FXO-FXS transparent VoIP for KSU extensions?

Last response: in Networking
May 1, 2005 8:44:19 PM

I have a couple of offices with KSUs (Nortel Norstar) which have some analog
extns on them..I want to remote these analog extns to distant remote offices
over our internal intranet (all fixed IP in the 10.xxx.xxx.xxx range). Is
there ANYONE who makes a simple FXO and FXS combo that can make it operate
transparently (NO extra dialed digits, etc!)? I want the remote user to be
able to pick up their phone and dial as if they were local to the KSU (extn
or access code, etc) and get audible feedback from the KSU (dialtone,
ringtone, etc).....AND if the extns are rung by a caller, the remote phone
rings without the caller having to overdial anything! (bascially I need a
VoIP connection that emulates a FXS-FXO analog connection...without the 2600
Hz SF :)
If anyone knows of such a box, please let me know......otherwise, whats the
best way to do it with what is out there now? Would I need to install a
signaling server at the KSUs and have the FXO and FXS modules talk to the
server (I would like to NOT use a server if possible but..........) using
SIP or H323 or ??????? I have dealt with VoIP before but only one the remote
end (installed Cisco 2400 series for a VoIP provider).....but this project
is a bit different....oh btw I will need 1-2 FXS at the remote ends and
preferably 4-6 FXOs at the KSU end to handle the remote sites..

Thanks!
Chris
Anonymous
May 2, 2005 7:13:44 AM

A pair of Sipura SPA-3000s should do the triick. Each unit has one FXO and
one FXS port.

I don't know anything about Norstar PBXs, but I have used these units with
Avaya Partner ACS PBXs in a similar configuration, and they work great.

Mike Schumann

"CWB" <cboone@nospam.earthlink.net> wrote in message
news:D H7de.31998$AE6.17191@tornado.texas.rr.com...
>I have a couple of offices with KSUs (Nortel Norstar) which have some
>analog extns on them..I want to remote these analog extns to distant remote
>offices over our internal intranet (all fixed IP in the 10.xxx.xxx.xxx
>range). Is there ANYONE who makes a simple FXO and FXS combo that can make
>it operate transparently (NO extra dialed digits, etc!)? I want the remote
>user to be able to pick up their phone and dial as if they were local to
>the KSU (extn or access code, etc) and get audible feedback from the KSU
>(dialtone, ringtone, etc).....AND if the extns are rung by a caller, the
>remote phone rings without the caller having to overdial anything!
>(bascially I need a VoIP connection that emulates a FXS-FXO analog
>connection...without the 2600 Hz SF :)
> If anyone knows of such a box, please let me know......otherwise, whats
> the best way to do it with what is out there now? Would I need to install
> a signaling server at the KSUs and have the FXO and FXS modules talk to
> the server (I would like to NOT use a server if possible but..........)
> using SIP or H323 or ??????? I have dealt with VoIP before but only one
> the remote end (installed Cisco 2400 series for a VoIP provider).....but
> this project is a bit different....oh btw I will need 1-2 FXS at the
> remote ends and preferably 4-6 FXOs at the KSU end to handle the remote
> sites..
>
> Thanks!
> Chris

Anonymous
May 2, 2005 8:46:27 AM

As long as I can put an analog phone on one end and the other box goes to an
analog port on the switch, thats all I need....I take it there is no extra
digits to dial, etc??? The Partner is a KSU similar to the Norstar....(I
have a few of them in service as well....along with a Legend switch too)

Tnx!
Chris

"Mike Schumann" <mike-nospam@traditions-nospam.com> wrote in message
>A pair of Sipura SPA-3000s should do the triick. Each unit has one FXO and
>one FXS port.
>
> I don't know anything about Norstar PBXs, but I have used these units with
> Avaya Partner ACS PBXs in a similar configuration, and they work great.
>
> Mike Schumann

Anonymous
May 2, 2005 1:37:24 PM

Try to look at digium site
www.digium.com

I think they have something You will find appropriate

Marko

"CWB" <cboone@nospam.earthlink.net> wrote in message
news:D H7de.31998$AE6.17191@tornado.texas.rr.com...
>I have a couple of offices with KSUs (Nortel Norstar) which have some
>analog extns on them..I want to remote these analog extns to distant remote
>offices over our internal intranet (all fixed IP in the 10.xxx.xxx.xxx
>range). Is there ANYONE who makes a simple FXO and FXS combo that can make
>it operate transparently (NO extra dialed digits, etc!)? I want the remote
>user to be able to pick up their phone and dial as if they were local to
>the KSU (extn or access code, etc) and get audible feedback from the KSU
>(dialtone, ringtone, etc).....AND if the extns are rung by a caller, the
>remote phone rings without the caller having to overdial anything!
>(bascially I need a VoIP connection that emulates a FXS-FXO analog
>connection...without the 2600 Hz SF :)
> If anyone knows of such a box, please let me know......otherwise, whats
> the best way to do it with what is out there now? Would I need to install
> a signaling server at the KSUs and have the FXO and FXS modules talk to
> the server (I would like to NOT use a server if possible but..........)
> using SIP or H323 or ??????? I have dealt with VoIP before but only one
> the remote end (installed Cisco 2400 series for a VoIP provider).....but
> this project is a bit different....oh btw I will need 1-2 FXS at the
> remote ends and preferably 4-6 FXOs at the KSU end to handle the remote
> sites..
>
> Thanks!
> Chris

Anonymous
May 2, 2005 4:10:52 PM

No, they do not.......they only offer equipment that works with Asterisk
PBX...
That is not what I am looking for.

Chris

"C:\Marko" <markoMAKNIme@rest-art.hr> wrote in message
news:D 54lbl$ofr$1@ss405.t-com.hr...
> Try to look at digium site
> www.digium.com
>
> I think they have something You will find appropriate
>
> Marko

Anonymous
May 2, 2005 10:12:52 PM

The advantage of the Sipura's is the tremendous flexibility that you have in
programming the dial plan for each port. That has however the downside of
complexity. If you know how to read a manual, and you are familiar with
setting up PBXs, you shouldn't have a problem.

Note however, that Sipura's business model is to sell units in large volume
to VOIP service providers. As a result, end user support is virtually
non-existant, except for the excellent user to user forum on Voxilla.com.

Good luck,

news:D gide.32430$AE6.32016@tornado.texas.rr.com...
> As long as I can put an analog phone on one end and the other box goes to
> an analog port on the switch, thats all I need....I take it there is no
> extra digits to dial, etc??? The Partner is a KSU similar to the
> Norstar....(I have a few of them in service as well....along with a Legend
> switch too)
>
> Tnx!
> Chris
>
> "Mike Schumann" <mike-nospam@traditions-nospam.com> wrote in message
>>A pair of Sipura SPA-3000s should do the triick. Each unit has one FXO
>>and one FXS port.
>>
>> I don't know anything about Norstar PBXs, but I have used these units
>> with Avaya Partner ACS PBXs in a similar configuration, and they work
>> great.
>>
>> Mike Schumann

Anonymous
May 3, 2005 1:17:05 PM

Hi,
You can go in for Asterisk based PBX connecting the two or more
office.Other simple options is to go in for 4 port Analogue GWs like
Quintum and connect the phones.

appan kh
Voice_voip@yahoo.co.uk.

!