Sign in with
Your question

Win 7 Updates Slow Down My Computer

Last response: in Windows 7
April 30, 2011 2:08:47 AM

Hi there,

So I have a Dell XPS Studio 1645 laptop. It's been a solid all-purpose machine for the most part. I like to game on it when I can and it holds up pretty well, running Starcraft 2 on medium/high settings, Batman Arkham Asylum on medium/high, and League of Legends maxed out.

I get pretty picky when it comes to frames per second (FPS). If there's a slowdown (less than 35) I like to know why and usually take steps to remedy as soon as I can. A few months ago I realized that my FPS were starting to take a real hit. At the time it seemed to creep up on me, so I didn't really notice it at first. After it was pretty apparent there was an issue with all the programs/games I was running, I decided to do a system restore. This fixed the problem and I recognized it had originated with some recent Windows 7 updates that I had set to "auto-update." Since some time had passed, I wasn't sure of the exact update, so I just turned the updates off and resumed my activities as normal.

A few months later, I've had some problems with my email security. My provider mentioned that out-dated operating systems can be a source of this issue. So reluctantly, I've turned "auto-update" back on and have fully updated my Windows 7 operating system. But as before, the slowdowns are back. My FPS are at a crawl and even my internet browser seems to be slower.

Anyone out there have experience with this issue?

Specs: MS Windows 7 Pro 64-bit, Intel Core i7 CPU Q 720 @ 1.60GHz, 6 GB RAM, ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5730
May 18, 2011 11:09:37 PM

Hello,

I have the same problem and was wondering if you found a solution yet. I bought a brand new Gateway i7 2600 with Windows 7 64 bit home premium, 8 gb ram, 1 tb hard drive and an adi raedon video card. It was lightning fast out of the box but then I got a message that there were 75 updates that needed to be downloaded (no exaggeration). After that the machine slowed down to a crawl. Trying to open something like the Control Panel or Internet Explorer took forever. Even moving the mouse or typing had delays. I thought the problem was the software I was installing, but after surfing the web I discovered that there are a lot of people with this problem. I tried using the system restore to go back to the day before I installed all the updates but it did not solve the problem. I finally had to put in the restore discs and start over with a clean install. It is now super fast again and I turned off automatic updates.

I have a 3 month old e-machine in another room with an AMD chip and it does automatic updates all the time with no issue.

On difference between the two machines is I installed Microsoft Office 2007 on the new Gateway and about 15 of the 75 updates were related to office. Downstairs I am using Open Office.

Please let me know if you find an answer.
m
l
May 24, 2011 5:22:54 PM

The phnemona is known as "Windows Rot", and yes ... it is a real pain.
The system disk is flooded with old versions of Windows files that have been replaced.

And they are saved for what purpose? So I can backout a change?
That's just crazy talk. Windows only has one (forward) direction, in my opinion.

One way to avoid the problem is to use the concept of "Slip Stream" to integrate Windows fixes into the install media, before installing ... or to use in refreshing the Windows system.

This will save a bunch of disk space, and is particularly important if you are installing on SSD media. Make Windows as clean as you can get on the initial install.
m
l
!