Core 2 Duo or Intel D 950?

illuminatirex

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2006
Hi, i was wondering which would be beter a core 2 dou with 2.13 Ghz or a pentium D 950 (@3.4GHz) they will be at the same price, and i was planing to buy a cpu for about that price, from the reviews(preview benchmarks) i would say its teh core 2 duo, but how will the cpu handle games which do not use teh dualcore will the game on a 2.13 run like it would on a single core lets say 2.7Ghz or so (because of its new architecture)? will that cpu be a worth geting cpu ( the core 2 duo 2.13)
Im not planing any oc 'ing for atleast a year or so if get that one.

Thx for any replies.

illuminatirex

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2006
wow, thx lol thats what i was looking for a nice chart with benchmarks :)
thank you fo rthe link, 2 bad its in french but no bigie ill use babelfish to translate the french text inbetween the benched data images:)

thx again

illuminatirex

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2006
:D and to think i was worried that teh 2.13 will be a slow cpu that will be outdated , and wouldnt last that 3/4 years that i would like to have it in the newly build pc

YO_KID37

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
:D and to think i was worried that teh 2.13 will be a slow cpu that will be outdated , and wouldnt last that 3/4 years that i would like to have it in the newly build pc
Get a E6600 IT's a 4Meg L2 and its at 2.4Ghz thats about compareable to a PDX965 the and the 6700-X6800 2.6-3.2Ghz are 20-35%(benchmarks that are floating around) better than what you can get at the same speculative prices now in both AMD and Intel brands sadly . :(

illuminatirex

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2006
I was thinking abou that one as well, the 2x bigger catch is tempting, and that 0.3 ghz increase as well, just the fact that it cost that $100 or so does "scare me off" a bit considering that ill be building a new system using just couple old parts like the case, 2 hd's (ide) 2 optical drives, the thermaltake Purepower 480W psu, and the monitor, i was thinking about geting the ati's 1900xt (or maby even waiting for the dx10 series cards) inthe range to max$400 mobo around 220 or so ram around 180/200 and teh cpu that 220/230

But considering that im still usin ga p4 1.7 cpu , 512ddr ram , anda ati allin wonder 7500 gpu this build will be a quite big step up forme :wink:

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
Hi, i was wondering which would be beter a core 2 dou with 2.13 Ghz or a pentium D 950 (@3.4GHz) they will be at the same price, and i was planing to buy a cpu for about that price, from the reviews(preview benchmarks) i would say its teh core 2 duo, but how will the cpu handle games which do not use teh dualcore will the game on a 2.13 run like it would on a single core lets say 2.7Ghz or so (because of its new architecture)? will that cpu be a worth geting cpu ( the core 2 duo 2.13)

Thx for any replies.

Core 2 Duo will exceed anything P4.

http://www.hardware.fr/articles/623-12/intel-core-2-duo-dossier.html

http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=1118549#1118549

This is what I meant by devaluing the CPU. How can those two chips EVER cost the same?
Damn you Intel. can you smell the billions burning?

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005

Thx for any replies.

Core 2 Duo will exceed anything P4.

http://www.hardware.fr/articles/623-12/intel-core-2-duo-dossier.html

http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=1118549#1118549

This is what I meant by devaluing the CPU. How can those two chips EVER cost the same?
Damn you Intel. can you smell the billions burning?

Of course it devalues the chip --- it also devalues the Athlon line, it's a superior product. This is how it goes.... AMD will do the same when K8L comes out.... this is not rocket science.

You don't have to explain your statement in this regard you simply are stating the very obvious. Intel will drop prices on current inventory to flush out old stock. There is nothing wrong with this, every manufacturer of any goods will do this when new and better products come to market.

I mean, wrap your mind around the results from the data above:

e6300quick7bj.jpg

No wonder there are rumors floating around of a depressed Q2 for both companies.

All of that is great but when has a better chip actually come out for LESS than the previous one? Usually the older chips drop in price and the newer one replaces it at the same price point.

Now how can they ever raise their own prices to make a little more money? All that can be done at this point is to take a bath until the next core. I mean hey can raise the cockspeen and charge more for everything above XE but that means ASP of crap. Even Woodcrest is undervalued.

Damn you Intel.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
All of that is great but when has a better chip actually come out for LESS than the previous one? Usually the older chips drop in price and the newer one replaces it at the same price point.

Now how can they ever raise their own prices to make a little more money? All that can be done at this point is to take a bath until the next core. I mean hey can raise the cockspeen and charge more for everything above XE but that means ASP of crap. Even Woodcrest is undervalued.

Damn you Intel.

Well not exactly, it cost Intel about 30-40% (I am estimating here) less per chip to produce a core 2 than it does AMD to produce an X2. So their cost model can support lower ASPs. Second, Intel frankly has stated they want the 5% marketshare back, this is one way to do it.

AMD will have troubles. This is likely why you are damning Intel :)

You also mispelled clockspeed, you may want to change that. :)

Jack

Misspelled denotes not knowing how to spell it. Rather this was a typo. But Intel is the company that has 5 competing families at the same price point. AMD can easily differentiate their products, Intel cannot.

Sure both companies will ose a little because of the price drop but AMD is in a better position.

Again both companies and this board could be swallowed up by an earthquake and I wouldnt care. It was a dumb move on Intel's part. PERIOD.

AMD discontiued 939 because of this and it will save them millions. Intel is firing people though.

illuminatirex

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2006
to be honest i look at it his way the beter the product, and the less expensive it is the beter it is for the consumer :D ...and to think that couple months ago i was opting to get teh Intel's 641 series cpu and now i will probably get the Core 2 Duo 2.13 or eve the 2.4 version ( but still considering teh later one)

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
Sure both companies will ose a little because of the price drop but AMD is in a better position.

Again both companies and this board could be swallowed up by an earthquake and I wouldnt care. It was a dumb move on Intel's part. PERIOD.

AMD discontiued 939 because of this and it will save them millions. Intel is firing people though.

Fair enough, I typo a lot too...

So I don't understand, it was dumb for Intel to come up with a new product? In terms of similar price points, did AMD not just do that with 939 and AM2? You make little sense....

.... Ahhh, yes I see your last sentence ... AMD discontinued the 939 and Intel is going to continue making P4s (of course I am assuming you are implying this), I see your logic thanks for explaning, however wrong it may be....

So why did AMD not just stop selling 939's on AM2 launch day? Why are they still selling them? Why even keep shipping them to the end of the year?

No they could have staggered the intro to allow Core to take up the slack somewhat. All it needed was a mobo. By bringing in a chip so much better than their own and having them exist at the same price point is DUMB. AMD knows they need to cut corners after the prices for Core 2 were released.

Watch what happens. I'm not all knowing but I know this industry.