Possible to drive a Garmin GPS from Flight Sim?

I've got a Garmin GPSmap96C. Anyone know if it's possible to drive the
unit's aircraft position when it's put into simulation mode from a PC
through either the USB or serial interfaces? Would be good to practice
using a proper device instead of an FS window. (Hey does that mean I've got
a home-made cockpit now??)

Si
9 answers Last reply
More about possible drive garmin flight

    Check out Peter Dowson's WideFS program. It's payware, might do what
    you want -- check the docs first, which you can download free.

    Or, if you have a second computer, try MyFSGoogle.

    Both can be found immediately with a Google search.

    Hi Simon

    I think you better try first the GPSOut freeware of PeterDawson
    This will put the aircraft position on a serial port on the PC you run MSFS
    on
    I use it to get a moving map with Garmin's Mapsouce software on a separate
    notebook

    See you, Jan
    http://home.wxs.nl/~jarkest/home.html

    "David Wilson-Okamura" <David Wilson-Okamura@forums.simradar.com> wrote in
    message news:1126820856.1244@forums.simradar.com...
    > Check out Peter Dowson's WideFS program. It's payware, might do what
    > you want -- check the docs first, which you can download free.
    >
    > Or, if you have a second computer, try MyFSGoogle.
    >
    > Both can be found immediately with a Google search.

    Well, I'd like to say this about you home set up. WOW!
    Nuff said.

    "Jan Arkesteijn" <jan.arkesteijn@wxs.nl> wrote in message
    > Hi Simon
    >
    > I think you better try first the GPSOut freeware of PeterDawson
    > This will put the aircraft position on a serial port on the PC you run
    > MSFS on
    > I use it to get a moving map with Garmin's Mapsouce software on a separate
    > notebook
    >
    > See you, Jan
    > http://home.wxs.nl/~jarkest/home.html
    >

    > "David Wilson-Okamura" <David Wilson-Okamura@forums.simradar.com> wrote in
    > message news:1126820856.1244@forums.simradar.com...
    >> Check out Peter Dowson's WideFS program. It's payware, might do what
    >> you want -- check the docs first, which you can download free.
    >>
    >> Or, if you have a second computer, try MyFSGoogle.
    >>
    >> Both can be found immediately with a Google search.

    "Jan Arkesteijn" <jan.arkesteijn@wxs.nl> wrote in message
    > I think you better try first the GPSOut freeware of PeterDawson
    > This will put the aircraft position on a serial port on the PC you run
    MSFS
    > on
    > I use it to get a moving map with Garmin's Mapsouce software on a separate
    > notebook

    Thanks, but that's not what I had in mind. I want to use my handheld GPS
    with flightsim. Mapsource doesn't have the aviation maps built in that my
    GPS does.

    Cheers,

    Si

    On Sat, 17 Sep 2005 11:32:40 +0100, Simon Robbins wrote:

    > "Jan Arkesteijn" <jan.arkesteijn@wxs.nl> wrote in message
    >> I think you better try first the GPSOut freeware of PeterDawson
    >> This will put the aircraft position on a serial port on the PC you run
    > MSFS
    >> on
    >> I use it to get a moving map with Garmin's Mapsouce software on a separate
    >> notebook
    >
    > Thanks, but that's not what I had in mind. I want to use my handheld GPS
    > with flightsim. Mapsource doesn't have the aviation maps built in that my
    > GPS does.

    You're not seeing the tree for the forest here. The GPSOut utility will
    enable ANY GPS to be connected to the FS computer's serial port... :)

    Bill

    "Bill Leaming" <n4gix@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > You're not seeing the tree for the forest here. The GPSOut utility will
    > enable ANY GPS to be connected to the FS computer's serial port... :)

    Ok, thanks. I wasn't sure whether my Garmin accepts positional data in, or
    only out.

    Si
  7. Hi I have gpsmap 96C too, and I would also like to connect it to MSFS, could you please send me an email, if you figered out how to do it? THX, my email is DTix@seznam.cz
  8. Hello!

    I have a Garmin 76CSX. Is it possible to use this one as a GPS in flightsim?
    Via USB...
  9. Anyone?

Garmin Video Games