Retired50

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2006
Will this work ? I have a new system to set up and have 2 Raptor 74mb drives (Sata). I want a multi boot setup. But initially, I just want WinXP and I want to do the W2K and 98 or Linux later. So what I'd like is: Drive0, part1 fat32 4gb, part2 fat 32 8gb, part3 fat32 30gb with WinXP, Ext Part ~32 data ntsf. Drive1, Extended, part1 fat32 2gb page file, part2 & 3 both 36mb storage for music, vids, misc. I want to use WinXP as the boot manager, but if I don't put any OS on D0, part 1 and 2 now, will that be a problem ? Oh, Not using Raid, ( "what, he has 2 raptors and not using raid?" ) Its cause i'm old.

Retired50

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2006
well, I read one post somewhere that was interesting. if you play games like me. having a single partition for just the OS and game , stops things like your Instant Messengers from popping up and anything else that has notifications that you use. ( I do have all kinds of those things ). That way you play your game uninterupted. also, I need to review w2k and will put that on a part, I need to study for a+ and net+. Once I do that, i probably won't have to ask these kinds of questions in forum :)

George05

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2006
if you actually want to use all those OSes you mentioned there's 3 points i'd like to put forward as suggestions.

1 - Windows XP to my knowledge will not/cannot recognise linux, however lilo/grub can see XP so you'd need to use that as your primary boot loader for that otherwise if you stick to MS OSes you shouldn't have a problem.

2 - If you can score a version of an MS Server OS one option you have available is the free full-version of MS Virtual Server or VMWare's Virtual Server (can't remember which version it is).

3 - You're better off putting all data on drive 1 (games, music, vids etc) and maintaining a backup as should in trying to install all those OSes you f**k something up you can just blitz drive 0 without worrying about getting data off and all you've lost is the time it took to install and configure.

Frank_M

Distinguished
May 24, 2006
well, I read one post somewhere that was interesting. if you play games like me. having a single partition for just the OS and game , stops things like your Instant Messengers from popping up and anything else that has notifications that you use.
No.
Unless if you put all application programs in xp and then boot to linux - but then you won't have your games if they're windows only.
If you are doing it just for this, fuggetaboutit.
What's all those small partitions for? Useless, you'll undo them eventually.
Fat32? Where are you living, in the 1990's? Ntsf for xp.