Sign in with
Your question

New Build Locking Up Constantly!!

Last response: in Systems
June 26, 2006 2:48:14 AM

The computer seems to run fine as long as I am browsing the web or using other applications. But for example, today I picked up F.E.A.R and everytime I run it I get through the single player video and everything and then as soon as it's about to start it locks up and I can't do anything. So, I tried skipping the video and going straight into the game and the computer locks up then to.

It's happened when I've been doing some other stuff as well where it just randomly locks up and forces me to hit the reset button because CTRL-ALT-DEL doesn't do anything.

The GPU is at 54 degrees when the computer is running, CPU around 60, and MOBO around 40.

I'm running:

Intel 805 D
Asus P5ND2-SLI
WD 160GB SATA
eVGA 7600GT
1GB pQI DDR2

Is just seems to have some stability issues or something.
June 26, 2006 4:51:59 AM

AHHHHHHH!!!!!! HEAT!

unless you have a major overclock on that 805 with stock cooling.... that's way too hot for the CPU.... and the motherboard.

Get these if you don't already have them:

Zalman CNPS9500 if you're overclocking that 805.

Arctic Silver 5 regardless of the situation.... if your 805 is running that hot, some AS 5 will definitly help.
June 26, 2006 5:25:47 AM

Yeah, I am not OC'ing it even. The CPU gets down around 49 once in a while, but I felt it was running way too hot with the stock cooling regardless. There are 2 case fans, CPU cooling, GPU fan.

I also had an issue with my DVDRW drive not reading, but the CDROM drive reads, and I don't think that would have anything to do with heat i think it was simply DOA.

I kind of had a feeling that this issue was due to heat, it tends to lock up when I'm starting to increase the workload.
Related resources
June 26, 2006 9:17:18 AM

OK... definitly get some Arctic Silver 5.... it's gonna help.

When applying the AS 5, using the following method should produce the best results....

1. Apply a small pebble sized amount of AS 5 to the base of the heatsink. Spread it around with something the paste won't stick to (very much). A piece of a plastic grocery bag generally works well. Spread the blob of AS 5 over the entire base of the heatsink.
2. Look at the base of the heatsink face on. If you can't see any copper (or aluminum depending on the heatsink) on the base, move on.
3. Look at the base of the heatsink edge on. If you can't see the layer of spread out AS 5 you just applied from this viewpoint, you have applied enough. If you can see the spread out layer you applied, either spread it around some more, or remove some of the paste. Repeat until you can't see the paste from the edge on view.
4. Mount the heatsink. Once properly mounted, gently wiggle the heatsink a little bit to ensure proper contact between the heatsink and CPU.
June 26, 2006 10:30:29 AM

Or you can just follow the AS5 instructions straight from their websiteAS5 instructions 8) Have you tried running memtest? Might want to give that a shot. Also, what brand/model power supply are you using?
June 26, 2006 11:11:12 AM

How hot is the room that the computer is in?
Have you tried taking off the side of your case? Try that and monitor how much the temps go down. If they do go way down, like 10c then you know its a case ventilation problem. I did the same thing, took the side off and temps went down 10c. I then bought a $12 thermaltake 120mm fan with speed control. Now with the case closed up and the thermaltake on high the temps are the same as with the side off. That was my goal. :lol: 
June 26, 2006 5:05:13 PM

Alright here are the updated temps with one panel off. Resting doing nothing it's at 45 degrees CPU, Mobo is at 28 degrees. Now, I've got F.E.A.R at the main menu, it jumped up around 55. CPU and 32 Mobo. Which is definitely cooler than before. Maybe I'll install another 120mm fan and put some better heatsink on there.

This time, I was actually able to make it into the game instead of having it lock up as usual. So I think it was just due to overheating like you guys suggested. I'm going to run out to best buy (fastest solution, and a $12 fan doesn't matter) and grab a fan and heatsink to throw on.

This is the case I am using: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...

Another question. The 120mm fan at the back of my computer is blowing air out, should I turn the fan around and have it blow inside the computer? I've read a few other posts of people doing that and the temp dropping as much as 10 degrees.
June 26, 2006 5:27:38 PM

Nevermind the turning the fan around. Computer is running significantly hotter because of it even with the case open. If I put a case fan in front, should I push air in so it then goes out the back or have it push air out?
June 26, 2006 6:38:05 PM

Backpanel fan should be blowing out, front panels fans should draw air in.
June 26, 2006 6:39:16 PM

I like to have it like this: An intake fan in the front, 120mm if the case can take it. Another 120mm in the back for exhaust...Another 80mm on the side blowing near the GPU/CPU, if possible. I personally like the vertical CPU coolers so that it'll blow the hot air right out the case, not around in it.

So to answer your question, you want the cold air to come inside the case, so "push air in".

Why do people have a fan at the top of the case? Is this another exhaust?

~Ibrahim~

P.S. What PSU are you running?
June 26, 2006 6:49:52 PM

I have a fan on the roof of my case as exaust, because as the theory goes... heat rises. Therefore, common sense would dictate that having the fan on the roof of your case as an exaust fan would make more sense than having it draw air in.
June 26, 2006 7:27:21 PM

Quote:
The computer seems to run fine as long as I am browsing the web or using other applications. But for example, today I picked up F.E.A.R and everytime I run it I get through the single player video and everything and then as soon as it's about to start it locks up and I can't do anything. So, I tried skipping the video and going straight into the game and the computer locks up then to.

It's happened when I've been doing some other stuff as well where it just randomly locks up and forces me to hit the reset button because CTRL-ALT-DEL doesn't do anything.

The GPU is at 54 degrees when the computer is running, CPU around 60, and MOBO around 40.

I'm running:

Intel 805 D
Asus P5ND2-SLI
WD 160GB SATA
eVGA 7600GT
1GB pQI DDR2

Is just seems to have some stability issues or something.

I have a similar heat problem with one of my computers. Not the locking up problem, just a heat problem. It happened since I added 4 512 sticks of RAM. I have 512 x 4 (very hot to the touch) AMD 4800 x2 Dual Core processors, Two EVGA 7600 GT's in SLI, Two SATA HD's (one is 10,000 rpm) Pinnacle studio 9 PCI card, Two optical drives and a floppy, Probably 10 fans and some lights. I'm using an ANTEC 2.0 SLI 550 watt dual 12v PSU. The ANTEC PSU blows very hot air out the exhaust. I'm thinking my power supply is pushed to the limit. I'm shopping for a better, more powerful PSU. CPU idle is 49c and my system board idle temps are about the same 48c to 49c. I think the CPU is running at my system temps because of the heat created there around my CPU.

Anyone know the link to that Power Supply configurator someone posted the other day? The one that you can put in you system components like I have listed here and it gives you your total wattage used and what PSU would power your system. I have the link to it, but it's across town on another computer.

Any suggestions other than a better PSU?
June 26, 2006 7:49:53 PM

Quote:
So to answer your question, you want the cold air to come inside the case, so "push air in".

Wrong, force air out and it will pull in all it needs passively. I run a low rpm intake in the front and a high rpm exhaust out the back.
June 26, 2006 8:01:13 PM

Yeah, I installed a 120mm fan in the front of the case and even with the door open my computer is running hotter now. Should I turn the fan around in the front or just attatch it to the other 120mm in the back to push more air out?

I have a 120mm pushing out in the back, i have a 120mm intake in the front, then a window fan towards the CPU and it's still up at 55 or 60 degrees. I am also still getting that freezing issue.
June 26, 2006 8:02:41 PM

Quote:
This one seems pretty good.

http://www.extreme.outervision.com/

Liquid cooling?

AMD processor?

A second hand 486?

Moving to Alaska and operating out of your garden shed?

Alaska is good. I ran the thing and it says 589 watts needed. 'splains the heat my antec 550 is experiencing. Probaly could solve the MB system temps too. I don't have a garden shed. have enough money for lawn maintenance people. hey, I could lose those bench sleepers if I moved to alaska and got a garden shed. But that's for my computer. screw them annyway.
June 26, 2006 8:18:55 PM

Alright maybe we made a bad diagnosis. I figured I was having a bitch of a time getting FEAR to run so I started installing WarCraft III, it didn't even complete the installation. It seems like the computer is only running for a limited amount of time and then it just freezes. It's not bringing an error message up, it's just freezing period. Now, the first day I had it I was getting it to run okay but it still experienced freezing issues.

Is there anything else that this could be? I tried uninstalling the GPU drivers and then rebooting and installing them again, to no avail. The GPU by the way runs are 48 degrees celsius.

What is that memtest that was said in a previous post?
June 26, 2006 9:08:33 PM

So...to elievate my system's heat problem I ordered a 680w dual 12v 22amp1/24amp2 to upgrade my 550 w dual 12v 19amp1/19amp2. I needed the increae in watts and the bump up in Amps on the 12v dual rails should help take the stress off.

I'd suggest firing up your computer and holding your finger on the individual components and finding what is hot and what is not. Then, feel the heat coming out the back of your PSU. If it's escessively hot you miht consider a bump up with a new PSU. My memory will burn my finger! That's heat!
June 26, 2006 9:13:38 PM

The chassis fan is either your intake or exhaust fan. There is a three pin header on your motherboard that you'll need to connect the fan to. The motherboard will power and monitor the fan. You'll probably need to get a different fan to be able to use the motherboard header unless the fan you are currently using has both Molex and motherboard header type plugs.

The power fan is located in your power supply unit. There is a two pin header on your motherboard to monitor the PSU. If your power supply has a two pin plug you'll need to plug it in on the PSU header if you want your motherboard to monitor the fan.
June 26, 2006 9:15:33 PM

Quote:
Alright maybe we made a bad diagnosis. I figured I was having a bitch of a time getting FEAR to run so I started installing WarCraft III, it didn't even complete the installation. It seems like the computer is only running for a limited amount of time and then it just freezes. It's not bringing an error message up, it's just freezing period. Now, the first day I had it I was getting it to run okay but it still experienced freezing issues.

Is there anything else that this could be? I tried uninstalling the GPU drivers and then rebooting and installing them again, to no avail. The GPU by the way runs are 48 degrees celsius.

What is that memtest that was said in a previous post?

What is that memtest that was said in a previous post?[/quote]

I don't mean to butt in (maybe I do), and I don't have time to read all the details you are giving about your freeze ups, but if you are overclocking that Penium D 805 Smith it is very likely the cause of your hangups. Usually you will go through several days if not weeks of hangups until you find the sweet spot where your O'c runs right. Just an observation. I've seen 'em hang every other boot before.
June 27, 2006 7:15:25 PM

Quote:

Wrong, force air out and it will pull in all it needs passively. I run a low rpm intake in the front and a high rpm exhaust out the back.

Have you noticed an increase of temps with it actually pulling air in? I had my design model like this:

The blue lines mean cold air, purple mean warm, red means hot. Is doing it passively enough? I'm not trying to be mean, just wondering...

~Ibrahim~
!