Choosing User profile in XP Home

One i haven't seen before. I have 2 users and a guest
account and when I goto select one of them, it says that
it is loading profile settings, then the next thing it
does is saving profile and logging off. Does this is safe
mode too, even w/ administrator. I previously removed a
ton of spyware w/ SpyBot and AdAware, and now this. Any
ideas? I thought about updating from SP1 to SP2.
Thanks,
Joe
cptech@cpol.net
1 answer Last reply
More about choosing user profile home

    Hi Joe,

    The userinit value may have been corrupted by the removal of blazefind. It
    adds wsaupdater.exe to the logon value in the system registry, sometimes
    appending it, sometimes replacing it. Running Adaware or other cleaners
    detects and removes wsaupdater.exe, but doesn't correct the registry damage.
    If this is the case, then you may need to load the registry hive from
    another installation and change it. This is the key:

    Userinit string value should be:

    C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe,

    On the damaged installations it's one of these:

    C:\WINDOWS\system32\wsaupdater.exe,
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe,C:\WINDOWS\system32\wsaupdater.exe,

    Another "quickie" method of resolution is to load the Recovery Console (see
    below), copy userinit.exe as wsaupdater.exe from the command prompt, then
    restart normally. Once in, go and change the registry value back to what
    it's supposed to be and delete the copied file. To do this, use these
    commands:

    C:\Windows>
    C:\Windows>copy C:\Windows\system32\userinit.exe
    C:\Windows\system32\wsaupdater.exe

    Then you can exit once completed.

    HOW TO: Install and Use the Recovery Console in Windows XP [Q307654]
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307654

    This can also be done by using the 6 disk boot floppy set mentioned in the
    above article, as it loads enough of the Recovery Console so that you can
    copy the file. This is particularly useful if you have an OEM installation
    that includes only a Restore CD, or no disk at all.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "Joe" <cptech@cpol.net> wrote in message
    > One i haven't seen before. I have 2 users and a guest
    > account and when I goto select one of them, it says that
    > it is loading profile settings, then the next thing it
    > does is saving profile and logging off. Does this is safe
    > mode too, even w/ administrator. I previously removed a
    > ton of spyware w/ SpyBot and AdAware, and now this. Any
    > ideas? I thought about updating from SP1 to SP2.
    > Thanks,
    > Joe
    > cptech@cpol.net

Microsoft Windows XP