coyoty_tm

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2006
Hi

I got a prob. I had a server setup in Raid 1 (mirroring) and my mobo blew off.

How can i recover the data from the hard drives? The mobo was toooo old to find a similar one and replace it.. Are there any other ways?

Thank you

PS: The drives are 2 WD 40Gb.

jap0nes

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2006
Hi

I got a prob. I had a server setup in Raid 1 (mirroring) and my mobo blew off.

How can i recover the data from the hard drives? The mobo was toooo old to find a similar one and replace it.. Are there any other ways?

Thank you

PS: The drives are 2 WD 40Gb.
you can try to find a different motherboard with the same controller chip. I dont know if it will work, though

tcdude

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006
just plug either disk into any other system and backup the data...

thats how it supposed to work in theory.

you may want to give us some more hints such as specs of the mobo that u blew...

syn1kk

Distinguished
May 19, 2006
1.) This is probably the best option: scoure the internet for the same mobo and try to find it! Or contact the manufacturer, make sure you talk to actual people otherwise you will get no where. They might have a space mobo to offer you.

2.) possibly you might be able to find a similiar raid controller but on a different mobo... or on a different pci expansion. but this one i am not sure of. customarily the controller chip would be the same... but drivers (the stuff that makes software talk with the hardware) tend to always be a little different. But this might work out, I am doubtful of it working though.

good luck! that really sucks... because i mean you went to the trouble of even using raid 1! arg that sucks! Just goes to show how hard it is to keep your data backed up! (redundancy redundancy redundancy.)

jap0nes

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2006
just plug either disk into any other system and backup the data...

thats how it supposed to work in theory.

you may want to give us some more hints such as specs of the mobo that u blew...
oh yeah, that should work. I've seen people with problems booting from the secondary disk in windows 2000 tough. The primary disk died, then when trying to boot from the secondary disk, it wouldnt boot unless from a floppy. But i guess it was a windows problem, not the controller.

coyoty, have you tried booting that disk on another system?

tcdude

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006
wow jap0nes...

i love your signature!!!! 8O

is this really your rig in your signature or do you just want to make us all jealous about the high-performance system? :D

tcdude

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006
what kind of cooling do you use to keep that sucker cold enough?

i remember using icepacks (for sports-injuries) with my 10MHZ 486 rig which had a turbo-button to OC up to 33MHZ... (330% OC...)

i just put the icepack on the bare cpu and that way i was able to play just about everything that was out in this time...

it worked until one day i must have had a short due to some condense water buildup on the mobo... who knows what might've happend there 8O

jap0nes

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2006
i use a modified volcano 8, cutted a piece out to fit the socket.
so, you had sub-zero temps at that time? hahaha cool.. literally ahahahahh

coyoty_tm

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2006
Ok a bit out of topic here....

I can't provide with more info about the mobo cause it wasn't mine. It was on a server system i had built long time and the guy threw the mobo away.

Yes i have tried to plug either hd's on a another system but (on win2000) it would be recognised as part of a raid array so... i cant see them as single drives. Besides it is not supposed to work like that. Raid is designed in case a disk blows replace it and there you are; but in the case a mobo or a controler blows?? i guess that this limits our choices of recovering data.

Anyhow thank you i will try something out today and if i have any luck i will let you know

jap0nes

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2006
Ok a bit out of topic here....

I can't provide with more info about the mobo cause it wasn't mine. It was on a server system i had built long time and the guy threw the mobo away.

Yes i have tried to plug either hd's on a another system but (on win2000) it would be recognised as part of a raid array so... i cant see them as single drives. Besides it is not supposed to work like that. Raid is designed in case a disk blows replace it and there you are; but in the case a mobo or a controler blows?? i guess that this limits our choices of recovering data.

Anyhow thank you i will try something out today and if i have any luck i will let you know
well, but as far as i know, raid 1 makes 2 identical disks, so if you put one single disk on another system you should be able to at least read the disk. Are you sure it was raid 1? From what you're telling me it seems it was on raid 0...

bmouring

Distinguished
May 6, 2006
While the disks' contents may be identical, if the metadata used to control/administer/rebuild the array is visible to the operating system and especially if it's not all at the very end of the disk, the OS is very likely to bark on it if it even tries to boot it at all (i.e. can read the MBR and it's valid). Different controllers handle the same RAID level in different ways, otherwise migrating a RAID1 from one controller to the next would be a breeze.

jap0nes

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2006
While the disks' contents may be identical, if the metadata used to control/administer/rebuild the array is visible to the operating system and especially if it's not all at the very end of the disk, the OS is very likely to bark on it if it even tries to boot it at all (i.e. can read the MBR and it's valid). Different controllers handle the same RAID level in different ways, otherwise migrating a RAID1 from one controller to the next would be a breeze.
that's what i thought. So, he'll have to look for a board exactly the same as the one dead, or at least find a board with the same controller chip i guess

bmouring

Distinguished
May 6, 2006
That's definately the safest bet, I had read forums where there was success migrating a RAID1 by first removing the disks from the array (i.e. making them single disks that are no longer part of a RAID) then putting them into a new system with a different chipset and letting that chipset detect the drives as a damaged array, creating but not initializing the array.

However, as I couldn't find susbstantial proof and that the old system is hosed (unable to remove the drives from the array, which I guess removes some of the important proprietary metadata), the point is somewhat moot. There is no doubt in my mind that you'd be able to recover data using various forensic tools (some freely available), but it would require copious ammounts of time and work.

@coyoty_tm, at this point I'd try to figure out the chipset on the old board (maybe look at old receipts for a model muber of the board or system?) and try to either find a direct replacement or at least one with the same chipset. If you can't do any of that, might just want to throw caution to the wind, get a decent board, plug 1 pf the devices in and see if the controller recognizes it as part of a damaged RAID1 array, letting the new board rebuild it (after shutting down and plugging in the second one).

Edit: Also proves the value of using a backup scheme that doesn't have a single point of failure. Even though I could setup a redunant RAID on my hardware RAID card, I instead image it weekly to another drive that'd not on the controller. In case of mobo or RAID card failure, I'd be set back no more than a week since that image drive is readable in any system that supports SATA.

scaramanga

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006
Were you using hardware or software raid? Definately RAID 1?

It sounds like you were using software raid - 40Gb IDE disks - win2000 disk mirroring.

In this case you should be able to plug the drive into anther machine that has a spare channel. (personally I'd use the secondary IDE channel and only have the one device connected to that cable)

Boot the machine up using its hdd NOT the one from the old server. You should then be able to access the disk from the server. You will most likely have to assign it a drive letter in Disk Management.

I have never had any problems viewing a single disc of any disc mirror. The chances of getting that mirrored drive to boot though are slim to none.

If you still can't access the drive I'd suggest that whatever caused the rest of the machine to fail *MAY* have killed the drive as well.

Of course I could be wrong in my assumptions that you are using IDE RAID and not some proprietory SCSI setup - in which case you will need to get your hands on the same SCSI card as the drives were attached to.

Best of luck,
Scar

coyoty_tm

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2006
Finally!

I kinda solved the prob by putting the HD on another machine and got everything i could out of it with the aid of "getback" (software that reads deleted content from drives) That is the best i could do.

PS: It was hardware RAID

THANKS ALL!!!