Chipset Support for Conroe

rushfan

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2006
Hi all,

I'm confused, and Googling for an answer isn't helping.

Does the 945P chipset, with its 1066 FSB, support Conroe? I have an ASUS P5LD2 LGA775 board that supports Dual-Core processors. I bought the board as a cheap complement to my D 805 but if it supports Conroe too, that would be a real bonus. I didn't research my choice much at all - it was inexpensive, in stock, and supported the 805 which I wanted to try. I won't be heartbroken if it doesn't support the new CPU - I'm willing to buy a new motherboard in a few months anyway.

Your help is appreciated.

Thanks.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
Hi all,

I'm confused, and Googling for an answer isn't helping.

Does the 945P chipset, with its 1066 FSB, support Conroe? I have an ASUS P5LD2 LGA775 board that supports Dual-Core processors. I bought the board as a cheap complement to my D 805 but if it supports Conroe too, that would be a real bonus. I didn't research my choice much at all - it was inexpensive, in stock, and supported the 805 which I wanted to try. I won't be heartbroken if it doesn't support the new CPU - I'm willing to buy a new motherboard in a few months anyway.

Your help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Not the 6700 and up. Only 965 and 975X will support the fatsest Core 2.

Betamaster

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2006
BaronMatrix said:
Only 965 and 975X will support the fatsest Core 2.

How do you know the 975X will support Conroe?? The official list of processor support from Intel is (source)...

Intel® Pentium® Processor Extreme Edition

Intel® Pentium® D Processor

Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor

Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor Extreme Edition supporting Hyper-Threading Technology

shinigamiX

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2006
His mobo will not support any Core 2 Duo CPU dure to VRM and other issues. Manufacturers may adapt the chipsets for Conroe-compatible boards later, but right now only the Rev 304 or later Bad Axe boards from Intel can support Conroe.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
Betamaster said:

How do you know the 975X will support Conroe?? The official list of processor support from Intel is (source)...

Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor Extreme Edition supporting Hyper-Threading Technology

It's been going around that mobos with the latest revs of 975X will support Core 2 6700-up. I'll look for a link.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
His mobo will not support any Core 2 Duo CPU dure to VRM and other issues. Manufacturers may adapt the chipsets for Conroe-compatible boards later, but right now only the Rev 304 or later Bad Axe boards from Intel can support Conroe.

That's what i said. Only 965 and 975X.

rushfan

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2006
His mobo will not support any Core 2 Duo CPU dure to VRM and other issues.

945 will support the lower speed Core 2. 6300 should work fine in his board.

Thanks all, for your input.

I looked a little harder and found a few vendors (ASRock, Biostar) who claim Core 2 Duo support on some of their 945P based motherboards. I hope that my P5LD2 makes the grade too but as I mentioned, I am prepared to buy a new board anyway. I would be happy to pass my overclocked D 805 to my wife and kids to replaced their Celeron D 345 (OC'd to 3.91 GHz).

All of this Intel gear at my house masks the fact that I am a huge AMD fan. I build systems for friends and family and use only Athlon 64 processors in them. I don't dislike Intel (obviously) but I prefer to support the underdog. The Intel parts were bargains that were just too good to pass up. I hope that AMD has something up its sleeve akin to the introduction of the original Athlon back when the Pentium III dominated the market.

RichPLS

Champion
Well, if ya listen to Shakira and LMM on the immanent bankruptcy of Intel, then your recent buying trends indeed do support the underdog... May Intel never DIE!!! Down with AMD, the monopolizer 600lb chimp!

Jake_Barnes

Splendid
Betamaster said:

You might be right in the end the 975 might not be the "go to" chip set, and it's not spec'd on intels site - but I was basing the presumption on some of the earlier tests/benchmarks, as posted in itererations excellent compilation of data:

For example, note the chipset/mobo in this link:
mainboard i975x

Betamaster

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2006
The supported list of processors from Intel® for the D975XBX has not been updated since May 3, so who knows maybe it will one day "officially" support Conroe. Either way, I think its strange that with a release date so close, why haven't Intel® announced boards with full support? Its not as if the CPU spec's can change this late in the game.

Betamaster

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2006
The supported list of processors from Intel® for the D975XBX has not been updated since May 3, so who knows maybe it will one day "officially" support Conroe. Either way, I think its strange that with a release date so close, why haven't Intel® announced boards with full support? Its not as if the CPU spec's can change this late in the game.

I take that back. There is the Intel® Q965 Express Chipset w/ICH8-DO.