CrowBar

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2004
To start, yes, I’m an AMD fanboy. I’ve never owned anything but AMD, except when I was younger my dad had Intel’s. So if this post sounds like I’m flaming AMD, I’m not.

I don't know what it is, but for some reason I get the idea that AM2 is just one of those transition/short term sockets. I don't think it will have the life span that the 939 has/will have. I think that AM2 was just an "Upgrade" to help AMD’s profits with the anticipated release of Conroe. I’ve already read some posts about AM3? I’ve got an x2 4800 now, So I’m not planning on upgrading anytime soon. I will however, upgrade when K8L finally gets around.
Any thoughts on the subject :?:

K8MAN

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2005
To start, yes, I’m an AMD fanboy. I’ve never owned anything but AMD, except when I was younger my dad had Intel’s. So if this post sounds like I’m flaming AMD, I’m not.

I don't know what it is, but for some reason I get the idea that AM2 is just one of those transition/short term sockets. I don't think it will have the life span that the 939 has/will have. I think that AM2 was just an "Upgrade" to help AMD’s profits with the anticipated release of Conroe. I’ve already read some posts about AM3? I’ve got an x2 4800 now, So I’m not planning on upgrading anytime soon. I will however, upgrade when K8L finally gets around.

Worst case scenario, AM2 will only get QC rev G but will more than likely see an incarnation of K8L even if it is only DC. I cant see them releasing another desktop socket before K10 though.

Mex

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2005
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=30617

Most of the buzz seems to come back to here. I'm skeptical, because of the rumored DDR3 support - remember what happened to Intel when they first indroduced DDR2 (No faster, but more expensive). Didn't AMD learn anything from Intel's mistake? If this is true, AMD may have just shot themselves in the foot.

gman01

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2006

I don't know what your definition of short is, but AM2 should be supporting revision G, 65nm, and Quad core.... As long as DDR2 is around socket AM2 will be around.... 800mhz DDR2 are just getting a start....

AM2 will not disappear until AM3/DDR3 becomes mainstream....

mpjesse

Splendid

Meh... yes and no. I think AMD's original intention w/ AM2 was to keep the socket around for a long time (like 939 and 940). Don't forget that AM2 has been in development for well over a year now.

But you're right... conroe happened. No one was even talking about Conroe this time last year. Now AMD has to re-think their strategy a little bit and yeah, AM2 probably won't be around as long as S939 was. With the upcoming changes to HT (HT 3.0) I don't see how AMD will be able to keep the same number of pins in CPU's.