Is a 450Watt power supply enough for this setup?

botkiller

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2006
I currently have a 450Watt PS that runs the following;

Motherboard: MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum
Processor: Athlon 64 3000+ Venice
RAM: 1GB (2x512MB) DDR
Video Card: Evga GeForce 6600GT PCI-e
Hard Drive: 250GB Western Digital
Optical Drive: NEC DVD-RW

Everything works fine right now, but I'm planning on getting an x1900xt in the next few days and I want to make sure the PS will still be able to run it well.

The recommendation for the card on Newegg is a 450Watt PS, but is running at the minimum requirement pushing it?

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006
I currently have a 450Watt PS that runs the following;

Motherboard: MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum
Processor: Athlon 64 3000+ Venice
RAM: 1GB (2x512MB) DDR
Video Card: Evga GeForce 6600GT PCI-e
Hard Drive: 250GB Western Digital
Optical Drive: NEC DVD-RW

Everything works fine right now, but I'm planning on getting an x1900xt in the next few days and I want to make sure the PS will still be able to run it well.

The recommendation for the card on Newegg is a 450Watt PS, but is running at the minimum requirement pushing it?

Check the PS label for the +12V current rating. I think ATI recommends 30 amps for a single 1900XT. I wouldn't push my luck but YMMV. You've only got one HD, one optical and no sound card so the system isn't all loaded up.

botkiller

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2006
It shows the +12V as 15A.

I did a quick search around Newegg and couldn't find any that had a +12V rating higher than 18A, can you direct me to one that has 30A?

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006
It shows the +12V as 15A.

I did a quick search around Newegg and couldn't find any that had a +12V rating higher than 18A, can you direct me to one that has 30A?

Look for PS's that have two or more 12V rails that will deliver at least 30A combined. This one has plenty of overkill:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817341001

so does this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817104018

Here's a beefy single rail:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817703001

weilin

Distinguished
Becuase of such high amperage potential to kill some stupid kid who decided to lick the power supply connector (or that poor fly that flies into the psu..) some powersupplies split the 12v rail. On newegg see if you see dual or even tri 12v rails. (its usually labeled +12v1 & +12v2) if you do just add the amperage on all the 12v rails and see if you get 30.

Edit: Antecs make good power supplies (even if their stuff is a little pricy).
If you're on a budget u can look at rosewill. I work IT at a small business and i swear by Rosewills. 40 bucks for 500 Watts is something to beat (and its not a fake and i have a multimeter to prove it. Its also HEAVY...).

botkiller

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2006
Allright, I think I've composed a plan with one possible problem. I want to go ahead and order the video card and try it out in my system, see if it works. If it doesn't I'll buy a power supply (probably this one.).

My only concern is if there is anything that can actually happen to my other components (besides the power supply) if there isn't enough juice to power the x1900xt. I don't want to fry my motherboard, processor, RAM, or video card because of a crappy power supply.

Allright, I think I've composed a plan with one possible problem. I want to go ahead and order the video card and try it out in my system, see if it works. If it doesn't I'll buy a power supply (probably this one.).

My only concern is if there is anything that can actually happen to my other components (besides the power supply) if there isn't enough juice to power the x1900xt. I don't want to fry my motherboard, processor, RAM, or video card because of a crappy power supply.

I don't understand people who wants to spend around $400 for a video card and then connect it to the cheapest PSU they can afford.

pengwin

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006

I don't understand people who wants to spend around $400 for a video card and then connect it to the cheapest PSU they can afford.

same. get this
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817103937

its better thant taht POS rosewill

pengwin

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006

Excuse me for listening to the advice of the guy above.

dont mind him, hes just sick of answering the same question 200 times a week

botkiller

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2006
Well, I went ahead and got that Antec 500W Smartpower you recommended from a local computer store. It was about $10 more than Newegg, but if it's a dud it will be easier to return.

Thanks for the advice.