Windows 7 Upgrade disc for new build

luckyniji13

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2011
There is some debate in my class about if one can put an upgrade disc on a new hdd?
Where there is no recent OS installed at all.

Input? thanks

Solution
No, you can not use an upgrade disk on a computer that does not have an OS on it. You must install a compatible older version first, boot into that, and then run the upgrade cd. Further, upgrading uses both the original license, and the upgrade license. So unless you own a non-OEM version of XP or Vista that you don't mind trashing, go for the full version.

wonder44

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2010

this is new lol. i think it would be possible if it was a hole os on it. maybe it just replaces files it needs to and edits others. i dont think it would though because when i upgraded from win 7 home premium to pro, my music was still on d drive so it didnt erase the hdd. this interesting question never thought it would be asked.
maybe you could copy the disk to anther pc and edit some files then burn it again and try installing. it is upgrade though so it probly needs certain files from the windows already on there to activate it or something.

luckyniji13

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2011
Yeah, I need an OS on my new computer build for school but the school discount site only sells the fricken upgrade version. Thats why I was wondering. I hear one person say they did it and it worked but I don't believe them.

sauvesean

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2010
No, you can not use an upgrade disk on a computer that does not have an OS on it. You must install a compatible older version first, boot into that, and then run the upgrade cd. Further, upgrading uses both the original license, and the upgrade license. So unless you own a non-OEM version of XP or Vista that you don't mind trashing, go for the full version.

Solution

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator
No, upgrades on vista and 7 both work with the double install method!Upgrade media is all you need for full installs of vista or seven even on a blank hard drive!I DBAN all my hard drives from my customers to wipe them and i have used upgrade media at least a dozen times to reinstall!Sauvesean you are wrong!

sauvesean

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2010
I guess I should mention also that if your computer came with an OEM version then you can do the workaround that area51 is talking about, even if the OS is not currently loaded. Area51 is technically correct, but his workaround does not legally apply to lucky's situation.