4-pin connector problem

noexcuse4you

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2006
OK, I just received my MSI K9N SLI Platinum motherboard and AMD Athlon 64 3500+ processor. I installed them in my Antec Sonata II case along with hard drive, cd-rom, video card, and floppy drive. The RAM hadn't come yet. Then for some unknown reason, I decided to turned it on to see if it would go into the bios so I could check the processor for DOA. Zipzoomfly.com only has a 15 day return policy on processors and my ram was on backorder.

I turned it on and I get lights and it seemed to be running, but nothing was displayed on the screen. So I look at the motherboard and the 4-pin CPU power connector wasn't connected. I plug it in....ZAP! Turns out the power was still on...I know I'm a dumb ass.

I turned it back off and plugged in the 4-pin connector and turned it back on. The power stays on for less than a second, the fans jump and the light goes on and then goes off, I hear capacitors start to charge and then stop. I disconnected the 4-pin connector, and all is well, fans spin, hard drive wrrrrrrrs, capacitors charging.

I removed the processor. It doesn't look scorched or fried or anything. I kept the 4-pin connector plugged in and same thing, starts then immediately stops. Disconnect 4-pin connector, all is well.

Before I go crazy and start spending a crap load more money, what should I replace? If anything. Because there isn't any RAM, would this problem have happened even if the connector had been properly plugged in, system starts then immediately turn off? Should I attempt to install the RAM when it gets here or will it be fried?

Could it possibly be the power supply was fried? or just the motherboard? or the CPU? or all 3?

Any help is appreciated. I've done countless searches on the internet for help, but I decided to post instead. Hopefully when I RMA they won't find out I was a dumb ass and will send me a new product.

Thank you,
Kyle.

ben4345

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2006
We all make mistakes, but yes that was a dumb thing to do. Anyways, I bet it's you mobo that got fried. do you have a why to test your mobo, PSU or other parts that you suspect? Maybe a friend does...you can use a multi-meter for the PSU. the four pin plug that goes into the mobo should be at 12v

TheIdeaDude

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
Sounds interesting.....I am looking into fixing a friends computer that is doing the same thing. Leave the 4 pin connector off the mobo and it stays running, plug the 4 pin in and several seconds it just shuts off. I have tried another PSU and it did the same thing. Did you end up figuring out what the problem was....Thanks :)

bartron

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2006
I have a P5W DH Deluxe mobo, E6600 CPU, thermaltake 550W toughpower PSU, 2GB Corsair PC2-6400C4 RAM, a GEForce 6200 LE and my computer does the exact same thing!

I started a thread here and another one here hoping someone can help me. There are no replies yet...but it may be worth checking out those threads to see if anything comes up.

Ofcourse, if someone can solve the problem here that would be great too!

Thanks.

btw, I didn't plug/unplug anything while the computer was running.

TheIdeaDude

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
For what it is worth....I never really figured out what the problem was....I never took the cpu out...only all connectors from the PSU and the ram.....basically after a little of jiggling about and putting it all back together it worked....go figure...hope this helps!

All the best

The Idea Dude

Rapt0r03

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2007
Because there isn't any RAM, would this problem have happened even if the connector had been properly plugged in, system starts then immediately turn off? Should I attempt to install the RAM when it gets here or will it be fried?

I know it is definitely late, but I just read this and just HAD to reply...

Just double checking what I quoted above... Did you try starting the computer without RAM???

IF SO, I am assuming that this is your first built, because that is your problem bud, your computer won't post without memory.

bartron

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2006
I had the Corsair Twin2X2048-6400C4 in there. I tried with both sticks, one stick, the other stick, and no sticks....and nada.

I took in into the trusty ol' computer store and they confirmed that my mobo was faulty. The CPU had no problems and the RAM was fine too.

...just realized you were talking to the initiator of the thread...not me. But yeah, I had RAM.

Rapt0r03

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2007
I had the Corsair Twin2X2048-6400C4 in there. I tried with both sticks, one stick, the other stick, and no sticks....and nada.

I took in into the trusty ol' computer store and they confirmed that my mobo was faulty. The CPU had no problems and the RAM was fine too.

...just realized you were talking to the initiator of the thread...not me. But yeah, I had RAM.

Yeah, to initiator, might be interpreting his post wrong, but thats what it seems he is doing...