So I have a Dell XPS Studio 1645 laptop. It's been a solid all-purpose machine for the most part. I like to game on it when I can and it holds up pretty well, running Starcraft 2 on medium/high settings, Batman Arkham Asylum on medium/high, and League of Legends maxed out.
I get pretty picky when it comes to frames per second (FPS). If there's a slowdown (less than 35) I like to know why and usually take steps to remedy as soon as I can. A few months ago I realized that my FPS were starting to take a real hit. At the time it seemed to creep up on me, so I didn't really notice it at first. After it was pretty apparent there was an issue with all the programs/games I was running, I decided to do a system restore. This fixed the problem and I recognized it had originated with some recent Windows 7 updates that I had set to "auto-update." Since some time had passed, I wasn't sure of the exact update, so I just turned the updates off and resumed my activities as normal.
A few months later, I've had some problems with my email security. My provider mentioned that out-dated operating systems can be a source of this issue. So reluctantly, I've turned "auto-update" back on and have fully updated my Windows 7 operating system. But as before, the slowdowns are back. My FPS are at a crawl and even my internet browser seems to be slower.
Anyone out there have experience with this issue?
Specs: MS Windows 7 Pro 64-bit, Intel Core i7 CPU Q 720 @ 1.60GHz, 6 GB RAM, ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5730
I have the same problem and was wondering if you found a solution yet. I bought a brand new Gateway i7 2600 with Windows 7 64 bit home premium, 8 gb ram, 1 tb hard drive and an adi raedon video card. It was lightning fast out of the box but then I got a message that there were 75 updates that needed to be downloaded (no exaggeration). After that the machine slowed down to a crawl. Trying to open something like the Control Panel or Internet Explorer took forever. Even moving the mouse or typing had delays. I thought the problem was the software I was installing, but after surfing the web I discovered that there are a lot of people with this problem. I tried using the system restore to go back to the day before I installed all the updates but it did not solve the problem. I finally had to put in the restore discs and start over with a clean install. It is now super fast again and I turned off automatic updates.
I have a 3 month old e-machine in another room with an AMD chip and it does automatic updates all the time with no issue.
On difference between the two machines is I installed Microsoft Office 2007 on the new Gateway and about 15 of the 75 updates were related to office. Downstairs I am using Open Office.