Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Physix accelerator card: good or bad?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
June 25, 2006 6:13:14 PM

Just got the ASUS 128MB PPU and was wondering if its worth the money, i read the review about the PPU and G.R.A.W. and it turned out to be good and bad. I hope to play UT2007 when it comes out, and plenty more games that support PPUs, so is it worth it?
June 25, 2006 6:15:55 PM

Quote:
Just got the ASUS 128MB PPU and was wondering if its worth the money, i read the review about the PPU and G.R.A.W. and it turned out to be good and bad. I hope to play UT2007 when it comes out, and plenty more games that support PPUs, so is it worth it?




not worth it "yet" in my opinion


but ATI is working with Havoc to make there own physics chip thingy
June 25, 2006 6:19:26 PM

alirght ill probably RMA it or just it test it to see if it works, then put it back in its box and save it for later ;D
Related resources
June 25, 2006 6:20:28 PM

Quote:
alirght ill probably RMA it or just it test it to see if it works, then put it back in its box and save it for later ;D



or that

:wink:
June 25, 2006 6:28:43 PM

Physics accelerator = pointless

nVidia and ATI are working on physics on their GPUs.
a b U Graphics card
June 25, 2006 6:39:08 PM

First answer, test it see what you think and then send it back regardless.

The reason, there's little/no support now, and by the time there is support (months from now), it'll be cheaper, and maybe available in PCIe, or maybe better competing solutions.

Now while I'm a detractor of Ageia, I won't say anything is better yet, but what definitely is the case right now, is that there is no NEED for one from any company (be it PPU or VPU physics), once they have it better integrated into games then start shoping for the best solution out there at that time, until then it's just some more hardware to consumer power and generate heat in your system.
June 25, 2006 6:54:44 PM

you should wait a while till they actually show the things before you jump the gun. They might really really suck balls, the on-graphics solutions. From the little that I've read so far, the Nvidia one will only be visual physics, there won't be any fancy collisions and you won't be able to interact with the objects. I don't have a clue about the ATI solution but I'm gonna keep a look out for it.

Me, I'd wait until a few more games come out for the PPU before I bought one, but who knows, they might just come out with folding@home on the ppu, now that would rock. You may want to see if you can send it back and just save the money for later, to see if it actually is worth it.
a b U Graphics card
June 25, 2006 8:02:22 PM

Quote:
you should wait a while till they actually show the things before you jump the gun. They might really really suck balls, the on-graphics solutions. From the little that I've read so far, the Nvidia one will only be visual physics, there won't be any fancy collisions and you won't be able to interact with the objects. I don't have a clue about the ATI solution but I'm gonna keep a look out for it.


Who cares? 99% of the physics that's a problem is the visual collision, not the interactive dependant physics, which wouldn't be a load for a CPU freed from the shiny VPU-capable physics. Really it's not and advantage, and for all the talk about it, it sounds like M$ may open up the option for interactrive phsyics for the VPUs.

Quote:
Me, I'd wait until a few more games come out for the PPU before I bought one, but who knows, they might just come out with folding@home on the ppu, now that would rock.


They've already got it in beta for VPUs so once again no advantage. Either way wait for support.

Quote:
You may want to see if you can send it back and just save the money for later, to see if it actually is worth it.


That sounds like a wise idea, and also very familiar.
June 25, 2006 8:24:50 PM

well grapeape, if PPUs came as PCI-e, i wouldnt have room, being that both are filled with 2 7900GTXs, but it would be a great idea, ive tested the PPU, and everything is in working order, if ur gonna keep it, dl the new drivers like i did from ASUS site. now i have to buy G.R.A.W. and see how its like, either way, im RMAing this. thanks. :D 
June 26, 2006 1:02:16 PM

I see the huge potential of a PPU, but I'm not getting one until there is a game I just gotta have. There are at least 60 games under development for the card but we have no idea the level of talent and how well the coders will make use of the card. GRAW made a weak effort of using it. Obviously Crytek can do without, but so far nobody can compete with them. Although FEAR has good AI, their physics is limited to moving stuff on shelves that make noise and alert enemies, and rolling soda cans. Most of it is scripted and almost none of it does anything to enhance game play.

But as mentioned, if you already have it and could afford it, why not try it and decide for yourself? You're asking strangers on the Internet? Some have hated the the card the second it was announced. Others are nvidia or ATI fanboys and have their own little agenda at seeing a rival trip up. If it didn't put you into debt now, just leave it in your system and games will arrive for it. Just keep in mind that the card does nothing by itself, just like Havoc or the upcoming solutions by the card vendors. If the game developers don't code a lot of physics into their games, none of the solutions will do a damn thing.
June 26, 2006 1:08:40 PM

Quote:
But as mentioned, if you already have it and could afford it, why not try it and decide for yourself? You're asking strangers on the Internet? Some have hated the the card the second it was announced. Others are nvidia or ATI fanboys and have their own little agenda at seeing a rival trip up. If it didn't put you into debt now, just leave it in your system and games will arrive for it.



agree
a b U Graphics card
June 26, 2006 5:42:19 PM

Quote:

But as mentioned, if you already have it and could afford it, why not try it and decide for yourself? You're asking strangers on the Internet? Some have hated the the card the second it was announced. Others are nvidia or ATI fanboys and have their own little agenda at seeing a rival trip up.


I do not hide the fact that I am not a fan of Ageia and find the implementation pointless, but I also said give it a run and then return it. Regalrdess of your budget, it's a waste of space if you don't play GRAW it's just an added heat source in your PC.

Keeping it seems pointless at this stage even if you've got money to burn, and surprisingly enough I'm not the only one who thinks that as almost every reviewer comes to the same conclusion, take Xbit for example which almost perfectly matches what I've said from day 1;

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/ageia-ph...

However, since there are almost no games supporting PhysX out there, it doesn’t make much sense to invest money into a card based on this new processor, such as ASUS PhysX P1. For extra $299 you will get a chance to play Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter with a slightly higher level of realism in the game. The performance improvement in GRAW is not worth this money from our standpoint.


Quote:
If it didn't put you into debt now, just leave it in your system and games will arrive for it.


Except by the time the games arrive it'll cost half as much as it does now.

Quote:
Just keep in mind that the card does nothing by itself, just like Havoc or the upcoming solutions by the card vendors. If the game developers don't code a lot of physics into their games, none of the solutions will do a damn thing.


which is the reason why PPUs need a killer app more than anything else, VPUs already have a role, the PPU is pretty useless sofar, and the future doesn't look birght when M$ is behind VPU physics, and so is the largest phsyics engine vendor out here. Ageia is going to have a tough time with that and right now, it doesn't make sense to keep it, it does make sense to play around with it before returning it; but people selling PPUs for $250-300 are the only people making money, and right now he has the chance to RMA it, essentially selling it back to them, which makes the most sense at this stage of the game.
a b U Graphics card
June 26, 2006 5:53:29 PM

Quote:
well grapeape, if PPUs came as PCI-e, i wouldnt have room, being that both are filled with 2 7900GTXs,


Yeah and that's the thing it's interesting how much space we hve for legacy junk, but they don't add a few more 'accessible' slots, but I guess for the number of PCIe1X card out there to begin with having more than 1 seems like too many. :|
June 26, 2006 6:14:09 PM

Fegardless of fanboyism and my personal hopes for in game-physics, you have to judge every upgrade based on your personal gain vs. the investment.

If you didn't already have two 7900 GTs, it'd be hard to consider the physX a good buy at all because you'd see so much more milage from a video card upgrade.

As it stands, your video card setup is top-tier. So all you have to compare is money spent vs advantage gained. If it's worth $300 to you to have a few extra effects in a small handful of titles, and being first kid on the block when other titles are released (assuming aegeia has enough momentum to stave off ATI/Nvidia/Havoc for a while), then more power to you.

If not, return the thing.
June 27, 2006 12:45:58 AM

ya im already in the process of RMAing the thing, i just tryed out G.R.A.W. today(friend let me borrow it) didnt have much of a difference to tell you the truth, gameplay was great, but physix card wasnt much of a jump. i tryed the game with and without the physix card, physix card was slightly better, only slightly though. Im gonna RMA it and maybe MAYBE buy it again in the future, or wait for Havoc idk yet.
June 27, 2006 1:55:49 AM

Quote:
ya im already in the process of RMAing the thing, i just tryed out G.R.A.W. today(friend let me borrow it) didnt have much of a difference to tell you the truth, gameplay was great, but physix card wasnt much of a jump. i tryed the game with and without the physix card, physix card was slightly better, only slightly though. Im gonna RMA it and maybe MAYBE buy it again in the future, or wait for Havoc idk yet.



u can see the havoc thingy with ATI here

http://firingsquad.com/media/video/play.asp/computex_20...

pretty good video u should check it out
June 27, 2006 4:30:27 AM

My 2cents

At the moment PPUs are pretty useless. Aegia really over hyped GRAW to their disadvantage because GRAW did not really put the PPU to good use, I mean splinters and sparks (pure eye candy).

Also there is also the the problem with multiplayer; to be specific those who have it and those who don't (see toms article http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/06/19/can_ageia/)

Until Aegia does womething like Direct X i.e. Hardware abstraction layer, where those wont don't have the PPU can still "see" software physics, then multiplayer will still be a problem.
Obviously if DX jumps to a DX physics solution then I think NVid and ATi have the advantage as they have closer ties with M$.

Overall I am disappointed with Ageia and GRAW
!