PPC 2003 "work" proxy settings

November 25, 2004 11:21:08 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc.wireless (More info?)

Can anybody tell me what is the "work" proxy setting for if the PPC is
connected to my companies network by a VPN connection? What is the proxy used
for - is it used e.g. by PIE to access "internet" (or company external) URLs
like a regular intranet client (e.g. Internet Explorer) would do it? Or is
the proxy necessary to access intranet URLs, which would mean the proxy is
expected between the VPN client and the intranet servers?

I set up a VPN connection and then I would like to access intranet as well
as company external URLs by PIE. But even if I configure a proxy, PIE never
uses the proxy, it requests the pages directly. I also played around with
exeptions list, but it doesn't changed anything. What do I need to do to
bring PIE to use the proxy when I access company external URLs?

Thanks in advance!

Ingmar
Anonymous
November 26, 2004 2:12:45 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc.wireless (More info?)

The exceptions list only applies to dotted addresses that you want to be
accessible over the vpn link. "Work" settings is for any microsoft program
"pocket ie, outlook, media player,activesync" that needs to access a netbios
name(un-dotted) or network share. Activesync is the only program that needs
to go through the "wrok" profile. If your company has external web pages
then you should be able to access them the same way you do other pages,
unless you're connected to you company's network and they require a proxy
server to access the internet.

rights...

"Ingmar Kliche" <IngmarKliche@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Can anybody tell me what is the "work" proxy setting for if the PPC is
> connected to my companies network by a VPN connection? What is the proxy
> used
> for - is it used e.g. by PIE to access "internet" (or company external)
> URLs
> like a regular intranet client (e.g. Internet Explorer) would do it? Or is
> the proxy necessary to access intranet URLs, which would mean the proxy is
> expected between the VPN client and the intranet servers?
>
> I set up a VPN connection and then I would like to access intranet as well
> as company external URLs by PIE. But even if I configure a proxy, PIE
> never
> uses the proxy, it requests the pages directly. I also played around with
> exeptions list, but it doesn't changed anything. What do I need to do to
> bring PIE to use the proxy when I access company external URLs?
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Ingmar
Anonymous
November 26, 2004 10:59:54 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc.wireless (More info?)

"Eric Hicks [MVP, Windows Mobile devices]" <e_dadu@nomospam.yahoo.com> wrote
in message news:%23HxUPL90EHA.1124@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> The exceptions list only applies to dotted addresses that you want to be
> accessible over the vpn link. "Work" settings is for any microsoft
> program "pocket ie, outlook, media player,activesync" that needs to access
> a netbios name(un-dotted) or network share. Activesync is the only
> program that needs to go through the "wrok" profile. If your company has
> external web pages then you should be able to access them the same way you
> do other pages, unless you're connected to you company's network and they
> require a proxy server to access the internet.

Eric, I am trying to use ActiveSynce via my wireless setup. I can connect to
the Internet and surf around, but I cannot seem to sync my iPAQ 4150. I
believe the message popped up the first time I tried to sync, which said I
needed to set up a VPNetwork. I went to connections and set up what I
believe to be a VPNetwork, but it still will not connect.

I am going through the 'Work' profile. I have a question about the VPN
hostname and type. Is the hostname simply the IP address? As for type,
should it be IPSec/L2LP or PPTP?

I've read through the iPAQ Manual with reference to Wireless, but strangely
enough there is no specific mention made about connecting to ActiveSync
wirelessly. I believe my problem to be in setting up the Virtual Private
Network, but just not sure where.

Nick
Related resources
November 27, 2004 3:55:12 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc.wireless (More info?)

Actually HP manual do mention that you can use ActiveSync wirelessly in a
"Work" mode connection only. Just change the type of your current connection
to "Work", start ActiveSync on PPC and select "Start" (don't forget to
select "keep connection" in ActiveSyncn settings if you want to browse your
device - otherwise it will disconnect immediately after sync). Another thing
is that you will not be able to browse internet in "Work" mode, so you will
have to change connection type back to "Internet" for that. And another
important step (actually the first one) - you have to establish standard
partnership first using the USB connection (cradle). So steps to use
ActiveSync wirelessly:

1. configure PPC to connect to your wireless network (Internet or Work type)
2. create standard partnership PPC-desktop using cradle (USB)
3. remove PPC from cradle
5. enable wireless on PPC
6. change wireless connection type to "Work"
7. start ActiveSync on PPC and select "Start"

--
Thank you,
-- Alex

"Nick Andriash" <andriash@uniserve.com> wrote in message

> "Eric Hicks [MVP, Windows Mobile devices]" <e_dadu@nomospam.yahoo.com>
> wrote in message news:%23HxUPL90EHA.1124@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>> The exceptions list only applies to dotted addresses that you want to be
>> accessible over the vpn link. "Work" settings is for any microsoft
>> program "pocket ie, outlook, media player,activesync" that needs to
>> access a netbios name(un-dotted) or network share. Activesync is the
>> only program that needs to go through the "wrok" profile. If your
>> company has external web pages then you should be able to access them the
>> same way you do other pages, unless you're connected to you company's
>> network and they require a proxy server to access the internet.
>
> Eric, I am trying to use ActiveSynce via my wireless setup. I can connect
> to the Internet and surf around, but I cannot seem to sync my iPAQ 4150. I
> believe the message popped up the first time I tried to sync, which said I
> needed to set up a VPNetwork. I went to connections and set up what I
> believe to be a VPNetwork, but it still will not connect.
>
> I am going through the 'Work' profile. I have a question about the VPN
> hostname and type. Is the hostname simply the IP address? As for type,
> should it be IPSec/L2LP or PPTP?
>
> I've read through the iPAQ Manual with reference to Wireless, but
> strangely enough there is no specific mention made about connecting to
> ActiveSync wirelessly. I believe my problem to be in setting up the
> Virtual Private Network, but just not sure where.
>
> Nick

Anonymous
November 27, 2004 9:06:29 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc.wireless (More info?)

If you setup the Windows Mobile 2003 Connection Manager as illustrated on this page for "My Work
Network" you will be able to surf the internet and wirelessly ActiveSync without changing
anything...

http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/WM2003/Connection...

http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/WM2003/ActiveSync...

--
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

"ALex" <chatilov@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:emEPS7F1EHA.1076@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Actually HP manual do mention that you can use ActiveSync wirelessly in a "Work" mode connection
> only. Just change the type of your current connection to "Work", start ActiveSync on PPC and
> select "Start" (don't forget to select "keep connection" in ActiveSyncn settings if you want to
> browse your device - otherwise it will disconnect immediately after sync). Another thing is that
> you will not be able to browse internet in "Work" mode, so you will have to change connection type
> back to "Internet" for that. And another important step (actually the first one) - you have to
> establish standard partnership first using the USB connection (cradle). So steps to use ActiveSync
> wirelessly:
>
> 1. configure PPC to connect to your wireless network (Internet or Work type)
> 2. create standard partnership PPC-desktop using cradle (USB)
> 3. remove PPC from cradle
> 5. enable wireless on PPC
> 6. change wireless connection type to "Work"
> 7. start ActiveSync on PPC and select "Start"
>
> --
> Thank you,
> -- Alex
>
> "Nick Andriash" <andriash@uniserve.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Eric Hicks [MVP, Windows Mobile devices]" <e_dadu@nomospam.yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>> The exceptions list only applies to dotted addresses that you want to be accessible over the vpn
>>> link. "Work" settings is for any microsoft program "pocket ie, outlook, media
>>> player,activesync" that needs to access a netbios name(un-dotted) or network share. Activesync
>>> is the only program that needs to go through the "wrok" profile. If your company has external
>>> web pages then you should be able to access them the same way you do other pages, unless you're
>>> connected to you company's network and they require a proxy server to access the internet.
>>
>> Eric, I am trying to use ActiveSynce via my wireless setup. I can connect to the Internet and
>> surf around, but I cannot seem to sync my iPAQ 4150. I believe the message popped up the first
>> time I tried to sync, which said I needed to set up a VPNetwork. I went to connections and set up
>> what I believe to be a VPNetwork, but it still will not connect.
>>
>> I am going through the 'Work' profile. I have a question about the VPN hostname and type. Is the
>> hostname simply the IP address? As for type, should it be IPSec/L2LP or PPTP?
>>
>> I've read through the iPAQ Manual with reference to Wireless, but strangely enough there is no
>> specific mention made about connecting to ActiveSync wirelessly. I believe my problem to be in
>> setting up the Virtual Private Network, but just not sure where.
>>
>> Nick

Anonymous
January 10, 2005 3:13:03 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc.wireless (More info?)

This *almost* all works for me - I have integrated WiFi in my iPAQ, and a
wireless card in my laptop, and a wireless DSL modem/router. I consulted
your two fabulous articles (thank you!) and now have this situtation:

- I can ActiveSync to my laptop over the wifi connection (thank you!)

- I can use Pocket IE to get to named IP addresses (like cnn's ip address -
thank you!)

- But I CAN'T use Pocket IE to get at website URLs (like
http://www.cnn.com).

In the WiFi Adapter configuration screen, where you get to say it's DHCP and
on the Name Servers tab you get to indicate the 2 DNS entries, I put the same
2 DNS entries I use on my laptop, which are the ones given to me by my DSL
service provider (works fine on the laptop). But on my iPAQ evidently it
can't resolve the names. What's the catch?

(also note, if I'm cradled directly into the laptop with the PPC wifi turned
off, I CAN use PocketIE to get at URL-named websites, I guess via ActiveSync
Desktop Passthrough).

Tim Johnson

!