Again: Virtual Modem for VoIP

Question: Can my computer use VoIP to connect to a modem?

So besides arguing over whether or not this is a good idea.
Does anyone have a good idea to whether this is possible or not?

I want to use it to connect from a computer to several modems at once.

I have to connect to several relative stupid(*) measurment boxes.
They have a 9600 modem and sometimes tha data can take a couple
of hours to download. I want to be able to do this without using
several modems and telephone lines.

Or does anyone have a better idea?

(*)They cannot change in anyway.

Stumproot wrote:
> Question: Can my computer use VoIP to connect to a modem?
>
> So besides arguing over whether or not this is a good idea.
> Does anyone have a good idea to whether this is possible or not?
>
> I want to use it to connect from a computer to several modems at once.
>
> I have to connect to several relative stupid(*) measurment boxes.
> They have a 9600 modem and sometimes tha data can take a couple
> of hours to download. I want to be able to do this without using
> several modems and telephone lines.
>
> Or does anyone have a better idea?
>

> (*)They cannot change in anyway.

Sure you can, BUT... ask your VoIP provider if their compression
algorithms will work with your particular modem.

Cloaked

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2003

Yes, connecting with a modem would be just like sending a FAX.

My VOIP provider does say you can do it (FAX), but they also say that
you have to tell them in advance before they will guarantee that it
will work! No doubt they configure specified lines to accomodate this.

Cloaked wrote:
> Yes, connecting with a modem would be just like sending a FAX.
>
> My VOIP provider does say you can do it (FAX), but they also say that
> you have to tell them in advance before they will guarantee that it
> will work! No doubt they configure specified lines to accomodate this.

Not according to what I have heard: there are "some brands" of FAX that
will not work (or not work well) with certain ATA (analog/home telephone
adapters).

Cloaked

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2003

Fair enough. Then they are just making sure that you get equipment
that will work with the FAX.

I thought there might be some sort of QoS configuration involved.
After all, a FAX is a real-time 2 way link. To guarantee it working
properly, you could raise the priority on the QoS.

On Wed, 04 May 2005 14:54:35 -0400, Rick Merrill
<rick0.merrill@gmailNO.SPAMcom> wrote:

>Cloaked wrote:
>> Yes, connecting with a modem would be just like sending a FAX.
>>
>> My VOIP provider does say you can do it (FAX), but they also say that
>> you have to tell them in advance before they will guarantee that it
>> will work! No doubt they configure specified lines to accomodate this.
>
>Not according to what I have heard: there are "some brands" of FAX that
>will not work (or not work well) with certain ATA (analog/home telephone
>adapters).

If you're going to connect to remote devices that are all on modems then
you're not going to be able to escape using multiple phone lines. That is,
if the remote device is only connected via a POTS line then VOIP isn't going
to help.

If the remote devices have IP available then there's no need for VOIP at
all. Just use a serial-to-ethernet device.

For some reason you've latched onto the idea of misusing modems, dsp chips
and VOIP for this purporse. None of your MANY explanations have ever really
justified the hassles you keep proposing.