no video no boot - trash?? :-( Asus mobo

DelMerkin

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2003
Before I toss this MOBO in the trash perhaps there is one last hope. I have a A7N8X Deluxe. After temporarily removing the AMD XP 2800 (working 2 years) CPU to test on another mobo, I cannot get the A7N8X to boot anymore with this CPU. CPU and case fans spin but no video and no apparent boot. CPU works on another mobo fine. Disconnected and reset everything. Reset CMOS with the jumper and removed battery. I even put another known working CPU into the ASUS mobo and no boot. Tried two AGP video cards and neither show boot or CMOS screens. This was all working this morning, but I have powered it on and off many times today.

Thanks in advance!

System

Power supply is brand new Antec 500w - worked fine on this mobo CPU.
Memory 2 Gb Corsair DDR 400 Twin 3200cpt (tried one stick and several slots)
CPU AMD XP 2800
Case Antec
Mobo ASUS A7NX8 Deluxe

Scout

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
If your board has the 100 MHz. FSB jumper, go ahead and switch it to the 100 MHz. setting and try a boot. Sometimes that will "wake up" one of these boards. If you don't have the jumper (if yours is an early version) then if you can get your hands on an old Duron or something with a 100 MHz. FSB, put it in and try to boot. That will do the same thing and possibly wake up the board.

Other than that, you may have done some static damage when removing the CPU...

DelMerkin

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2003
I tried setting the FSB to 100 but that no worky either. Hard to believe it was static - I am in Florida where the humidity is ungodly and I am pretty careful - to keep my wrist strap safely in the closet ;-). But I have no other explanation either.

Thanks for your help!

gr8mikey

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2002
Are you getting any beeps at all? Might try reseating the ram. Also might try another power supply. Also, if the vid card has its own molex power connector, make sure it is securely plugged in too. Also would try removing all add-in boards except for Vid card.

If none of that works, I would be inclined to think your board took a crap.

Good luck