Occasional failure to boot

I tried this yesterday but got no hits. I'll try again.
Is there somewhere else I should post this?
About 1 out of 5 bootings my MS Win Home XP goes through
the colored Win XP screen and then becomes dorment with a
dark screen and no activity at all. I must turn the
computer off and re-boot. It then gives me a choice as to
how to restart. (Safe Mode, etc., etc., normal) I choose
normal and it then boots normally. This has been
happening since I down loaded Service Pack 1 in March of
2004. What to do?
..

"Henry Holmes" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I tried this yesterday but got no hits. I'll try again.
> Is there somewhere else I should post this?
> About 1 out of 5 bootings my MS Win Home XP goes through
> the colored Win XP screen and then becomes dorment with a
> dark screen and no activity at all. I must turn the
> computer off and re-boot. It then gives me a choice as to
> how to restart. (Safe Mode, etc., etc., normal) I choose
> normal and it then boots normally. This has been
> happening since I down loaded Service Pack 1 in March of
> 2004. What to do?
> .

Check the Event Log to see if there's an indication of what's failing to
start.

You might want to check to make sure any cards you have installed are
properly seated. If you recently added any components you might be nearing
the limit of your power supply.