
    perhaps some of the repair tools that way.

    "G" <ghamby@dillanddill.com> wrote in message
    > Can anyone tell me how to boot an XP machine from a CD? I
    > have an XP machine that displays the message "run.dll
    > missing". I'm assuming I'll have to boot from the
    > original installation CD to reinstall XP or at least some
    > of the XP components. Any suggestions?
    >
    > Thanks,

    Just to add, Colin is correct. I offered up the repair install as means of
    correcting the associations as well as to get you back in your system. I
    should have added to my own post in this thread that once the repair install
    is complete you should make sure your antivirus software is up to date and
    run a virus scan and also check for any malware on your system, download,
    run and install, Ad Aware, www.lavasoftusa.com.

    --

    "Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst@msn.com> wrote in message
    > run.dll is not a Windows XP system file. It is commonly is associated
    > with viruses or spyware. Do you have a Norton Antivirus or Norton
    > Systemworks cd? You can boot the computer with one of those and run a
    > virus scan and perhaps some of the repair tools that way.
    >
    > "G" <ghamby@dillanddill.com> wrote in message
    >> Can anyone tell me how to boot an XP machine from a CD? I
    >> have an XP machine that displays the message "run.dll
    >> missing". I'm assuming I'll have to boot from the
    >> original installation CD to reinstall XP or at least some
    >> of the XP components. Any suggestions?
    >>
    >> Thanks,

    "G" <ghamby@dillanddill.com> wrote in message
    > Can anyone tell me how to boot an XP machine from a CD? I
    > have an XP machine that displays the message "run.dll
    > missing". I'm assuming I'll have to boot from the
    > original installation CD to reinstall XP or at least some
    > of the XP components. Any suggestions?
    >
    > Thanks,

    Reinstalling XP probably won't help. You should identify the file being
    referenced - the exact name - and fix that problem. For example, "Run.dll"
    may have been removed by an antivirus program, which left its startup or
    registry reference behind. A reinstall will not affect this kind of
    problem.

    When you see the error message, make careful note of the exact file name.
    MSCONFIG.EXE can show you what is loading at startup, and you can use this
    to identify the culprit.

    Running applications like AdAware, Spybot and HijackThis can be of great
    help, though HiJackThis has more of a learning curve.

    HTH
    -pk

    G wrote:
    > Can anyone tell me how to boot an XP machine from a CD? I
    > have an XP machine that displays the message "run.dll
    > missing". I'm assuming I'll have to boot from the
    > original installation CD to reinstall XP or at least some
    > of the XP components. Any suggestions?
    >
    > Thanks,

    Yes. RTFM that came with the computer/motherboard and learn how to change
    the boot order in the BIOS.
    lose his marbles?

    If you can't be helpful---don't post.

    "Miss Perspicacia Tick" wrote:

    > G wrote:
    > > Can anyone tell me how to boot an XP machine from a CD? I
    > > have an XP machine that displays the message "run.dll
    > > missing". I'm assuming I'll have to boot from the
    > > original installation CD to reinstall XP or at least some
    > > of the XP components. Any suggestions?
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    >

    > Yes. RTFM that came with the computer/motherboard and learn how to change
    > the boot order in the BIOS.
    > --
    > My great-grandfather was born and raised in Elgin - did he eventually
    > lose his marbles?

    If I may be so bold, download, install, update and run Ad Aware.

    JAX

    "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP Windows Shell/User)" <user@#notme.com> wrote in
    message news:eVVn1GPpEHA.3196@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
    > Just to add, Colin is correct. I offered up the repair install as means
    > of correcting the associations as well as to get you back in your system.
    > I should have added to my own post in this thread that once the repair
    > install is complete you should make sure your antivirus software is up to
    > date and run a virus scan and also check for any malware on your system,
    > download, run and install, Ad Aware, www.lavasoftusa.com.
    >
    > --
    > Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    > Windows Shell/User
    > Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
    > DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
    >
    > "Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst@msn.com> wrote in message
    >> run.dll is not a Windows XP system file. It is commonly is associated
    >> with viruses or spyware. Do you have a Norton Antivirus or Norton
    >> Systemworks cd? You can boot the computer with one of those and run a
    >> virus scan and perhaps some of the repair tools that way.
    >>
    >> "G" <ghamby@dillanddill.com> wrote in message
    >>> Can anyone tell me how to boot an XP machine from a CD? I
    >>> have an XP machine that displays the message "run.dll
    >>> missing". I'm assuming I'll have to boot from the
    >>> original installation CD to reinstall XP or at least some
    >>> of the XP components. Any suggestions?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks,

    Back under your rock "Miss PT"

    JAX

    >G wrote:
    >> Can anyone tell me how to boot an XP machine from a CD? I
    >> have an XP machine that displays the message "run.dll
    >> missing". I'm assuming I'll have to boot from the
    >> original installation CD to reinstall XP or at least some
    >> of the XP components. Any suggestions?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >

    > Yes. RTFM that came with the computer/motherboard and learn how to change
    > the boot order in the BIOS.
    > --
    > My great-grandfather was born and raised in Elgin - did he eventually
    > lose his marbles?

    You are always welcome to be so bold, Jax.:-)

    However, I did give precisely that advice in the last line of my post.

    --

    "JAX" <slipslide@pop.not> wrote in message
    > If I may be so bold, download, install, update and run Ad Aware.
    >
    > JAX
    >
    > "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP Windows Shell/User)" <user@#notme.com> wrote in
    > message news:eVVn1GPpEHA.3196@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
    >> Just to add, Colin is correct. I offered up the repair install as means
    >> of correcting the associations as well as to get you back in your system.
    >> I should have added to my own post in this thread that once the repair
    >> install is complete you should make sure your antivirus software is up to
    >> date and run a virus scan and also check for any malware on your system,
    >> download, run and install, Ad Aware, www.lavasoftusa.com.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    >> Windows Shell/User
    >> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
    >> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
    >>
    >> "Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst@msn.com> wrote in message
    >>> run.dll is not a Windows XP system file. It is commonly is associated
    >>> with viruses or spyware. Do you have a Norton Antivirus or Norton
    >>> Systemworks cd? You can boot the computer with one of those and run a
    >>> virus scan and perhaps some of the repair tools that way.
    >>>
    >>> "G" <ghamby@dillanddill.com> wrote in message

    Not to be picky, but you didn't mention update.

    message news:OBRJBwYpEHA.3712@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
    > You are always welcome to be so bold, Jax.:-)
    >
    > However, I did give precisely that advice in the last line of my post.
    >
    > --
    > Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    > Windows Shell/User
    > Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
    > DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
    >
    > "JAX" <slipslide@pop.not> wrote in message
    >> If I may be so bold, download, install, update and run Ad Aware.
    >>
    >> JAX
    >>
    >> "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP Windows Shell/User)" <user@#notme.com> wrote in
    >> message news:eVVn1GPpEHA.3196@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
    >>> Just to add, Colin is correct. I offered up the repair install as means
    >>> of correcting the associations as well as to get you back in your
    >>> system. I should have added to my own post in this thread that once the
    >>> repair install is complete you should make sure your antivirus software
    >>> is up to date and run a virus scan and also check for any malware on
    >>> your system, download, run and install, Ad Aware, www.lavasoftusa.com.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    >>> Windows Shell/User
    >>> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
    >>> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
    >>>
    >>> "Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst@msn.com> wrote in message

    Uh, hmm, Humbly, you are quite correct and it was absolutely proper of you
    to suggest they "update" it.<VBG>

    --

    > Not to be picky, but you didn't mention update.
    >
    > JAX
    >
    > "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP Windows Shell/User)" <user@#notme.com> wrote in
    > message news:OBRJBwYpEHA.3712@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
    >> You are always welcome to be so bold, Jax.:-)
    >>
    >> However, I did give precisely that advice in the last line of my post.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    >> Windows Shell/User
    >> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
    >> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
    >>
    >> "JAX" <slipslide@pop.not> wrote in message
    >>> If I may be so bold, download, install, update and run Ad Aware.
    >>>
    >>> JAX
    >>>
    >>> "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP Windows Shell/User)" <user@#notme.com> wrote in
    >>> message news:eVVn1GPpEHA.3196@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...

Boot CD-Rom Windows XP