mickeddie

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2004
What is it that makes some cases better than others? Obviously air flow is important, but other than that. I guess aluminum is better than the alternitives? I've seen several posts about the Sonata II which is what I will most likely get.

Stupid question...Conroe mobo's will fit in today's micro ATX cases? I am thinking of spreading the cost of my first build by getting the case/psu now. How is the PSU that comes with the Sonata?

Thanks!!

Eddie G

It really does not matter what the case is made of, but you don't want a flimsy piece of crap either, good designed airflow path is the most important thing in my opinion to build a great gaming machine, obviously high performance = high heat.

That heat has to be removed from the machine, I reccommend searching out a case with a top blowhole, a 120mm if you can find one, but at least an 80mm fan, heat rises, and the blowhole exhausts the heat better than any other case solution.

mack_ave

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2006
If your going to be buying all your parts over time like it seems you might be...save up and spend the extra dollars on an Antec P180B. It is a great case. It comes with a top blow hole (120mm) and a rear blower (120mm)and a front in take (120mm). I set them all to low with the controler they come with and the case is very quiet and cool. The front door and both sides are made with a sound dampening material that really works great when its all closed up. Tons of room for a big gameing card...I love mine and im glad i spent the extra money on it.

P180B Link

Hope you like it.

jimytheassassin

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2006
will concoe be supported by microATX boards?...probably, but it depends on the manufacturers..Abit,Asus,Msi,Epox.etc. Should you decide to get your case and PSU NOW..you might find your choices limited and compromised. Micro-boards will not support all the gratuitous functions that come on full ATX...lest SLI or Crossfire. Your PSU will limit your system as the mATX cases rarely fit PSU's more than 300watts. Even if a micro board does support it..IMHO you'd be foolish to try and cram it all in unless you either live in alaska..keep your room air conditioned, or try to mod water cooling into it.

mickeddie

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2004
will concoe be supported by microATX boards?...probably, but it depends on the manufacturers..Abit,Asus,Msi,Epox.etc. Should you decide to get your case and PSU NOW..you might find your choices limited and compromised. Micro-boards will not support all the gratuitous functions that come on full ATX...lest SLI or Crossfire. Your PSU will limit your system as the mATX cases rarely fit PSU's more than 300watts. Even if a micro board does support it..IMHO you'd be foolish to try and cram it all in unless you either live in alaska..keep your room air conditioned, or try to mod water cooling into it.

Ok...so I'm ignorant as to what mATX is. I thought mATX was the new standard. :oops: I'm so embarassed!!! (Like Grover at the end of "The Monster at the End of the Book).

jimytheassassin

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2006
pATX = Pico which is smaller than mATX = MICRO ATX. there's others like flex-atx ..and just plain ATX.. each format has requirements be met, most notably size. from AT to BTX..quick summary

Motherboards usually are listed with dimensions and catagory like mATX and such. Cases also sometimes list compatability.. but are usually downward compatable.. like ikjadoon said.. buy an atx case.. you can still fit an mATX board because it's smaller than ATX hence MICRO.

oh, and if there's any new standard.. it's BTX.. intel's newest *cough*(way to pass the buck) i mean solution to heat problems

As others have pointed out, cooling is #1. A gaming PC really works the hardware, so it must be kept cool.
If you will go to LAN parties with it, the machine should travel well. Look for particularly sturdy contruction. A strong handle and/or wheels may be nice.
Some gamers like to erect a big ePenis, and lots of [well-ordered] lights that illustrate a clean internal cable layout probably help.

I'm thinking that my next case might have that top blowhole. Any specific suggestions? The case will rarely if ever be moved.

chased13

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2006
both those cases are xxx lian li also makes nice (plain like it or not) quality cases w/ decent airflow

i just went through this and decided on a centurion 532 - only 50 bux on egg after the rebate

2 120mm (front back) and 80(i beilve) can fit on the side

much cheaper- i did this as opposed to those cases talked about above b/c i
1)didnt feel like spending much
2)put the money towards a modular psu