Should you let an ink cartridge run low as possible before..

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
April 10, 2005 6:22:22 PM

Should you let an ink cartridge run low as possible before changing?

For example, I have an Epson CX5200.
I'll get an error message saying one of the inks is low.
I normally run for several days (not a haveay user) until it refuses to
work without having a new cartirdge installed.
Only then do I change.

Is this the right thing to do?
Should I panic and change a cartridge as soon as a I get an error?

Thanks.

OM

More about : ink cartridge run low

April 10, 2005 9:03:57 PM

As long as you do not push it to far! The ink is used as a coolant for the
printheads.It is also easier in some cases to refill at a point before all
ink is used,if you refill!Many cartriges will say they are empty when you
have 10% or more of the ink left.It sounds like you are doing it as I would!
"OM" <om.newsgroup@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Should you let an ink cartridge run low as possible before changing?
>
> For example, I have an Epson CX5200.
> I'll get an error message saying one of the inks is low.
> I normally run for several days (not a haveay user) until it refuses to
> work without having a new cartirdge installed.
> Only then do I change.
>
> Is this the right thing to do?
> Should I panic and change a cartridge as soon as a I get an error?
>
> Thanks.
>

> OM

Anonymous
April 11, 2005 1:33:53 AM

"OM" <om.newsgroup@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Should you let an ink cartridge run low as possible before changing?
>
> For example, I have an Epson CX5200.
> I'll get an error message saying one of the inks is low.
> I normally run for several days (not a haveay user) until it refuses to
> work without having a new cartirdge installed.
> Only then do I change.
>
> Is this the right thing to do?
> Should I panic and change a cartridge as soon as a I get an error?
>
> Thanks.

Why bother changing it if its not empty? The warnings are just there to
remind you to get some new inks ready for when it does run out.

That said, if you have one ink that has run out and others at about 5%, its
worth changing the 5% ones at the same time as the empty one as the ink
purge of the new inks will probably make the 5% ones empty during the
process :)
April 11, 2005 3:06:55 AM

"OM" <om.newsgroup@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Should you let an ink cartridge run low as possible before changing?
>
> For example, I have an Epson CX5200.
> I'll get an error message saying one of the inks is low.
> I normally run for several days (not a haveay user) until it refuses to
> work without having a new cartirdge installed.
> Only then do I change.
>
> Is this the right thing to do?
> Should I panic and change a cartridge as soon as a I get an error?
>
> Thanks.
>

> OM

It's what I do with my S630.

--
Derek
Anonymous

> Why bother changing it if its not empty? The warnings are just there to
> remind you to get some new inks ready for when it does run out.

Except in one case. After one ink goes low, the Epson printers don't do
cleaning cycles. It's recommended not to leave it on the printer more than
three weeks (or 2-3 days when you use durabrite ink -not your case-).

--

Yianni
in@mailbox9.gr (áöáéñÝóôå ôïí áñéèìü åííéÜ áðü ôï email)

--
"Ivor Floppy" <Ivor@somewhere.uk> wrote in message

> "OM" <om.newsgroup@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > Should you let an ink cartridge run low as possible before changing?
> >
> > For example, I have an Epson CX5200.
> > I'll get an error message saying one of the inks is low.
> > I normally run for several days (not a haveay user) until it refuses to
> > work without having a new cartirdge installed.
> > Only then do I change.
> >
> > Is this the right thing to do?
> > Should I panic and change a cartridge as soon as a I get an error?
> >
> > Thanks.
> >

> Why bother changing it if its not empty? The warnings are just there to
> remind you to get some new inks ready for when it does run out.
>
> That said, if you have one ink that has run out and others at about 5%,
its
> worth changing the 5% ones at the same time as the empty one as the ink
> purge of the new inks will probably make the 5% ones empty during the
> process :)

Anonymous
April 12, 2005 3:53:22 PM

Yes, use the printer ink until the printer stops. The red flashing
light is just to warn you the cartridge is getting low and you need a
new one soon, so make sure you have one on hand.

If your remove it earlier, you are just tossing more ink away.

Art

OM wrote:
> Should you let an ink cartridge run low as possible before changing?
>
> For example, I have an Epson CX5200.
> I'll get an error message saying one of the inks is low.
> I normally run for several days (not a haveay user) until it refuses to
> work without having a new cartirdge installed.
> Only then do I change.
>
> Is this the right thing to do?
> Should I panic and change a cartridge as soon as a I get an error?
>
> Thanks.
>

> OM

Anonymous
April 12, 2005 3:57:59 PM

The ink is not a coolant for the heads for Epson printers. They use a
cool piezo actuation system that creates very little mechanical head and
almost none electrically. Thermal inkjet heads require the ink to cool
them (Canon, Lexmark, and HP)

Further, Epson is very conservative with the ink counting process. In
the case of their chipped cartridges, the printer shuts down while there
is between 1 and 3 Ml of ink in eh cartridge, depending on exact use.
That's nearly 20% of the full cartridge.

You are correct that allowing the ink to get used up, can be a problem
as a airlock or dried chambers can result. This doesn't happen with a
normal cartridge, because there is always several ml of ink left over.

Art

Douglas wrote:

> As long as you do not push it to far! The ink is used as a coolant for the
> printheads.It is also easier in some cases to refill at a point before all
> ink is used,if you refill!Many cartriges will say they are empty when you
> have 10% or more of the ink left.It sounds like you are doing it as I would!
> "OM" <om.newsgroup@gmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>Should you let an ink cartridge run low as possible before changing?
>>
>>For example, I have an Epson CX5200.
>>I'll get an error message saying one of the inks is low.
>>I normally run for several days (not a haveay user) until it refuses to
>>work without having a new cartirdge installed.
>>Only then do I change.
>>
>>Is this the right thing to do?
>>Should I panic and change a cartridge as soon as a I get an error?
>>
>>Thanks.
>>

>>OM

Anonymous
April 14, 2005 7:38:08 AM

"OM" <om.newsgroup@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Should you let an ink cartridge run low as possible before changing?
>
> For example, I have an Epson CX5200.
> I'll get an error message saying one of the inks is low.
> I normally run for several days (not a haveay user) until it refuses to
> work without having a new cartirdge installed.
> Only then do I change.
>
> Is this the right thing to do?
> Should I panic and change a cartridge as soon as a I get an error?
>
> Thanks.
>

> OM

Yep.
!