CPU for Toshiba notebook

reaper

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2005
My mom's laptop cpu is fried, it's a pentium 4 so it's understandable. I wonder if I can use pentium M or Core Duo on the laptop since they are using socket 478?

You would need to research the motherboard model number and see what the BIOS is capable of running, or what it can be flashed to run.

But

Sometimes when a CPU goes it affects the M/B also, or you may have a bad M/B itself and nothing wrong with the CPU, how do you know for sure the CPU is the problem, you need somehow to make sure the M/B is OK by swapping out a known good CPU to test it with before investing in a new CPU just to be cautious.

If you've already had this testing done by a local repair shop you didn't mention it in your help request and I'm just trying to make sure you've covered all the possibilities.

reaper

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2005
Thanks so much for your quick reply. Yes, I did bring it to a computer repair shop, and they determined it is the CPU fault, Im not sure about the mobo, but I'll ask them for more info. So running the Pentium M is a possibility? I'll post the model number for the notebook as soon as I get it back.

Lord-Ilpolazzo

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
My mom's laptop cpu is fried, it's a pentium 4 so it's understandable. I wonder if I can use pentium M or Core Duo on the laptop since they are using socket 478?

I really dont think its a good idea to try puting a different type of processor in it, it would be a tricky enough job trying to get hold of an approptiate one, then as mentioned above and even if you get that far, the computer may "reject" the transplant anyway. If you really must have a stab at putting a new processor in, by far the safest route to go would be finding an identical Pentium 4 Mobile processor (or one of similar speed, but same processor family) That way itd be prety much guaranteed to work since you wouldnt have to be concerned about compatibility issues. Youd just have to worry about getting the laptop appart and succesfully installing the new cpu.

If you do get that far, be sure to read up (if you dont already know) on the various procedures for appling thermal paste, installing heatsinks and the like, so as to ensure that you install it propperly and reduce any risk of killing it from impropper heatsink installation, especialy important in a laptop dure to the reduced cooling tolerances. escuse me if you already know all that, in which case ignore my last paragraph

YO_KID37

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
Lolls. Shakira's Crap Hole Finally got locked. WTF?? How can 478socket have one extra pin??? That's like giving a AM2 and saying its a s939 pr evenm a socket 940(same pin/bios incompatability)

TRENDING THREADS