Sign in with
Your question

motherboard with two 775 sockets ?

Last response: in Motherboards
June 26, 2006 11:38:50 AM

i am in search for a motherboard with 2 X 775 sockets.. does this even exists ?
I got inspired when i saw an ad for the new apple G5, it has got two dual core processors on a motherboard. So it has to exist ? I know you got xeon server boards etc but what i would like to know if there is any board that supports two intel dual core processors (lga 775 socket) and if not, are there any plans ....
June 26, 2006 12:49:47 PM

Quote:
I got inspired when i saw an ad for the new apple G5, it has got two dual core processors on a motherboard. So it has to exist ? I know you got xeon server boards etc but what i would like to know if there is any board that supports two intel dual core processors (lga 775 socket) and if not, are there any plans ....

i dont think so. I think intel dual cpu boards are made for xeon, which is socket 604 i guess.
why you need 4 cores anyway?
You can do that in an AMD platform, buy a dual opteron platform with dual core opterons, which are way better than xeons and pentium-D
June 27, 2006 5:06:03 PM

Intel dual processor equivalent to socket 775 is the new Xeon socket 771. Core architecture for socket 771 (woodcrest)was launched 6-26-06.

Socket 775 are uniprocessor only.
June 28, 2006 1:09:17 PM

Quote:

Why do you think that because the G5 has two dual core processors that there is a dual socket 775 motherboard out there?

The G5 uses G5 PowerPC processors still. It doesn't use Core Duos. Probably the PowerPC series will use PowerPC processors until the Core 2 Duo comes out and then it'll get a name change. Remember that those towers are for graphics artists and other power users mainly so they could care less about heat and power consumption.
!