julesjt

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2004
I am getting ready to purchase a new monitor and go from CRT to LCD. I want to make sure that gaming will not be an issue. There are 3 monitors I am looking at.

Viewsonic's vx922, vx924 or the wide screen vx2025wm.

Does anyone have experience with the above or know of a great LCD gaming display and of course video since it will be my TV in my gameroom using a USB TV tuner.

What matters most in LCD gaming is the response time shoot for 8ms or lower, the lower the number the faster the response, for example a 25ms will produce smears when turning corners in games like FPS, and also in some DVD playback in fast action sceens when played back on a computer.

8ms is great I have a 19" Samsung and she is crystal, but lower than 8ms say a 4ms would even be better!

julesjt

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2004
Well the Viewsonic vx922 is 2ms and the vx923 is 3ms. The vx2025wm is 8ms but wide screen and I somewhat wanted to go with wide screen.

How can you be sure the picture quality will be as good as CRT? I want to make the picture quality is good. Is your LCD quality good for you?

So you are sure 8ms will be enough to give flawless game play?

p05esto

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
I have a Dell 2405 24" widescreen and love it. I got mine for $860.

It has RCA inputs so I just run a line to the monitor from my VCR/DVD and can watch TV and movies even when the computer is off. It works just like a TV (high-def :) in that regard.

It's 16ms for gaming. I'm not hard-core but I don't notice any ghosting. I notice my 7900GT (volt modded) barely keeps up on high settings at the 1920x1200 resolution. Barely. I have to turn things down a tad in some games.

sailer

Splendid
I have a VX 924 and it works very well with one exception; when playing a game that has a diiferent resolution then the monitors, annoying messages get displayed that give direction to change the resolution of the games.

LordBelial

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2006
I have a 19inch view sonic crt, and 2 months ago i decide to buy an lcd, well, i bought 3 in 2 weeks time, and returned them all. i bought two at 8ms responsce and one at 4ms. None better than my viewsonic, in clearity color, or the smear and ghosting is terrible on lcds. Even if the response time is 4ms in description, it doesnt mean it stays at the stated repsonse, it means it HAS gone down that low before, not constant. The reaso n i bought 3 was because i thought it was just me, or bad luck. Lcd's just suck right now, i could be picky also, but alls i know, the last thing i want to see after spending 500 bucks on lcd's is when spinning around in cs or other First person shooter, is a horrible smear which is so bad sometimes, you can barely make out an object because of how blurry it gets. If you got the desk space, id stick with crts for gaming.

siggsy

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2006
I have a VX 924 and it works very well with one exception; when playing a game that has a diiferent resolution then the monitors, annoying messages get displayed that give direction to change the resolution of the games.

Sure, but isn't that in the options to turn off the automatic resolution notifier?

Back on the subject, at the moment I haven't really heard that many good things about widescreen tft's for gaming but they are getting better all the time.

There are 3 normal tft's that I'd take some interest in though and they are;

Viewsonic VX922
BenQ FP63GX
Samsung Syncmaster 940BF

All 3 of these have a 2ms grey to grey response time and I'm finding it hard to find any bad comments about them that would affect the purchase.

Must admit, I'm in the same boat as you at the moment, I'm not sure which one to choose. Although I don't have the requirement of using it as a tv though.

julesjt

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2004
I currently have a Sony Trititron 21" and I agree that is why I want to be absolutely sure. I plan on building a new gaming rig once the DX10 supported GPU cards come out and do not want to lose any visual quality.

You just pretty much made my mind to spend the money on better things and wait awhile before upgrading to a new display.

I was looking into getting the samsung 24" LCD but maybe to wait til they prove LCD looks as good if not better then CRT.

julesjt

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2004
It one of my hardest decisions because there is no straight answer. I am all about the visual quality and that is why I am spending the money in the near future for a new gaming rig when the DX10 support GPUs come out.

I do not want to play Crysis on a display that would give me less quaility then my current CRT.

I just dont understand why there are not any CRTs that support DVI?

LordBelial

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2006
It one of my hardest decisions because there is no straight answer. I am all about the visual quality and that is why I am spending the money in the near future for a new gaming rig when the DX10 support GPUs come out.

I do not want to play Crysis on a display that would give me less quaility then my current CRT.

I just dont understand why there are not any CRTs that support DVI?
im the same way,been playing FPS and other games for years and years on my crt. and right hwen i plugged in my first lcd, coming from my crt, i actually thought it was a defect.."why does teh screen get blurry when i turn around quick?" and i tried everything to fix it, and then after my 3rd one, i found out, thats what lcd's do. People will say "ahh no, lcds are awesome and dont do that" If your worried about visual quality, wait until they make lcd's better, cuz iv heard that a million times " i cant see a difference only that its brighter than my crt" ...then they must be blind, because it is the worst thing to see smear and ghosting while playing games, especially if you have a nice sized crt. Dont fix something that isnt broke, just stickw ith your crt until they make better quality lcd's. OH and for dvi, people made it sound like a big deal, i didnt see even the slightest bit of difference in quality between my crt that has analog, and the lcd's had dvi. no dfference. Their might be a difference, but i absolutely saw none.

trinitron6_03

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2006
ok, this is my opinion.. now i am shopping for a LCD as well, my pics were a VX922, and VX924(i think its a 924 lol) ok

one of my good friends specializes in monitors, CRT and LCD.. now this is what he told me

look for a 300 brightness
look for a high contrast 500:1 and below.. just forget
600:1 and higher definatly go for.. but i must warn.. the higher the contrast ratio the higher the price..

as for reponse time.. if its at 8.. its fine.. 8 and below are great.. anything higher.. well your just losing out.

this is what im thinking of.. it is abit expensive.. but its worth it

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16824001226

thats what im getting

APieceOfCheese

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2006
I have the BenQ 20.1' widescreen and its amazing. Newegg has a deal sometimes where you can get it for $300. It's definitely the best bang for your buck if you want to go wide.

cptdread

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2006
IMHO, if you match your flat screen with your computer system, you should not notice any ghosting with the proper monitor. If you are running a High End Gaming that can run a game @ 190 FPS @ 1024x768, then get a larger monitor that will run 1280x1024 or even 1600x1200 native so that your game is in the 50-80 fps range (with all the eye candy on).

If you have a low end gaming rig and try to run a game on a 21" @ 1600x1200, you will have to lower the eye candy so that it is playable @ 20-30fps.

Also, be aware that some games do not support the wide screen resolutions @ higher resolution levels.

Playing any game outside of the flat screen's native resolution can result in ghosting and visual problems.

Look at your system you will be buying (or own) and see what the reviews say on the fps for the games you play. From this, narrow the list down to a few monitors that match those resolutions and look at professional and individual reviews to see what they say. A monitor can be good @ gaming but horrible with movies and visa-versa. Make a decision on those items.

I hope this helps and again, IMHO. I personally hated lugging around my old 19" monitor to friends Lan sessions (or even moving it accross the room when at my place). Now my 17" LCD is the best decision I ever made. It has survived 3 computer upgrades.

yourmothersanastronaut

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006
I just got my new BenQ FP202W LCD - this thing is incredible. It's a 20" display at 1680 x 1050, with an 8ms response time and 16.7 million colors - it's an 8-bit panel, so color definition is really really good. Came with no dead or stuck pixels. I have no bad things to say about it, but I haven't had it for more than a few hours.

LordBelial

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2006
Lcd's look nicer, but why fix something that isnt broke? unless your crt monitor is broke, no point in getting an lcd, especially if your gaming, unless your desk is starting to bow from the weight.haha Lcds have a crystal clear picture, yea...until you pull up a fast pace gaming,if your worried about gaming, DONT DO IT! iv had plenty experience with different ones, including the high end 19 inch LG with 700-1 contrast 300 brightness and 8 ms.and a smasung 4ms repsonce (not black and white). IT SUCKED! and it costs 500 some bucks at best buy.

julesjt

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2004
I am glad I started this forum, there is nothing better then getting real world advice and seeing what others think.

I will not upgrade until they get a bit better and when I want to go 24" or 30" wide.

Plus if I go with a high end LCD my current card will not do well with the higher resolutions in the new games like F.E.A.R.

Thanks everyone!!!!

Anchoku

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2005
Right now, all LCDs have response time problems and makers do lots of things to try to correct the problem; things like overdriving the gray scale, buffering the data and figuring out where it's going, blinking or scanning the backlight, etc.

In, maybe, 5 years, OCB or something similar should be available. OLED displays may also be available in sizes larger than cell phones. These technologies are faster than the current TN, IPS and VA LCDs.

You can also check into projectors and OLED goggles.

sailer

Splendid
I've tried to turn off the automatic resolution notifier but it ignores me. I hate it when computers or computer parts ignore my wishes. Kind of like my ex-wife. Haven't made the LCD my ex-LCD yet, as it still does other things that I like.

siggsy

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2006
I've tried to turn off the automatic resolution notifier but it ignores me. I hate it when computers or computer parts ignore my wishes. Kind of like my ex-wife. Haven't made the LCD my ex-LCD yet, as it still does other things that I like.

Hahaha nice one - one thing to remember, if the lcd becomes the ex-lcd at least it won't take away more money from you ;)...................and it certainly won't get too upset if you swap it out for a younger model :D

vonhetzer

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2006
I picked up the 24" Acer AL2416W(D)back in October 2005. Yes it has DVI.
1000:1 Contrast ratio: 500 brightness and 6ms response.
1920x1200 resolution. 178 degree viewing angle. Text looks good in all
resolutions, not just native rez like some other LCDs.
Like one review says..it has an ok case/housing but a Ferrari "engine"
I waited a few years before buying an LCD..I wanted something that could
compare image quality wise with my Viewsonic GS790 CRT..this one does it.
Can't wait to put Vista up on this screen :)
You can get one of these for around $1000 cdn right now.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Antec SLK3700AMB 480w True Power
AMD 64 3700+ Asus A8N-E
2gig PC3200 Corsair VS Dual Channel 4x512
eVga 7800GTX 256mb
6' DVI to AcerAL2416W & 26' DVI to RCA 50" Scenium
200gig Maxtor + 300gig Maxtor
Audigy 1 (MP3) + Logitech 680z 5.1
Logitech MX518 + Saitek PC Gamer