Long running graphics card issue

rh1303

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2006
Greetings, I thought I'd post here to try and grab a few ideas for a problem that has been baffling me for quite a while. The long and short of it is that the graphics card (x800 pro) randomly resets in 3D games, causing the system to hang. 99% of the time VPU recover fails and the screens (dual monitors are hooked up) are filled with garbage requiring a hard reset. Generally I could get a few hours of gaming done before this happened, but I recently was messing around with the CoV trial and the problem occurs on average every 15 minutes (and often this occurs when I 'interact' with the game, such as click on a door or a control slider or something).

When I speak of garbage filling the screen I mean coloured lines and dots in a vague checkerboard pattern. Doing printscreen and examining the output reveals a normal screen, though I'm not sure precisely what this means.

The system is currently an AMD 4400+ with 1GB of Corsair RAM and a Gigabyte K8NS-Ultra 939. However, this card was in a P4 2.26ghz with 512MB KingMax RAM and an Asus P4S-533 and here I noticed games randomly reset the computer (as opposed to hanging it on the new one).

Logically I deduced the card is defective, but I got my hands on an old Radeon 9600 pro today, and this card also crashes to my bafflement. VPU recover has actually suceeded multiple times with this card, but always eventually fails, and the problem doesn't seem to come up as frequently as with the x800.

The P4 system had a Chieftec ~300W PSU and the AMD box has a new Enermax ~400W PSU. Both run Windows 2000 professional, but I don't believe this is the problem because the P4 box now has a Geforce 4 Ti in it, which runs CoV happily (albeit a tad slowly) for hours on end.

The AMD system managed over 5 weeks of uptime when I went to another country for a while. When I got back and loaded a game, it crashed within the hour.

Drivers used are anything from 5.10 to 6.3. There's been at least 2 reformats since I got this card. If anyone can throw any ideas at all this way, I'll be very grateful.

melarcky

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006
it actually might be the PSU i have a 300W psu and when i play NFS most wanted the game would get choppy i mean really choppy and thenthe pc would just restart, i later learned it was due to the fan( it stopped working) i just opened th box open put in my extra fan and taped the wires together a VOLA its ok soo make sure that the PSU is all up to check