CPU Overheating - Please Help

warblade24

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2006
My 2.8 GHZ P4 is running around 70 to 90C. It freezes constantly and now i cant even boot up windows bc it freezes so quick. I have 1GB of Patroit 3200, nvidia 6600 256MB,asus P5VD1-X mobo, and 250GB WD HDD and 330watt PSU. I WOULD APPRECIATE SOME HELP THx.

YO_KID37

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
My 2.8 GHZ P4 is running around 70 to 90C. It freezes constantly and now i cant even boot up windows bc it freezes so quick. I have 1GB of Patroit 3200, nvidia 6600 256MB,asus P5VD1-X mobo, and 250GB WD HDD and 330watt PSU. I WOULD APPRECIATE SOME HELP THx.

HOLY SH!T 90*C?? What Pentium 4 are you running?? a Engineering sample of a "prescott" core? you overclocked or Overvolted? or you have bad ventilation in your case. Omg.. Cleaning your case, dusting. reapplying thermal paste compound. Recheck the contact with your heatsink and compound you should drop to 60-70 max after that. Otherwise you've got your self a bad chip

Scout

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
On these socket 775 boards, the HSF assembly is often held on by just four push pins which can occasionally pop out allowing the Heat Sink to come up off the CPU which can result in extremely high CPU temperatures.

If I were you, I'd first check for obviousl problems like excessive dust clogging or a CPU fan that has stopped spinning. If everything looks good, remove the HSF assembly, clean and reapply paste and re-install the assembly making sure all four pins get clicked into place to hold it firmly to the CPU.

Datman

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2004
Just feel the air coming from the heatsink with your hand,
if it's warm/hot then it's working,
if it's cool then it's possibly not seated on the CPU right.

Run Everest & check your temps.
Home Ed
Ultimate Ed

warblade24

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2006
the heatsink is cool but its on the cpu firmly and i cant run those programs bc my comp freezes bc it gets to hot. As soon as i turn it on its already running at 70 to 80C. The CPU could be bad but ive only had it for 6 months

Assuming your H/S fan is running properly check the seating on the CPU itself, good thermal compound and a test seating will show you how well the contact with the surface area is.

With thermal compound less is always the rule of thumb, too much thermal compound will act as an insulator more than a transfer medium, you want just a thin layer of compound as thin a solid layer as you can spread, it does make a difference.

For those temps if they're accurate it sounds like the heatsink is not seated on the CPU properly, it may require you removing the M/B and inspecting the hold down mechanism to make sure its not warped or not holding to the CPU tight, the retaining mechanisms are mass produced and you could have a flawed retention mechanism.

Those temps if the M/B is reporting them accurately are dangerously high, stay concerned until you get this resolved, you may need to consider an after market cooling solution to replace your stock setup, your heatsink fan could be going bad and not putting out the RPMs it did in the beginning.

its P4 511 and its not overclocked or overvolted i have 7 fans in my case in its clean as hell

Just because you have 7 fans in your case doesn't mean you have good airflow through the case, wires obstructing the flow, fans not directed properly can build internal heat instead of removing it.

You want your case fans to work together to pull air through the case or the opposite of cooling occurs a normal case setup for airflow is IN from front and side, and OUT through back, and the top if you're lucky enough to have purchased a case with a top blowhole.

I had serious airflow problem with my case until I got fed up with it and installed 2 120mm blowholes in the top, and 1 120mm side fan blowing straight in on the video cards, removed every 80mm case fan and left the holes open which created a superb airflow through the case and solved all my cooling problems.

warblade24

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2006
thx for the advice. im going to try some thermal paste. if that doesnt work then should i get a diff fan/HS or is my CPU just going bad? thx

Its hard to say sometimes your M/B could be going bad and reporting wrong temps, but first you need to eliminate the obvious and make sure the CPU is making solid contact.

If you put thermal compound on the CPU only then seat the heatsink and remove it, you can see on the bottom of the heatsink the complete CPU contact face area on the bottom of the heatsink.

If the contact area on the bottom of the heatsink is showing complete coverage of the CPU then its safe to remount the heatsink on the CPU but first clean off the heatsink compound with isoprophyl alcohol, apply some fresh compound and reseat the heatsink.

Note: I do see one problem with your setup and thats the 330W P/S I'm pretty sure the NV 6600 alone requires a 350W minimum P/S you may want to check into that, theres a P/S load configuring website link under the Sticky I have posted at the top of the Power Supply Section, you can access that website link and put in the components you're running and it will tell you the P/S wattage you should be running, I usually reccommend 50W more than it says you need for future upgrade leeway.

warblade24

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2006
your right on the PSU it recommends a 350 at least so im gonna have to buy another one. Also i am lucky enough to have a blowhole at the top of my case i need to rearrange the fans in my case bc they are all over the place i got two on a side window and a 120mm in the back and another 2 more at the bottom but i dont have them in any airflow pattern. Im gonna have to fix that. Thx again for your help

scorch

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2004
If your push pin connections are secure you may want to remove the fan and heatsink and clean off the factory thermal pad, purchase some Arctic Silver thermal paste, apply as the directions say and reattach hsf and see if that helps.

I have a 3.2 that was constantly giving me temp warnings, turned out one of the plastic push pins was bad so I bought a hsf that didn't use pins but screws and now I rarely see 45C.