Ycon

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
Oh, well, if the CPUs are released today, how can there be benches today?

I guess its not too hard to understand that, is it?

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
Oh, well, if the CPUs are released today, how can there be benches today?

I guess its not too hard to understand that, is it?

They have had the chips for months and I assumed that - as usual - the benchmarks would be released as the NDA was up. It happened with every other chip.

I mean I haven't even seen a comprehensive story except one on tom's. I visited HPs site hopingot see hte 13 new 51xx models they are introing but no sign of them.

It's just strange. Maybe it's Karma for what happened at Opteron's launch.

ethernalite

Distinguished
May 24, 2006
You can hate him but he's right about Apache being THE server bench.

Not to be a downer, but assuming linear scaling, the 3.0Ghz Woodcrest chip will beat the 2.6Ghz Opteron in Apache. Considering that Apache is something that doesn't really scale in a completely orderly fashion, it's hard to say whether it will beat it or not, but still. It's a bit early to say that the Opteron beats Woodcrest.

The 2.33Ghz Woodcrest has a 84% of the 2.6Ghz Opteron performance. The 2.33Ghz Woodcrest is only 76% of the clock of the top of the line chip (the 3Ghz). That means that in a perfect world, the top of the line Woodcrest would have 8% higher performance. It is also cheaper than the top of the line Opteron.

While it is too early to say since that is just extrapolation, you can't say that Woodcrest has already lost the Apache bench. In fact, everything would indicate that it is in fact going to beat the Opteron, at a slightly lower price point to boot.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
You can hate him but he's right about Apache being THE server bench.

Not to be a downer, but assuming linear scaling, the 3.0Ghz Woodcrest chip will beat the 2.6Ghz Opteron in Apache. Considering that Apache is something that doesn't really scale in a completely orderly fashion, it's hard to say whether it will beat it or not, but still. It's a bit early to say that the Opteron beats Woodcrest.

The 2.33Ghz Woodcrest has a 84% of the 2.6Ghz Opteron performance. The 2.33Ghz Woodcrest is only 76% of the clock of the top of the line chip (the 3Ghz). That means that in a perfect world, the top of the line Woodcrest would have 8% higher performance. It is also cheaper than the top of the line Opteron.

While it is too early to say since that is just extrapolation, you can't say that Woodcrest has already lost the Apache bench. In fact, everything would indicate that it is in fact going to beat the Opteron, at a slightly lower price point to boot.

No one will admit it yet but I know the Apache benchmark was changed after the reaming of Paxville. (the units anyway)

But i digress, Socket F intros 2.8 and 3.0GHz. there is actually a 2.8 940 but think sun got them all. I also think that the added bandwidth of 667 will be better for server apps than for desktop. 533 FBDIMMs may not cut it.

rainyjyu

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2006
Too bad that gamepc.com site only used 5140/5130 Xeon processors which run in the $300-500 price range as they indicated. The Opteron 275/280/285 run in the $700-1000 price range. I'd be more interested in the comparison of the faster Woodcrests.

Incidentally, go to www.dell.com, select "Servers, Storage & Networking" for Small/Medium/Large Businesses - there's an ad right smack in the middle introducing Dell's new PowerEdge servers based on Woodcrest. I'm surprised you didn't find it after your one minute of searching.

ethernalite

Distinguished
May 24, 2006
But i digress, Socket F intros 2.8 and 3.0GHz. there is actually a 2.8 940 but think sun got them all. I also think that the added bandwidth of 667 will be better for server apps than for desktop. 533 FBDIMMs may not cut it.

Yes, but Woodcrest is out now. You can't buy a Revison F processor yet! :roll:

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
Too bad that gamepc.com site only used 5140/5130 Xeon processors which run in the $300-500 price range as they indicated. The Opteron 275/280/285 run in the $700-1000 price range. I'd be more interested in the comparison of the faster Woodcrests.

Incidentally, go to www.dell.com, select "Servers, Storage & Networking" for Small/Medium/Large Businesses - there's an ad right smack in the middle introducing Dell's new PowerEdge servers based on Woodcrest. I'm surprised you didn't find it after your one minute of searching.

I'm at work and gave up after HP. they usually promote the hell out of Intel.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005

Yes, but Woodcrest is out now. You can't buy a Revison F processor yet! :roll:

true but so is Dempsey, Paxville, prescott, etc. They will keep Woodcrest out of the majority of systems.