Epson Stylus Photo R310....CD/DVD label printing

Howdy....bought the above mentioned and want to know can I use normal media
to print on or do I need specially coated media, and another thing, can I
download media labels and use them to print my media with using this
printer, can't find answers anywhere because the salesman was a novice, so I
bought it and tried to figure it out myself but as you can see, posting this
means I haven't been able to!

PS....known as R320 outside of Australia.

Tom.

"ZepDawg®" <zepdawg@ozemail.com.au> wrote in message
> Howdy....bought the above mentioned and want to know can I use normal
> media
> to print on or do I need specially coated media, and another thing, can I
> download media labels and use them to print my media with using this
> printer, can't find answers anywhere because the salesman was a novice, so
> bought it and tried to figure it out myself but as you can see, posting
> this
> means I haven't been able to!
>

> PS....known as R320 outside of Australia.
>
> Tom.

I don't have your printer, but any CD printer needs specially coated media,
the ink won't stick to normal CDs. Depending on where you are, I find
www.umart.net good value and reliable for cakes for 25-50 printable CDs or
DVDs. Also www.eyo.com.au, or http://www.computermarket.com.au/ (all in
Sydney)

I don't know what you mean by downloading media labels? If they are jpg
files, you can load these into your CD label software as an image and print
them that way.

Hi Caitlin..........How do I get them to be jpg files onto my system in the
first place if I'm looking for a particular say Zeppelin CD label without
downloading them and also are the specially coated media good qulaity media
for music and video burning?

Tom.

"Caitlin" <caitlin_online_spamtrap@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "ZepDawg®" <zepdawg@ozemail.com.au> wrote in message
> > Howdy....bought the above mentioned and want to know can I use normal
> > media
> > to print on or do I need specially coated media, and another thing, can
> > download media labels and use them to print my media with using this
> > printer, can't find answers anywhere because the salesman was a novice,
so
> > bought it and tried to figure it out myself but as you can see, posting
> > this
> > means I haven't been able to!
> >

> > PS....known as R320 outside of Australia.
> >
> > Tom.
> >

> I don't have your printer, but any CD printer needs specially coated
media,
> the ink won't stick to normal CDs. Depending on where you are, I find
> www.umart.net good value and reliable for cakes for 25-50 printable CDs or
> DVDs. Also www.eyo.com.au, or http://www.computermarket.com.au/ (all in
> Sydney)
>
> I don't know what you mean by downloading media labels? If they are jpg
> files, you can load these into your CD label software as an image and
print
> them that way.

I apologize if I am not fully fluent in down under speak.

Are you asking if you can use regular CD and DVD blanks in the printer
and print labels on those? If that's the question, the answer is NO.
You must use a CD or DVD that has a inkjet receivable surface on it.
They come in white and clear versions.

I don't understand the question about downloading media labels.

Art

ZepDawg® wrote:

> Howdy....bought the above mentioned and want to know can I use normal media
> to print on or do I need specially coated media, and another thing, can I
> download media labels and use them to print my media with using this
> printer, can't find answers anywhere because the salesman was a novice, so I
> bought it and tried to figure it out myself but as you can see, posting this
> means I haven't been able to!
>

> PS....known as R320 outside of Australia.
>
> Tom.

Douglas

I think he is speaking of the online sites that have cd/dvd label images you
can download.If he makes a GOOGLE search,he will find them.There are also
forums that trade images.These are pretty much in jpg form when
downloaded!You can also scan your own cds and copy thse labels.Here is one
site for label downloading http://www.cdcovers.cc/
"Arthur Entlich" <artistic@telus.net> wrote in message
>I apologize if I am not fully fluent in down under speak.
>
> Are you asking if you can use regular CD and DVD blanks in the printer and
> print labels on those? If that's the question, the answer is NO. You must
> use a CD or DVD that has a inkjet receivable surface on it. They come in
> white and clear versions.
>
> I don't understand the question about downloading media labels.
>
> Art
>

> ZepDawg® wrote:
>
>> Howdy....bought the above mentioned and want to know can I use normal
>> media
>> to print on or do I need specially coated media, and another thing, can I
>> download media labels and use them to print my media with using this
>> printer, can't find answers anywhere because the salesman was a novice,
>> so I
>> bought it and tried to figure it out myself but as you can see, posting
>> this
>> means I haven't been able to!
>>

>> PS....known as R320 outside of Australia.
>>
>> Tom.

Must be the way I word things, thanks Douglas for understanding my
roundabout way of explaining things, also thanks for the link, just what I
wanted to know!

Tom.

"Douglas" <.> wrote in message news:u-idnWneWNq2ScbfRVn-vQ@centurytel.net...
> I think he is speaking of the online sites that have cd/dvd label images
you
> can download.If he makes a GOOGLE search,he will find them.There are also
> forums that trade images.These are pretty much in jpg form when
> downloaded!You can also scan your own cds and copy thse labels.Here is one
> site for label downloading http://www.cdcovers.cc/
> "Arthur Entlich" <artistic@telus.net> wrote in message
> >I apologize if I am not fully fluent in down under speak.
> >
> > Are you asking if you can use regular CD and DVD blanks in the printer
and
> > print labels on those? If that's the question, the answer is NO. You
must
> > use a CD or DVD that has a inkjet receivable surface on it. They come in
> > white and clear versions.
> >
> > I don't understand the question about downloading media labels.
> >
> > Art
> >

> > ZepDawg® wrote:
> >
> >> Howdy....bought the above mentioned and want to know can I use normal
> >> media
> >> to print on or do I need specially coated media, and another thing, can
> >> download media labels and use them to print my media with using this
> >> printer, can't find answers anywhere because the salesman was a novice,
> >> so I
> >> bought it and tried to figure it out myself but as you can see, posting
> >> this
> >> means I haven't been able to!
> >>

> >> PS....known as R320 outside of Australia.
> >>
> >> Tom.

"ZepDawg®" <zepdawg@ozemail.com.au> wrote in message
> Howdy....bought the above mentioned and want to know can I use normal
media
> to print on or do I need specially coated media, and another thing, can I
> download media labels and use them to print my media with using this
> printer, can't find answers anywhere because the salesman was a novice, so
> bought it and tried to figure it out myself but as you can see, posting
this
> means I haven't been able to!
>

> PS....known as R320 outside of Australia.
>
> Tom.

You can use normal (Silver Sided) media if you'll give it two/three or more
days to dry.
Otherwise it'll smear all over the place.

Your best bet is to use Inkjet printable medis.

On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 04:52:23 +0000, Colon Terminus wrote:

> You can use normal (Silver Sided) media if you'll give it two/three or more
> days to dry.
> Otherwise it'll smear all over the place.

That might depend on the brand. I tried with a couple of different ones
and the ink just collected into droplets like rain on a car windscreen.
No use whatsoever :-(

--
Dave
I don't know what I'm doing. That' why I'm here.

The R320 uses dye colorant inks which are not waterproof in and of
themselves. I would expect using a non-"printable" CD or DVD will end
up with an image that will smear and come off at the slightest
provocation of dampness. Is this not your experience?

Art

Colon Terminus wrote:

> "ZepDawg®" <zepdawg@ozemail.com.au> wrote in message
>
>>Howdy....bought the above mentioned and want to know can I use normal
>
> media
>
>>to print on or do I need specially coated media, and another thing, can I
>>download media labels and use them to print my media with using this
>>printer, can't find answers anywhere because the salesman was a novice, so

>>bought it and tried to figure it out myself but as you can see, posting
>
> this
>
>>means I haven't been able to!
>>

>>PS....known as R320 outside of Australia.
>>
>>Tom.
>>

> You can use normal (Silver Sided) media if you'll give it two/three or more
> days to dry.
> Otherwise it'll smear all over the place.
>
> Your best bet is to use Inkjet printable medis.

Absolutely.

I only did this as an experiment. I regularly use Ritek Inkjet Printable
DVDs but I just wanted to see for myself what would happen if you printed
onto a standard DVD. It was an interesting effect, looked amazingly
different than I'd anticipated. It took several days for the ink to dry and
even then if you rubbed your thumb over the surface it'd smear. I don't
recommend this to anyone.

> The R320 uses dye colorant inks which are not waterproof in and of
> themselves. I would expect using a non-"printable" CD or DVD will end
> up with an image that will smear and come off at the slightest
> provocation of dampness. Is this not your experience?
>
> Art
>
> Colon Terminus wrote:
>
> > "ZepDawg®" <zepdawg@ozemail.com.au> wrote in message
> >
> >>Howdy....bought the above mentioned and want to know can I use normal
> >
> > media
> >
> >>to print on or do I need specially coated media, and another thing, can
> >>download media labels and use them to print my media with using this
> >>printer, can't find answers anywhere because the salesman was a novice,
so

> >>bought it and tried to figure it out myself but as you can see, posting
> >
> > this
> >
> >>means I haven't been able to!
> >>

> >>PS....known as R320 outside of Australia.
> >>
> >>Tom.
> >>

> > You can use normal (Silver Sided) media if you'll give it two/three or
more
> > days to dry.
> > Otherwise it'll smear all over the place.
> >
> > Your best bet is to use Inkjet printable medis.

> Dave
> I don't know what I'm doing. That' why I'm here.

LMAO!

On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 00:33:06 +1000, "ZepDawg®"
<zepdawg@ozemail.com.au> wrote:

>Howdy....bought the above mentioned and want to know can I use normal media
>to print on or do I need specially coated media, and another thing, can I
>download media labels and use them to print my media with using this
>printer, can't find answers anywhere because the salesman was a novice, so I
>bought it and tried to figure it out myself but as you can see, posting this
>means I haven't been able to!
>

>PS....known as R320 outside of Australia.
>
>Tom.

Hi:

I have an Epson Stylus Photo R300 (USB2.0) printer. When I bought it I
also bought these blank discs:
1 x 50 disc spindle Verbatim silver surface ink jet printable 1X-52-X
700MB CD-R. Verbatim Reorder# 95005.

1 x 50 disc spindle Verbatim white surface ink jet printable up to 8X
4.7GB DVD-R. Verbatim Reorder# 94981.

I have Nero to burn discs and use the bundled Epson Print CD software
to create/print the designs I want on the discs.

For printable paper, CD-Stomper and Avery to name two, have kits with
applicators, paper label and jewel case sleeve blanks. You can use
their software or improvise with Nero, Adobe Acrobat and a scanner to
create your own paper label and sleeve designs.

For the most part, I've stayed away from paper labels. They are ok for
CD audio discs I suppose since they don't spin very fast.
I just don't trust glued on paper labels for data CD/DVDs even though
I don't notice many bad reports.

I'm very pleased with the results I get with the Epson on both types
of discs mentioned above.

WinXP HE SP2
Plextor PX-708A 8xDVD±R/RW CD-R/RW burner
Canon D1250U2F CanoScan scanner USB 2.0

Happy trails,

"Fleabus" <Xrflynn@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 00:33:06 +1000, "ZepDawg®"
> <zepdawg@ozemail.com.au> wrote:
>
> >Howdy....bought the above mentioned and want to know can I use normal
media
> >to print on or do I need specially coated media, and another thing, can I
> >download media labels and use them to print my media with using this
> >printer, can't find answers anywhere because the salesman was a novice,
so I
> >bought it and tried to figure it out myself but as you can see, posting
this
> >means I haven't been able to!
> >

> >PS....known as R320 outside of Australia.
> >
> >Tom.
> >

> Hi:
>
> I have an Epson Stylus Photo R300 (USB2.0) printer. When I bought it I
> also bought these blank discs:
> 1 x 50 disc spindle Verbatim silver surface ink jet printable 1X-52-X
> 700MB CD-R. Verbatim Reorder# 95005.
>
> 1 x 50 disc spindle Verbatim white surface ink jet printable up to 8X
> 4.7GB DVD-R. Verbatim Reorder# 94981.
>
> I have Nero to burn discs and use the bundled Epson Print CD software
> to create/print the designs I want on the discs.
>
> For printable paper, CD-Stomper and Avery to name two, have kits with
> applicators, paper label and jewel case sleeve blanks. You can use
> their software or improvise with Nero, Adobe Acrobat and a scanner to
> create your own paper label and sleeve designs.
>
> For the most part, I've stayed away from paper labels. They are ok for
> CD audio discs I suppose since they don't spin very fast.
> I just don't trust glued on paper labels for data CD/DVDs even though
> I don't notice many bad reports.
>
> I'm very pleased with the results I get with the Epson on both types
> of discs mentioned above.
>
> WinXP HE SP2
> Plextor PX-708A 8xDVD±R/RW CD-R/RW burner
> Canon D1250U2F CanoScan scanner USB 2.0
>
> Happy trails,

Only disks designed with coatings to accept ink will work. You can not
print on just any old disk. This is clear in the manual provided with your
R300 series Epson printer.

"Fleabus" <Xrflynn@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 00:33:06 +1000, "ZepDawg®"
> <zepdawg@ozemail.com.au> wrote:
>
> >Howdy....bought the above mentioned and want to know can I use normal
media
> >to print on or do I need specially coated media, and another thing, can I
> >download media labels and use them to print my media with using this
> >printer, can't find answers anywhere because the salesman was a novice,
so I
> >bought it and tried to figure it out myself but as you can see, posting
this
> >means I haven't been able to!
> >

> >PS....known as R320 outside of Australia.
> >
> >Tom.
> >

> Hi:
>
> I have an Epson Stylus Photo R300 (USB2.0) printer. When I bought it I
> also bought these blank discs:
> 1 x 50 disc spindle Verbatim silver surface ink jet printable 1X-52-X
> 700MB CD-R. Verbatim Reorder# 95005.
>
> 1 x 50 disc spindle Verbatim white surface ink jet printable up to 8X
> 4.7GB DVD-R. Verbatim Reorder# 94981.
>
> I have Nero to burn discs and use the bundled Epson Print CD software
> to create/print the designs I want on the discs.
>
> For printable paper, CD-Stomper and Avery to name two, have kits with
> applicators, paper label and jewel case sleeve blanks. You can use
> their software or improvise with Nero, Adobe Acrobat and a scanner to
> create your own paper label and sleeve designs.
>
> For the most part, I've stayed away from paper labels. They are ok for
> CD audio discs I suppose since they don't spin very fast.
> I just don't trust glued on paper labels for data CD/DVDs even though
> I don't notice many bad reports.
>
> I'm very pleased with the results I get with the Epson on both types
> of discs mentioned above.
>
> WinXP HE SP2
> Plextor PX-708A 8xDVD±R/RW CD-R/RW burner
> Canon D1250U2F CanoScan scanner USB 2.0
>
> Happy trails,

Actually, you CAN print on just any disc. You get some wildly interesting
effects that way. The problem, and it is an insurmountable problem, is that
the ink will NEVER completely dry. If you try this just to see the effect,
please DON'T try to play the disc. It ain't good for your player and may
even damage/obscure the lens.