PLEASE Help!!

I can't access any Microsoft web pages. There are a few
other websites, e.g. bank site, which I can't reach either.

Current software:
Internet Explorer 6 (Latest update),
Windows XP w/SP2,
Nortons SystemWorks,
Spybot Search & Destroy,
AdAware,
Spyware Blaster,
Google Pop-up blocker toolbar,
Yahoo DSL,
Wireless Linksys router.

Disabling spyware programs, pop-up blocker and Nortons
doesn't allow me access either. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,
Lee
6 answers Last reply
More about please help

    What happens when you try to access those pages? Is there
    an error code? Be a little more specific so we can help
    you.

    Oh, sorry. IE located the page but the page does not
    appear. The Microsoft page then 'clocks' for about a
    minute then says the page is not available - to that
    effect.

    See if this helps any:
    From within IE, go to TOOLS, INTERNET OPTIONS. On the
    GENERAL page click the "Delete Files", "Delete Cokies",
    and "Clear History" buttons.
    Then click on the ADVANCED tab and click on the "Restore
    Defaults" button.

    Some time ago Symantec started altering IE's security settings when their
    programs are updated.
    I imagine you need to set the internet zone settings back to default then
    refresh the page and IE should then render that page.
    If that works then you really should learn how to use the trusted,
    restricted and internet zones to protect your computer properly.
    Symantec disables scripting that these sites need, but you may not want to
    give the entire internet the ability to run scripts on your machine.
    Basically Symantec changes some but not all the settings that the program
    Enough is Enough does. You can get Enough is Enough here.
    https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/ehowes/www/resource6.htm

    > I can't access any Microsoft web pages. There are a few
    > other websites, e.g. bank site, which I can't reach either.
    >
    > Current software:
    > Internet Explorer 6 (Latest update),
    > Windows XP w/SP2,
    > Nortons SystemWorks,
    > Spybot Search & Destroy,
    > AdAware,
    > Spyware Blaster,
    > Google Pop-up blocker toolbar,
    > Yahoo DSL,
    > Wireless Linksys router.

    My guess is you have a virus or browser hijack of some sort. There are some
    around that try and protect themselves by preventing you contacting
    antivirus web sites.

    > "Lee" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > I can't access any Microsoft web pages. There are a few
    > > other websites, e.g. bank site, which I can't reach either.
    > >
    > > Current software:
    > > Internet Explorer 6 (Latest update),
    > > Windows XP w/SP2,
    > > Nortons SystemWorks,
    > > Spybot Search & Destroy,
    > > AdAware,
    > > Spyware Blaster,
    > > Google Pop-up blocker toolbar,
    > > Yahoo DSL,
    > > Wireless Linksys router.
    >

    > My guess is you have a virus or browser hijack of some sort. There are
    some
    > around that try and protect themselves by preventing you contacting
    > antivirus web sites.

    Example...
    http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w95.mtx.html

Microsoft Spyware Windows XP