Looking for a good socket A MB.

Hicks121

Distinguished
May 22, 2006
I am looking for a socket A mother board for my AMD Barton. I need something that will overclock really well. Currently using a Soyo(crap). Any of you old dogs around here have any suggestions for me?

I am going to be upgrading to AM2 or Conroe, but I am going to wait til all products hit the streets & have been there for a couple of months.

Thanks guys!!

mesarectifier

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
I've had bad experience with nForce2 chipset boards with Barton core Athlons.

The best socket A board I've used is an Abit, but I think thats a freak - I've never had gooed experience with Abit other than one board.

Hicks121

Distinguished
May 22, 2006
I do want to do some overclocking, as i have it oc'd now to 2.2g. but the Soyo kt-600 rev 1.0 is junk & I got the north bridge too hot. Are there issues with the NF2 chipset & overclocking?

kona

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2005
I have had really good luck with Nfofrce2 ultra chipsets with overclocking. I would highly reccommend you take a look at the board that 4ryan6 pointed out as its loaded and has a really good bios for overclocking. I have owned several EPOX boards recently in various builds and have had mostly good luck with them. I had a few issues with the EPOX in my current rig and had to RMA it twice but now its working fine. All of the other 3 boards that I have used recently from EPOX are working fine. One is on a VIA chipset two are on Nforce4 ultras and one is on a Nforce2 ultra.

danizaken

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2005
I think the best socket A motherboards are:
1) Abit nf7-s v2.0
2)Asus a7n8x deluxe

Both are based on the successful Nforce 2 chipset, but pretty hard to find.

i would go with an older, but LOADED AOpen AK77-600max<Br>
the board has everything on it, and its a brilliant overclocker<Br>
also has got dual bios, and slave pci if you use it

2inthagoo

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2006
if your not happy with that, go with an NF7-S. Awsome board, tons of diff bios to try.. trats d27_619R2 worked awsome for me and my ocz, 245fsb at 2-3-3-11 24/7 death caused by volt mod gone wrong :(

jimytheassassin

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2006
Soyo Mobos are best used as frisbees :lol: Pure junk
I got burned by them in rma twice.. so did my cpu when it fried...and it wasn't OC'd either
Abit Nf7-s V.2.0 There are several variants.. DON'T GET the Nf7-s2! It's not the same. I have built several computers around this board and all have been ROCK SOLID.. check some reviews and posts. This board talks the talk..and walks the walk

2inthagoo

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2006
Soyo Mobos are best used as frisbees :lol: Pure junk
I got burned by them in rma twice.. so did my cpu when it fried...and it wasn't OC'd either
Abit Nf7-s V.2.0 There are several variants.. DON'T GET the Nf7-s2! It's not the same. I have built several computers around this board and all have been ROCK SOLID.. check some reviews and posts. This board talks the talk..and walks the walk

you know it compadre, i had more fun with that system, then with my 939s heheh.

Hicks121

Distinguished
May 22, 2006
Well that Epox board rocks!! My system has never been this stable & fast. Working now at getting the max o/c I can get.

In regard to my Soyo board, it is going to become a target this weekrnd at the firing range. Going to put it to death :twisted: .

Hicks121

Distinguished
May 22, 2006
No way brotha!! No joking around here...lol! I killed it with my SKS at the 150 yard range. I kinda ticked though, forgot my camera, or I would have posted some b4 & after picks..lol

ZOldDude

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006
I am looking for a socket A mother board for my AMD Barton. I need something that will overclock really well. Currently using a Soyo(crap). Any of you old dogs around here have any suggestions for me?

I am going to be upgrading to AM2 or Conroe, but I am going to wait til all products hit the streets & have been there for a couple of months.

Thanks guys!!

DFI makes the best MB imho.

ZOldDude

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006
I do want to do some overclocking, as i have it oc'd now to 2.2g. but the Soyo kt-600 rev 1.0 is junk & I got the north bridge too hot. Are there issues with the NF2 chipset & overclocking?

With the DFI board you can do 2.5/2.6 with your Barton.