The Logitech Z-5500 Connection

BudgetGamer2006

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2006
Hey guys, i'm new to using these forums but have been visiting Toms for years and years now.

I was hoping to enlist the experience you all here. :)

I'm currently looking to buy some logitech z-5500 speakers, but am at a crossroads afa how to connect the devils. I currently only have a Soundblaster Live! 24-bit sound card which i am using instead of onboard audio. I also have a rather primative onboard codec on my Asus A7V8X-X mobo, which has Sp/dif out (coax i think?).

So my question is...what would be the superior way to connect the speakers out of these 2 options? Can i hook the speakers up with the sp/dif? Would that pass a digital signal to the pod's encoder? Or should I stick with the connections provided by the SB Live! 24-bit (analog connections?).

Thanks for reading that all if you have made it here, hehe

ellover009

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2006
Save yourself a lot of trouble take the sound card out, the hit it with a hammer. Hard part outta the way, you can find an audigy 2zs for around $40-50 on sale or used, and a x-fi music for $80 on sale. it's half of 2006 there should not be any excuses to own a sound blaster live. Good luck

-Dctrprks-

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
Yes if you repent imediatly we'll pretend that you didn't say that you owned a sb live..............Thank you very much

BudgetGamer2006

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2006
So aside from that.. should i use my onboard then and pass a digital signal from the sp/dif to the pod?

If i got a x-fi board, what sort of connection would i get? Digital out?

Thanks.

AC3STAR

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2003
I'm not sure about all the connections on your Live card but if you have a digital out on the card you can use a mono 3.5mm to RCA (spdif) adapter to pass the signal to the box (cheap $2 part at Radio Shack). But you will probably be fine too with using the onboard sound to pass the digital signal, the control pod does a very good job if you just pass the digital signal to it either way.

X-Fi boards have many different digital out connections depending on what version you get. The lowest most definitely has a digital out but it will probably be in 3.5mm (headphone jack) flavour. Other higher end versions have SPDIF and optical plus a good number of different inputs.

TH

BudgetGamer2006

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2006
Ok, i've picked up the 5500s, and the verdict is they kick some serious phanny!

At the moment i'm using the Digital Coax connection from my mobo (Asus A7V8X-X) to the pod, which im hoping is upmixing the sounds for me.

One problem however is that I get the odd crackle when listening to mp3s (128 kbps quality), I checked the company who developed the codec and they said to disable bass boost, I did, crackling still remains.

Is this static from the mobo cause it's onboard? Is it jus tthe mp3s? The Speakers? (i doubt this one).

Would i be better off using a soundblaster card for a digital passthrough rather than the onboard, and in doing so would I still get EAX effects when playing games, even though im passing it through??

Thanks a bunch guys. :)

-BG