Should you let an ink cartridge run low as possible before..

Should you let an ink cartridge run low as possible before changing?

For example, I have an Epson CX5200.
I'll get an error message saying one of the inks is low.
I normally run for several days (not a haveay user) until it refuses to
work without having a new cartirdge installed.
Only then do I change.

Is this the right thing to do?
Should I panic and change a cartridge as soon as a I get an error?

Thanks.

OM
7 answers Last reply
More about should cartridge before

    As long as you do not push it to far! The ink is used as a coolant for the
    printheads.It is also easier in some cases to refill at a point before all
    ink is used,if you refill!Many cartriges will say they are empty when you
    have 10% or more of the ink left.It sounds like you are doing it as I would!
    "OM" <om.newsgroup@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > Should you let an ink cartridge run low as possible before changing?
    >
    > For example, I have an Epson CX5200.
    > I'll get an error message saying one of the inks is low.
    > I normally run for several days (not a haveay user) until it refuses to
    > work without having a new cartirdge installed.
    > Only then do I change.
    >
    > Is this the right thing to do?
    > Should I panic and change a cartridge as soon as a I get an error?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >

    > OM

    "OM" <om.newsgroup@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > Should you let an ink cartridge run low as possible before changing?
    >
    > For example, I have an Epson CX5200.
    > I'll get an error message saying one of the inks is low.
    > I normally run for several days (not a haveay user) until it refuses to
    > work without having a new cartirdge installed.
    > Only then do I change.
    >
    > Is this the right thing to do?
    > Should I panic and change a cartridge as soon as a I get an error?
    >
    > Thanks.

    Why bother changing it if its not empty? The warnings are just there to
    remind you to get some new inks ready for when it does run out.

    That said, if you have one ink that has run out and others at about 5%, its
    worth changing the 5% ones at the same time as the empty one as the ink
    purge of the new inks will probably make the 5% ones empty during the
    process :)

    "OM" <om.newsgroup@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > Should you let an ink cartridge run low as possible before changing?
    >
    > For example, I have an Epson CX5200.
    > I'll get an error message saying one of the inks is low.
    > I normally run for several days (not a haveay user) until it refuses to
    > work without having a new cartirdge installed.
    > Only then do I change.
    >
    > Is this the right thing to do?
    > Should I panic and change a cartridge as soon as a I get an error?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >

    > OM

    It's what I do with my S630.

    --
    Derek

    > Why bother changing it if its not empty? The warnings are just there to
    > remind you to get some new inks ready for when it does run out.

    Except in one case. After one ink goes low, the Epson printers don't do
    cleaning cycles. It's recommended not to leave it on the printer more than
    three weeks (or 2-3 days when you use durabrite ink -not your case-).

    --

    Yianni
    in@mailbox9.gr (áöáéñÝóôå ôïí áñéèìü åííéÜ áðü ôï email)

    --
    "Ivor Floppy" <Ivor@somewhere.uk> wrote in message

    > "OM" <om.newsgroup@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Should you let an ink cartridge run low as possible before changing?
    > >
    > > For example, I have an Epson CX5200.
    > > I'll get an error message saying one of the inks is low.
    > > I normally run for several days (not a haveay user) until it refuses to
    > > work without having a new cartirdge installed.
    > > Only then do I change.
    > >
    > > Is this the right thing to do?
    > > Should I panic and change a cartridge as soon as a I get an error?
    > >
    > > Thanks.
    > >

    > Why bother changing it if its not empty? The warnings are just there to
    > remind you to get some new inks ready for when it does run out.
    >
    > That said, if you have one ink that has run out and others at about 5%,
    its
    > worth changing the 5% ones at the same time as the empty one as the ink
    > purge of the new inks will probably make the 5% ones empty during the
    > process :)

    Yes, use the printer ink until the printer stops. The red flashing
    light is just to warn you the cartridge is getting low and you need a
    new one soon, so make sure you have one on hand.

    If your remove it earlier, you are just tossing more ink away.

    Art

    OM wrote:
    > Should you let an ink cartridge run low as possible before changing?
    >
    > For example, I have an Epson CX5200.
    > I'll get an error message saying one of the inks is low.
    > I normally run for several days (not a haveay user) until it refuses to
    > work without having a new cartirdge installed.
    > Only then do I change.
    >
    > Is this the right thing to do?
    > Should I panic and change a cartridge as soon as a I get an error?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >

    > OM

    The ink is not a coolant for the heads for Epson printers. They use a
    cool piezo actuation system that creates very little mechanical head and
    almost none electrically. Thermal inkjet heads require the ink to cool
    them (Canon, Lexmark, and HP)

    Further, Epson is very conservative with the ink counting process. In
    the case of their chipped cartridges, the printer shuts down while there
    is between 1 and 3 Ml of ink in eh cartridge, depending on exact use.
    That's nearly 20% of the full cartridge.

    You are correct that allowing the ink to get used up, can be a problem
    as a airlock or dried chambers can result. This doesn't happen with a
    normal cartridge, because there is always several ml of ink left over.

    Art

    Douglas wrote:

    > As long as you do not push it to far! The ink is used as a coolant for the
    > printheads.It is also easier in some cases to refill at a point before all
    > ink is used,if you refill!Many cartriges will say they are empty when you
    > have 10% or more of the ink left.It sounds like you are doing it as I would!
    > "OM" <om.newsgroup@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>Should you let an ink cartridge run low as possible before changing?
    >>
    >>For example, I have an Epson CX5200.
    >>I'll get an error message saying one of the inks is low.
    >>I normally run for several days (not a haveay user) until it refuses to
    >>work without having a new cartirdge installed.
    >>Only then do I change.
    >>
    >>Is this the right thing to do?
    >>Should I panic and change a cartridge as soon as a I get an error?
    >>
    >>Thanks.
    >>

    >>OM

    "OM" <om.newsgroup@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > Should you let an ink cartridge run low as possible before changing?
    >
    > For example, I have an Epson CX5200.
    > I'll get an error message saying one of the inks is low.
    > I normally run for several days (not a haveay user) until it refuses to
    > work without having a new cartirdge installed.
    > Only then do I change.
    >
    > Is this the right thing to do?
    > Should I panic and change a cartridge as soon as a I get an error?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >

    > OM

    Yep.

Printers Error Message Peripherals