External HDD guru question

Last response: in Video Games
September 15, 2005 5:08:45 AM

I've been considering an external hard drive for backing up data for some
time now but have been holding off until I understand a few things more
about them.
Please help me by considering the external hard drive issue only, as I know
some of you might have alternate suggestions, but for me and the way I do
things, the external seems to be the way I'll be going. Thanks.
What I need to know are the answers to the following questions please.
1. I'll be getting a Maxtor 120gig external USB 2.0 drive. I understand that
XP has the drivers I'll need to plug and play this and assign it a drive
letter. I have an open USB port to use. Will having the drive hooked up slow
the system any?
2. One of the things I'd like to do with this drive is to simply copy my
whole FS9 folder...as it is...add on's and all....over to this external
drive. If I do this, and have to reinstall XP for any reason, do I have to
reinstall the simulator normally (in other words, does FS9 need to install
things into the registry) or can I simply copy the entire simulator folder
back onto the C drive and have it work normally again?
3. Assuming FS9 DOES need to install things into the registry, would the
procedure then be to install the sim normally, THEN copy the FS9 folder from
the external over to the new FS9 folder letting the copied folder overwrite
the newly installed FS9?

I think this is it. I don't want to ghost anything, and I want to keep
things as absolutely simple and easy as possible if I do this.
Many thanks for your input on this. I know some of you will have a "better
way" to do this, but if you think this plan will work, I'm just about ready
to get the external Maxtor. BTW, am I right in thinking the 2.0 USB will be
about 80megs/sec faster than my firewire port?
Take a few seconds if you have the time and read my post over carefully
please. I'll probably go on what I get back in answers on this :-)))
Dudley
Anonymous
September 15, 2005 5:08:46 AM

>1. I'll be getting a Maxtor 120gig external USB 2.0 drive. I understand that
>XP has the drivers I'll need to plug and play this and assign it a drive
>letter. I have an open USB port to use. Will having the drive hooked up slow
>the system any?

No, just make sure your computer port is also USB 2 of course

>2. One of the things I'd like to do with this drive is to simply copy my
>whole FS9 folder...as it is...add on's and all....over to this external
>drive. If I do this, and have to reinstall XP for any reason, do I have to
>reinstall the simulator normally (in other words, does FS9 need to install
>things into the registry) or can I simply copy the entire simulator folder
>back onto the C drive and have it work normally again?

No, FS enters some keys in the registry, best bet is to install FS
then copy over you saved folder (don't forget to copy files in the My
Documents\Flight Simulator Files folder and a copy of specific
settings in you entered in the fs9.cfg file)

>3. Assuming FS9 DOES need to install things into the registry, would the
>procedure then be to install the sim normally, THEN copy the FS9 folder from
>the external over to the new FS9 folder letting the copied folder overwrite
>the newly installed FS9?

Should work fine, no problem with this way of doing things ;-)

===
All the best!
Katy Pluta
Anonymous
September 15, 2005 7:55:35 AM

Thanks again KT :-) I keep forgetting you're over here as well :-)
"Katy Pluta" <katypluta@hotmail.invalid> wrote in message
> >1. I'll be getting a Maxtor 120gig external USB 2.0 drive. I understand
> >that
>>XP has the drivers I'll need to plug and play this and assign it a drive
>>letter. I have an open USB port to use. Will having the drive hooked up
>>slow
>>the system any?
>
> No, just make sure your computer port is also USB 2 of course
>
>>2. One of the things I'd like to do with this drive is to simply copy my
>>whole FS9 folder...as it is...add on's and all....over to this external
>>drive. If I do this, and have to reinstall XP for any reason, do I have to
>>reinstall the simulator normally (in other words, does FS9 need to install
>>things into the registry) or can I simply copy the entire simulator folder
>>back onto the C drive and have it work normally again?
>
> No, FS enters some keys in the registry, best bet is to install FS
> then copy over you saved folder (don't forget to copy files in the My
> Documents\Flight Simulator Files folder and a copy of specific
> settings in you entered in the fs9.cfg file)
>
>>3. Assuming FS9 DOES need to install things into the registry, would the
>>procedure then be to install the sim normally, THEN copy the FS9 folder
>>from
>>the external over to the new FS9 folder letting the copied folder
>>overwrite
>>the newly installed FS9?
>
> Should work fine, no problem with this way of doing things ;-)
>
> ===
> All the best!
> Katy Pluta
September 15, 2005 2:28:55 PM

>Thanks again KT :-) I keep forgetting you're over here as well :-)

To answer your question:

You're welcome :-)

>Did you get together with Stephen? In my rush yesterday I forgot whether or
>not I CC'd you when I dropped him a note.

Yes I was copied on, thank you. He did not get back to me yet, I guess
he is very very busy

===
All the best!
Katy Pluta
Anonymous
September 15, 2005 6:57:17 PM

> BTW, am I right in thinking the 2.0 USB will be
> about 80megs/sec faster than my firewire port?

Hi Dudley...

The above sentence is not strictly true.

On the face of the specs of USB2 and firewire the USB2 does have a max
transfer rate of 480 MBits/s whereas the firewire has a max of 400
MBits/s.

However, the main difference is that the figure for the firewire
connection is a maximum SUSTAINED figure whereas the USB2 is maximum
PEAK speed (it probably averages a lot lower than firewire for large
transfers). Therefore, for a external HD I'd go for a firewire based
enclosure.

As an example, most DV camcorders transfer content via firewire due to
the reason above. USB2 transfer would actually be considerably slower
for a large amount of data.

BTW I assume the 80megs/sec quote was a typo and you didn't mean 80
MB/s instead of MBits/s?! :o )

Cheers...

Andy Robinson
Anonymous
September 15, 2005 6:57:18 PM

Hi Andy;

Yes, it was a typo :-)
Many thanks for the reply. I think the new unit has both a USB and a FW
capability. I'll try the FW as you suggested.
"Andy Robinson" <andy_miranda@pacific.net.au> wrote in message
>> BTW, am I right in thinking the 2.0 USB will be about 80megs/sec faster
>> than my firewire port?
>
> Hi Dudley...
>
> The above sentence is not strictly true.
>
> On the face of the specs of USB2 and firewire the USB2 does have a max
> transfer rate of 480 MBits/s whereas the firewire has a max of 400
> MBits/s.
>
> However, the main difference is that the figure for the firewire
> connection is a maximum SUSTAINED figure whereas the USB2 is maximum PEAK
> speed (it probably averages a lot lower than firewire for large
> transfers). Therefore, for a external HD I'd go for a firewire based
> enclosure.
>
> As an example, most DV camcorders transfer content via firewire due to the
> reason above. USB2 transfer would actually be considerably slower for a
> large amount of data.
>
> BTW I assume the 80megs/sec quote was a typo and you didn't mean 80 MB/s
> instead of MBits/s?! :o )
>
> Cheers...
>
> Andy Robinson
Anonymous
September 15, 2005 10:18:55 PM

"Dudley Henriques" <dhenriques@noware .net> wrote in message
> 1. I'll be getting a Maxtor 120gig external USB 2.0 drive. I understand
that
> XP has the drivers I'll need to plug and play this and assign it a drive
> letter. I have an open USB port to use. Will having the drive hooked up
slow
> the system any?

I use one of them at work to carry any classified Secret data on. (Since I'm
not allowed it on my desktop PC.) It's a nice little toy. All plug and
play under XP, no drivers or anything. Doesn't slow the PC down, but I
don't think USB2 is as fast as an IDE cable. (But I could be wrong.)

Si
Anonymous
September 16, 2005 3:39:30 AM

Many thanks.